• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyone else watching the documentary Prohibition on PBS?

Good lessons on how racism and bigotry drive public policy, how society refuses to learn from history because this time we are really, really smart (e.g. the prior state-level prohibitions that failed miserably), and how laws are always for "the other guy".

I was really suprised by the tie in to the Sixteenth Amendment. I do not know why I was not more aware of the income tax-prohibition angle.

Prohibition: Home | PBS

Last night's segment ended with an armed robbery of booze from a freight train in Chicago immediately after the Drys proclaimed victory. The violence and corruption start tonight.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I watched with great interest and learned several things I didn't know or hadn't even thought about like you the link between the 16th Amendment and Prohibition is a surprise but makes perfect sense when you see it.
    I'll be there again tonight.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was really suprised by the tie in to the Sixteenth Amendment. I do not know why I was not more aware of the income tax-prohibition angle.

What? I missed that part, I must have been getting a beer or something. I did enjoy how everyone thought it was someone else's behavior that needed controlling. I would have liked to seen firsthand the late 19th/early 20th century.

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people’s habits" - Mark Twain

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    What dawned on me is how the anti booze folks wanted to impose their will on the rest of us. I'm sorry that some women back then had husbands who were goofs, but that doesn't justify forcing an alcohol free society on all of us. Gee, maybe they could do that with guns because we all know how bad guns are for us.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would have liked to seen firsthand the late 19th/early 20th century.

I heard about it from the greatgrandfather. Different but the same.

Tonight I hope they feature George Remus. Nothing highlights the stupidity and evil of Prohibition like Remus.:D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I heard about it from the greatgrandfather. Different but the same.

Tonight I hope they feature George Remus. Nothing highlights the stupidity and evil of Prohibition like Remus.:D

What was the link to the 16th Amendment, I missed it. Though, all those progressive era Amendments were related.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Wets thought that they held a bottleneck (yes, a pun) on Prohibition as the Feds depended upon excise taxes on booze to fund the federal government. Then the Sixteenth Amendment passed and the feds did not need booze taxes.

The Sixteenth Amendment coupled with the Great War is what propelled the Drys over the top.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With my greatgrandfather it was applejack. Beer was brewed as well but not for export.

He made it on the farm in Sullivan County. I still have one of his jugs that he ran into Terre Haute and Indianapolis.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I is quite a documentary to watch. Just substitute the word drugs for the word alcohol and you find we haven't learned from history, and that we can't ban any substance and expect the whole world to suddenly go along.

Hard to believe that the government actually said alcohol was the root of all our problems, and the sheep went along with it. Today, as I said earlier, substitute drugs for the word alcohol and we find nothing has changed other than names.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hard to believe that the government actually said alcohol was the root of all our problems, and the sheep went along with it.

It wasn't the government that said that, it was the Drys that said that.

Busybodies always think that we are only one law away from Utopia.

Working to better yourself is hard and takes discipline and committment. However, working to control others via the law, merely takes a law.:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It wasn't the government that said that, it was the Drys that said that.

Busybodies always think that we are only one law away from Utopia.

Working to better yourself is hard and takes discipline and committment. However, working to control others via the law, merely takes a law.:D

Other busybodies always think we are one repealed law away from anarchy. I see that theme on this very site almost daily.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It does offend me that the program is relying so heavily on that filthy gun prohibitionist, Pete Hamill. I remember, because of its vicious ignorance, an anti-gun rant in his column 30 years ago when I was a high schooler. He's produced similar paroxysms every now and then since that time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great ending.

I especially like how it highlighted the racism and bigotry of the 1928 campaign when members of the DOJ were speaking against immigrants and Catholics as a motivation of Prohibition thus demonstrating how law is racism/bigotry (or cronyism, rent seeking, or barriers to entry) written down.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    What? I missed that part, I must have been getting a beer or something. I did enjoy how everyone thought it was someone else's behavior that needed controlling. I would have liked to seen firsthand the late 19th/early 20th century.

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people’s habits" - Mark Twain

If you want to see what alcohol prohibition was like, look at the war on drugs and squint.

Top Bottom