• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    Before I start, I have always been proud of my wife. She is smart and overall awesome. Below is her journey...

She is a very small woman. When I met her in college she was less than 100 pounds and under 5 foot tall (I could hold her upside down by her ankle with one hand). Because of her size she has always been aware of her surroundings and made pretty good decisions regarding her personal safety.

However, when we got married she seemingly ceded much of her safety concerns to me as I am very protective an capable of providing an adequate defense in most situations. I have tried over the years to point out that I cannot be with her all of the time and she needed to consider her safety beyond pepper spray. I did not force the issue, as I knew safety has to be a personal decision for it to be carried out in a diligent fashion.

She has always been a supporter of the second ammendment and has never batted an eye at my firearm purchases (I make sure our finances are in order before each purchase). However, she never showed much interest in shooting and only shot my guns enough to know how they operated. Her belief was that she could not shoot someone to protect her life but had no problem with me doing so...

Fastforward 14 yrs to a month ago. She was home alone and there had been a break in across the street that weekend. Someone came to the house late at night and started pounding on the door. She went to where I keep my gun and it was gone. She quickly realized she was screwed if the person decided to kick in the door.
    When I returned home she shared her story and I listened quietly and asked her what she wanted to do. She said she wanted a gun of her own. So I took her shopping and we narrowed it down to a few models that fit her tiny hands. I asked for input here and she bought a Kahr CM9. We have put it through its paces and it has been 100% reliable and she shoots it well. It is the first time I have seen her smile while shooting. She finally feels empowered to protect herself and our daughter if called upon. She has started the ball rolling on getting her carry permit. Last night she asked me what I thought about her carrying, and I told her I was proud of her for taking responsibility for her safety and I know she will be a responsible gun owner. I then sent her a link to both Indiana and Federal gun laws along with a reciprocity map.

I think she is interested in some affordable training in the Indy area for women new to shooting, any suggestions? :draw:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Congratulations to both of you! It is great, that she has accepted the fact that she is the only one that can assure her safety 100% of the time. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun together at the range.

I feel a little different than most about "training". To me it sounds like you have a very good grasp of the safety issues regarding a firearm. Why do you feel someone else could better teach her those rules? As far as handling the gun comfortable, learning to reload quickly and safely, firing the firearm and hitting what she is wanting to hit - These thing come with practice and in my opinion money would be better spent on ammo than a "training class".

I learned the safety rules etc. about 60 years ago from my BIL, just a few years after he got out of the service in WW2. Apparently they were adequate as I have shot thousands of rounds since - in many types of firearms with no "close calls or incidents". I taught my sons and feel they are competent safe shooters.

Unless she intends to compete in accuracy competitions, I doubt there is anything she needs to know you cannot teach her. Just my opinion - sure there are many that disagree!

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    Congratulations to both of you! It is great, that she has accepted the fact that she is the only one that can assure her safety 100% of the time. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun together at the range.

I feel a little different than most about "training". To me it sounds like you have a very good grasp of the safety issues regarding a firearm. Why do you feel someone else could better teach her those rules? As far as handling the gun comfortable, learning to reload quickly and safely, firing the firearm and hitting what she is wanting to hit - These thing come with practice and in my opinion money would be better spent on ammo than a "training class".

I learned the safety rules etc. about 60 years ago from my BIL, just a few years after he got out of the service in WW2. Apparently they were adequate as I have shot thousands of rounds since - in many types of firearms with no "close calls or incidents". I taught my sons and feel they are competent safe shooters.

Unless she intends to compete in accuracy competitions, I doubt there is anything she needs to know you cannot teach her. Just my opinion - sure there are many that disagree!

Thank you for the feed back. I agree with you. She is a very meticulous person and she likes to learn from as many sources as she can. I think a class might help boost her confidence in her capabilities. I know range time and familiarity can do the same thing, but she tends to like structured learning...

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Dust, send her for the training.

Teaching a woman to shoot is like teaching her to drive a car. You can teach her some basics but you're better off placing her in someone else's hands for the fine points.

Mine went to the same training with my stepmother and they both were glad they went.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Training

You may want to look into the course offered by the Boone County Sheriff, Ken Campbell. He offers a "women only" introduction to defensive pistol course. Includes classroom and shooting. Requires 400 rounds of ammunition to participate. You need: Gun, holster, mag pouch, three magazines.

Go to Boone County Sheriff website for more information and the date. Cost, I believe, is $175 for the two day course.

I can't provide first hand experience since my attendance won't occur until June. However, I have talked to several people who all have endorsed this course without reservation. Campbell is an instructor at Gunsite and has other very good credentials. He is also very pro second amendment.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    You may want to look into the course offered by the Boone County Sheriff, Ken Campbell. He offers a "women only" introduction to defensive pistol course. Includes classroom and shooting. Requires 400 rounds of ammunition to participate. You need: Gun, holster, mag pouch, three magazines.

Go to Boone County Sheriff website for more information and the date. Cost, I believe, is $175 for the two day course.

I can't provide first hand experience since my attendance won't occur until June. However, I have talked to several people who all have endorsed this course without reservation. Campbell is an instructor at Gunsite and has other very good credentials. He is also very pro second amendment.

Sadly, the hardest part would be finding 400 rounds of 9mm right now... :rolleyes:

I'll pass the info along to her though, thanks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree that she should have training. A wife will only listen so much to their husband.
    Case in point, how long did it take to get her to want to carry???????

Besides. You can only teach her what you know. Regurgitate.
    This way, she can hear different ideas, and pick what works for her.

And training, because defense is A LOT different than putting bullets down range.
    She needs that to, to be comfortable with the gun.
    But she needs to be able to make split second go/no go decisions.
    See esrices topic on "Top Gun".

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My suggestion is: Don't just tell her...Take her!! of course unless it is a ladies only thing. Many wives are more comfortable with their spouse alongside them for moral support.
    And we can all use a review of our training and technique. (You'll always learn something.)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    My suggestion is: Don't just tell her...Take her!! of course unless it is a ladies only thing. Many wives are more comfortable with their spouse alongside them for moral support.
    And we can all use a review of our training and technique. (You'll always learn something.)

See, I would think just the opposite. I'm sure it depends on the particular woman, (doesn't it always? :n00b:) but I would think they might gain more by focusing on the instructor and not worrying about you watching them.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I think that you could offer to accompany her to a firearms training course and if she wants to go it alone then just step back. JMO

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    See, I would think just the opposite. I'm sure it depends on the particular woman, (doesn't it always? :n00b:) but I would think they might gain more by focusing on the instructor and not worrying about you watching them.
    No worries on that count...the ladies always seem to pay more attention anyway. It's so they can go all:p when they outscore / out shoot us.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    That brings a tear to my eye. My wife is just under 5' and 98 lbs. Very easy on the eyes and despises guns. She hates when I buy them, she hates when I go shooting, and she hates all my magazines and gun shows on TV.

I've said it on other threads, for those of you who have a supportive wife in your firearms hobby...give her an big hug and a smooch next time you see her and thank her.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I think she is interested in some affordable training in the Indy area for women new to shooting, any suggestions? :draw:[/QUOTE]

Try calling Beech Grove Firearms. They have an all-women's class on Saturday, May 18th. My wife and daughter both signed up today. The cost is $150. I think it starts at 10AM and runs 8 hours. We shot there for the first time last week. It's really a nice facility and the instructor who will be teaching the class is a really nice fellow. Hope this helps.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    I think she is interested in some affordable training in the Indy area for women new to shooting, any suggestions? :draw:

Try calling Beech Grove Firearms. They have an all-women's class on Saturday, May 18th. My wife and daughter both signed up today. The cost is $150. I think it starts at 10AM and runs 8 hours. We shot there for the first time last week. It's really a nice facility and the instructor who will be teaching the class is a really nice fellow. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what equipment they need to bring/how much ammo is needed?

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Before I start, I have always been proud of my wife. She is smart and overall awesome. Below is her journey...

She is a very small woman. When I met her in college she was less than 100 pounds and under 5 foot tall (I could hold her upside down by her ankle with one hand). Because of her size she has always been aware of her surroundings and made pretty good decisions regarding her personal safety.

However, when we got married she seemingly ceded much of her safety concerns to me as I am very protective an capable of providing an adequate defense in most situations. I have tried over the years to point out that I cannot be with her all of the time and she needed to consider her safety beyond pepper spray. I did not force the issue, as I knew safety has to be a personal decision for it to be carried out in a diligent fashion.

She has always been a supporter of the second ammendment and has never batted an eye at my firearm purchases (I make sure our finances are in order before each purchase). However, she never showed much interest in shooting and only shot my guns enough to know how they operated. Her belief was that she could not shoot someone to protect her life but had no problem with me doing so...

Fastforward 14 yrs to a month ago. She was home alone and there had been a break in across the street that weekend. Someone came to the house late at night and started pounding on the door. She went to where I keep my gun and it was gone. She quickly realized she was screwed if the person decided to kick in the door.
    When I returned home she shared her story and I listened quietly and asked her what she wanted to do. She said she wanted a gun of her own. So I took her shopping and we narrowed it down to a few models that fit her tiny hands. I asked for input here and she bought a Kahr CM9. We have put it through its paces and it has been 100% reliable and she shoots it well. It is the first time I have seen her smile while shooting. She finally feels empowered to protect herself and our daughter if called upon. She has started the ball rolling on getting her carry permit. Last night she asked me what I thought about her carrying, and I told her I was proud of her for taking responsibility for her safety and I know she will be a responsible gun owner. I then sent her a link to both Indiana and Federal gun laws along with a reciprocity map.

I can, without hesitation, recommend Indy Gun Safety in Fishers. My girlfriend and I took the NRA Basic Pistol last weekend. They have an excellent reputation as "female friendly", which I'm guessing is the reason more than half the class was women.

For two people, it's $260. They include firearms and ammunition, if you want to use your own, you'll need 50 rounds.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Well, i am not married but my mother sounds about like your wife. Shes about 5' and 100lbs, she bought a Sig Sauer P238 and loved it. just a suggestion for next time.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012

I have taken this course, and it is excellent. Ken states that the ladies only course content is no different, other than the attendees. Some women prefer to train only with women, according to him.

My wife has also taken this course and is hoping to be able to attend again with a friend.

The course does an excellent job of building each skill one by one. Starting with the very basics.

Top Bottom