• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ok I was at the walmart and saw these great airsoft guns they had 1911, sig,beretta and a couple others. I bought the beretta for 15$ it came with a mag that holds 150 or so plastic BB's and a Target stand with a netted back (saves you BB"s) and targets.

ITs dead on balls accurate from across the house. You do have to cycle the side every shot. (not co2) but it packs a good punch. I find by setting the target on a stool i get it to chest level and by placing it in a doorway I can get a real Idea on a real situation.

I recomend the Beretta over the others its a few buck cheaper and its the only on with a 150rd mag. You just tip the gun down and pull a plastic piece out and let it go to refill for more shooting fun.

The wife made me buy her one too.....:ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I too bought a couple of cheapie "spring powered" airsoft 1911's several years ago as part of a Halloween costume.

I later used them as inert substitutes when a friend of mine, who was fresh from ILEA, wanted some help doing live scenarios of traffic stops. I would be the vehicle occupant, and I would draw (or not) the gun during the stop and he would then react. It taught us many valuable lessons.

The downsides of the spring-powered versions is that they don't feel like the real thing, and the action isn't realistic, as you have to manually cock the slide for each shot.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to something like this: KSC Glock 19 Review - Planet Airsoft

Its certainly more expensive, but the FoF applications are endless. It would fit all my current G19 holsters, and I could put in 16 "rounds" to match what I actually carry. It would be great for going over those 0-5ft. encounters.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I own quite a few spring powered and two co2 powered airsoft handguns. The co2 are very nice and very accurate. Spend the extra to get the co2. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Dunhams for about $60. The nice thing about the co2 is that the slide cycles which forces a more realistic follow up shot...

blhawk1077

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    Airsoft

I have 3 spring powered airsoft and they are fun to shoot when you cannot use the real things. I have begun to teach both of my children gun safety and control with these guns. They are great for younger kids who are not yet ready for metal bb or pellets. We have a Crosman R34 which is a M4 replica and a Smith and Wesson .45 and a S&W shotgun with a pistol grip. These guns do hurt to be shot with but not near has much damage has say a metal bb or pellet. FPS is anywhere between 250 and 350. Prices are cheap for airsoft starting at 20-30 dollars all the way up to nearly 1000 for you die hards. These guns, even the cheaper ones are almost exact replicas and can be very fun to own.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    We have 3 of the spring powered ones. They are fun, and they are actually useful for practicing basics.

I've got a Sig 226, Cathy has a Taurus 24/7, Sean has a little Taurus Mil Pro. All clear plastic.

They are fun.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We are purchasing several new electric AS handguns to utilize in upcoming FoF training. I would like to hear of anyone's suggestions on brand, etc.

Regards,

Jim

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We have used the CO2 cycle style many times as film props. You fill the magazine with CO2, much like filling a lighter with butane. We just dry fired them though. It gave you a real sound to edit a gun shot too and if you filled the barrel with a little baby powder, you got a realistic puff. You just had to add a streak of casing in post. :D

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We have used the CO2 cycle style many times as film props. You fill the magazine with CO2, much like filling a lighter with butane. We just dry fired them though. It gave you a real sound to edit a gun shot too and if you filled the barrel with a little baby powder, you got a realistic puff. You just had to add a streak of casing in post. :D

I have been told there are issues with the seals going bad in the CO2 guns. Have you experienced this? I am very intrigued with the possibilities of using your tips to make the "gunshot" sequences more realistic during training.

Regards,

Jim

Nathan

Marksman
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    i've got a sig semiauto. pro: motor driven blowback, con: only 15 shot mag, and a pain to reload skinny tall mag

then my assault rifle has a setting for safey, semi, and full auto got a laser sight and a tacticle light attachment. love it!

Nathan

Marksman
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    I have 3 spring powered airsoft and they are fun to shoot when you cannot use the real things. I have begun to teach both of my children gun safety and control with these guns. They are great for younger kids who are not yet ready for metal bb or pellets. We have a Crosman R34 which is a M4 replica and a Smith and Wesson .45 and a S&W shotgun with a pistol grip. These guns do hurt to be shot with but not near has much damage has say a metal bb or pellet. FPS is anywhere between 250 and 350. Prices are cheap for airsoft starting at 20-30 dollars all the way up to nearly 1000 for you die hards. These guns, even the cheaper ones are almost exact replicas and can be very fun to own.

ditto on the safety concern. my 4 year old daughter is going to learn early about firearm safety, and these plastic airsoft guns are perfect for the job.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have been told there are issues with the seals going bad in the CO2 guns. Have you experienced this? I am very intrigued with the possibilities of using your tips to make the "gunshot" sequences more realistic during training.

Regards,

Jim

I have had a beretta gas pistol for 6-7 years not blowback though, and have never had an issue with the seal. I also have a colt model M4 I bought years ago if your looking for one of those let me know.

mercop

Expert
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    At SHOT Seth and I (my partner in MCS) formed a partnership with Spartan Imports makers/importers of high end airsofts. We will be debuting them at our Combative Pistol Course in Miami next week. We will have G17 in Raven Concealment Holsters.

I brought airsoft to my agency in 2005 and it totally changed the way we trained. Hard to concentrate on the sights and trigger squeeze when someone is shooting at you. Good airsoft can take training to a whole new level.

Top Bottom