• ...and so much more!
  • engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a good used 1911; ideally a SA Operator. However, I found a pre E-series SW1911 for a good price; I believe these have the firing pin safety, which was removed for the E-series. Any thoughts on this? The seller says he's never had any trouble with it; is the firing pin safety something that will cause issues over time? Or is it the kind of thing that either works well or it doesn't?

Thanks!

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I’ve heard good things, only thing the firing pin safety may do is increase trigger pull weight slightly. Shouldn’t cause issues with reliability. My understanding is it’s similar to what is in many modern designs, and it wouldn’t continue to be used if it wasn’t reliable.

diaclaimer: my info comes second hand, I don’t own a series 80 1911.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Before "someone" chims in; the Springer is a solid choice with a traditional design whereas the SW either takes some creative liberties with JMB's design or adopted progressive engineering changes depending upon your perspective.

The pre-E's are also solid. The E-series has an "improved" trigger set-up and a different firing pin which IMHO does improve its fire control characteristics. Some of the very early SW 1911's (including "Billboard" models - yes the billboard is ugly. yes i have one) are tremendous out of the box shooters. I have one of the first ones out the door at SW and it's been a favorite. The pre-E's are not inherently more prone to failure than E's or SA or Colt 70 vs 80 series but if I had my choice; I'd go with a E-series or the SA.

If price is King...you should be happy with a pre-E that's been properly cared for and used.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Thanks for your thoughtful replies! Cost isn't necessarily "king," but I'm looking to get a good value, if that makes sense. I had a really good deal on a pristine champion operator, but he decided he couldn't part with is last minute...guess I can't blame him, haha. One advantage of the SW is that the sights can be replaced without milling the slide, so I could easily add night sights. I'm not a 1911 purist; this would be my first, so the engineering liberties aren't a big deal, as long as they don't sacrifice reliability.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Ok, so here are some more questions.

Is there a compelling reason to move up into the $1000 range and look for something like a used STI? Is it significantly more accurate/reliable/more fun to shoot?

Also, I have found a 2001 Kimber Eclipse II Custom Shop for $850; I know newer kimbers have some quality issues; does anyone have an idea of how they were in 2001?

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Ok, thank you. I've seen a couple of sigs for sale, but I've seen mixed thoughts about them; assuming similar pricing, would you say SW or sig tacops?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    (doddg style...)

1) Yes. Move past $1000 and you can find features and finish quality improvements. $1500ish opens up some options! My experience with STI is second hand and limited. I would rate it as neutral.

2) accurate/reliable/more fun to shoot. Maybe/Maybe not...but if you enjoy quality something like a DW Valor will make you smile. ALOT! Modern manufacturing really creates a very reliable firearm in most price ranges, in spite of our stated personal bias.

3) Kimber, Uh....great looking guns and if you get a good one; you've got a great one. If you are new to 1911's, not sure I'd start with Kimber. My luck has not been good. I know others that wouldn't give up a Kimber for a Les Baer...well, that might be overstated...

EDIT: OK; let me clarify. I know ONE person that wouldn't give up his Kimber 1911....

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Before "someone" chims in; the Springer is a solid choice with a traditional design whereas the SW either takes some creative liberties with JMB's design or adopted progressive engineering changes depending upon your perspective.

The pre-E's are also solid. The E-series has an "improved" trigger set-up and a different firing pin which IMHO does improve its fire control characteristics. Some of the very early SW 1911's (including "Billboard" models - yes the billboard is ugly. yes i have one) are tremendous out of the box shooters. I have one of the first ones out the door at SW and it's been a favorite. The pre-E's are not inherently more prone to failure than E's or SA or Colt 70 vs 80 series but if I had my choice; I'd go with a E-series or the SA.

If price is King...you should be happy with a pre-E that's been properly cared for and used.

:p

Edit.....No Kimbers.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Thanks for all the advice! I found a Sig Tacops with 900 rounds of brass .45 for $900. It's not exactly what I was originally looking for aesthetically, but it's a good deal and it does have all the features I wanted (especially night sights, which the SW did not have), so I think I'm going to go for it. I think I will get a nice set of Altamont grips to improve the look.

Top Bottom