Private business that advertise "NO GUNS".

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Yesterday I went to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese in Kokomo. The sign on the door had an image of a revolver with a slash and said something to the effect “Weapons are prohibited,violators will be considered as tresspassing.” Does that more specfic wording give anymore weight to law than a standard “ No weapons allowd” sign. My understanding has been that to be a trespasser you had to be asked to leave the premises and refusal to do so could find you in trouble for trespassing. I didn’t think that by carrying a firearm that a business could consider it trespassing. Your input would be appreciated . Thanks in advance.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Yesterday I went to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese in Kokomo. The sign on the door had an image of a revolver with a slash and said something to the effect “Weapons are prohibited,violators will be considered as tresspassing.” Does that more specfic wording give anymore weight to law than a standard “ No weapons allowd” sign. My understanding has been that to be a trespasser you had to be asked to leave the premises and refusal to do so could find you in trouble for trespassing. I didn’t think that by carrying a firearm that a business could consider it trespassing. Your input would be appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Every jurisdiction’s interpretation of the law is different. But generally speaking yes, they have to ask you to leave first.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a new tactic for these "no guns allowed" places. As I leave and sign the check, I write, "I'm a good guy with a gun & legally carried despite your sign. Do you think your sign would stop a criminal?"

This gives the establishment 3 things to ponder.
    1, someone that meant no harm was armed in here & nothing bad happened.
    2, our sign was ineffective in stopping that person from entering.
    3, what if it had been a criminal?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The trespass statute in Indiana doesn't have any wording in it about weapons so you cannot be considered as a trespasser just for being in possession of one.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

The trespass statute in Indiana doesn't have any wording in it about weapons so you cannot be considered as a trespasser just for being in possession of one.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it isn't that the sign has any more weight just because it mentions trespassing. But as in any other business in Indiana, I believe the rule is that they can ask you to leave if they object to the fact that you are carrying. If you refuse to leave after being requested to do so, then at that point, they could have you removed for trespassing.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it isn't that the sign has any more weight just because it mentions trespassing. But as in any other business in Indiana, I believe the rule is that they can ask you to leave if they object to the fact that you are carrying. If you refuse to leave after being requested to do so, then at that point, they could have you removed for trespassing.

Correct.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

The sign means nothing. Only the management asking you to leave, and you refusing, triggers the "TRESPASS" As I understand.

Top Bottom