• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Was just PM'ing a seller in the classifieds about a scope that's available. It is a higher power than anything I've ever had before.

It got me thinking. It seems like there's a limited lifespan of scopes. I mean, the older I get, the less powerful they are. Are they filled with some sort of Magnification Particle that decays over time? There's a limited number of eyeball uses before they fade a little blurrier each time?

They must not make them like they used to. When I was younger, all the scopes were bright and crisp. The ones I see nowadays hardly even compare.

Any scope experts out there care to comment?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The crazy thing is, they go back and forth from weak to strong quickly.

For instance, things are sharp and crystal clear for my 17 year old son, yet just a few minutes later, the scope loses serious power by the time I look through it. 5 minutes later, it strengthen's up by the time he looks through it again.

Can any scope experts explain this?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Getting old sucks, doesn't it.
    smile.png

Nah - I feel basically the same as my 30s.

Except I'm a few pounds heavier, a few steps slower, a bit more easily winded, and don't heal up as quickly.

Other than that, exactly the same. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Scopes are like vision vampires. They detect your weakness, which generally increases with age, and suck your vision particles out through your eyeballs. Then, for the younger users, they act more as expected, to draw them in and get them jonesin' for the scope, only to repeat the process in later years when the users are hopelessly addicted and begin to weaken. I've figured them out, so I can keep mine in line, but I'm sure they're sitting in the safe conspiring to get me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    And what is it about these new iron sights?

You can't focus on both the front and back at the same time like I could with the old ones back in the day.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's part of their plan. Once your vision particles have been depleted, everything else gets worse and you become even more dependent on them, so they can have their way with you at their leisure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's part of their plan. Once your vision particles have been depleted, everything else gets worse and you become even more dependent on them, so they can have their way with you at their leisure.

Wait. Part of me is intrigued who "they" are. NFL cheerleaders? MMA fighters? The answer is important.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The scopes, man, it's the scopes themselves. They've taken over the minds of the manufacturers, and compelled them to install these vampires in the scopes!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh. To be honest. I'm not comfortable with scopes having their way with me. I mean. Something like a 1-4x20 might not be too bad. But, those big honking ones, with all the knobs. Well. No thank you. I mean. If that's what you're into, that's cool. It just doesn't rock my boat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is she putting a scope someplace for that man? What kind of scope is best for a cane-gun?

Where's my metamucil?

Top Bottom