• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Clicky----> Police: WIU students arrested with cache of weapons - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

The problem I see here, besides the sensationalism is that they had loaded pistols in the car. I don't think anything else is really against the law unless they didn't have stamps for the silencer (if they were). I wonder if they actually had bullet proof vests or if they just had vests. Illinois, don't you just love it!

By JODI POSPESCHIL
    OF THE JOURNAL STAR
    Posted Dec 11, 2008 @ 09:26 PM
    MACOMB —

Two men were stopped for speeding early Thursday in a truck filled with loaded guns, ammunition and military-style paraphernalia, and a comparable amount of weapons was found at one of their homes, authorities said.

Bryce A. Standley, 25, of Macomb and Nicholas R. Holik, 20, of Mount Prospect were charged Thursday in McDonough County court with three counts each of aggravated unlawful use of weapons and unlawful use of weapons.

Standley and Holik, both students at Western Illinois University, were released from jail Thursday afternoon on $25,000 bond each.

Both men have Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification cards.

A sheriff's deputy stopped their pickup truck northwest of Macomb near McDonough County roads East 750th and North 1700th at about 2:40 a.m. Thursday.

Prosecutors said the truck was stopped in the roadway near a home but made a U-turn and drove away as the deputy approached. The pickup was then stopped for speeding 70 mph in a 55 mph zone.

A later search of the vehicle turned up two rifles and two loaded pistols, most or all with paraphernalia including silencers, optical sites and laser pointers attached. One of the pistols, a .22-caliber, was under the driver's seat, while the other was under the passenger's seat.

Also in the vehicle, police found two military gas masks, two sets of military night vision goggles, 22 AR-15 loaded magazines and nearly 250 ammunition shells. Both men were also wearing bulletproof vests.

Prosecutors said the men told police they had fired the weapons at targets before they were stopped and that they were coyote hunting.

"There is absolutely no evidence of anything sinister here," said Holik's defense attorney, Craig Pierce of Bushnell, in arguing for a lower bond.

Circuit Judge John Clerkin reduced the bond to $25,000 from the $50,000 requested by Melidis.

Standley's defense attorney, Karl Johnson, asked Clerkin if he could offer testimony from Standley's parents and a family friend, retired Third District Appellate Judge Kent Slater, all of whom attended Thursday's court appearance.

Instead, Johnson ended up reciting what he believed the witnesses would testify to, including that Standley has no criminal record and is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, a senior law enforcement major at WIU and he holds down a local job.

Prosecutors said police were granted permission to search Standley's home. There they found a weapon "cache" equal to or larger than the weaponry found in the truck.

Melidis said there is a "high probability" the charges could be amended based on the discovery of the additional weapons and the possibility one of the guns seized in the truck could be a machine gun.

Standley is scheduled to return to court Jan. 7. Holik's next court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The headline for that story should read "ILL NEWS Dramatically Overstates Story about Guns"

Still it is illegal for them to have loaded guns in the passenger compartment of their truck, that's sort of stupid of them to have violated that law.

On the other hand, 4 weapons, only 2 of which were loaded, does not make a "cache of weapons" in their truck!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Still it is illegal for them to have loaded guns in the passenger compartment of their truck, that's sort of stupid of them to have violated that law.

You just got done defending Plaxico Burress for the exact same thing. How is this any different?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You just got done defending Plaxico Burress for the exact same thing. How is this any different?

This is different because they are not claiming any need for self defense.

If they were carrying on their body, and doing it for self defense then I would argue the same way that I did for Burress. In all likelihood these guys were nothing more than careless; they claim they had been target shooting and coyote hunting. It would not have been much of a problem if they had tossed the guns in the back, but they stupidly stuffed them under the seat.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Great! Where to begin? This sets off the BS meter fierce except for the fact that one of the handguns might not have been secured, which under IL law is required IIRC.

They pull over a vet of Afghanistan, currently majoring in LEO studies, who was just out coyote hunting. Go figure! How much do you want to bet the "silencer" is a fake one hanging off of a P22? And the possible machine gun is gonna be an AR varmint gun?

Then there is the home stockpile. This is what we all dread - our guns on a table at a press conference:

magazineme.jpg

Guess the pictures weren't ready for press time.

So what can we learn here? Secure your guns during transport, maybe that would have helped. Avoid driving in a way that attracts LEO's when you are stocked up? Keep a deer on your hood so that they will think you are a hunter instead of a mass murder?

Or, just move out of IL and move to a more friendly state? Not that it would help necessarily....

Too bad for them!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Yup, and a "comparable amount of weapons" was found at one of the guys houses. Damn, if he only has 4 guns at home maybe we need to pass the hat around and buy him some more. Clearly he doesn't have enough!

:+1:
    Arsenal is one of those words that sounds like more than it is.
    After checking many definitions the one that really applies is: A collection of firearms.

The size of an arsenal will vary but the use of the word is correct. I'm sure that the media knows that the use of the word implies a massive collection to most. The word also ties a military tone to the story and makes it sound bad in general.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Funny that they use Arsenal and not Cache. I guess the former is more aggressive.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IT'S ILLINOIS!!! One gun is an arsenal. The collective Illinoisan's hair stands on end when you mention that you have a gun. I swear it is one of the most paranoid places to live. I used to live there.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people with guns in Illinois but the general non gun owning public seem to be a fearful lot. More so than elsewhere IMHO.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    IT'S ILLINOIS!!! One gun is an arsenal. The collective Illinoisan's hair stands on end when you mention that you have a gun. I swear it is one of the most paranoid places to live. I used to live there.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people with guns in Illinois but the general non gun owning public seem to be a fearful lot. More so than elsewhere IMHO.

I spent a lot of time in Champaign/Urbana. There, if you owned a gun you were in a gang or a LEO. very rarely would there be anything inbetween. That said... They are paranoid. No other place in the Midwest is Gang activity higher than Chicago and the surrounding areas. Period. St. Louis doesn't even compare. Close, but not close enough.

Personally, I would see this as a great case for the NRA to launch massive campaigns against the Brady Bunch. Just IMHO of course.

:patriot:

Top Bottom