• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I still have my fathers gun cabinet from when I was a child. Sits in the garage with a blanket over it. Sad you can't utilize a piece of furniture in your home due to concerns of the activities of criminals.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    A real safe costs upwards of $10k. My whole gun collection costs less than that. I lock them up in a POS safe so that idiots at my house don't get into it. If a real crook breaks into my house and wants my guns, he's going to be able to get into that safe just the same as he'd be able to get into a $2000 safe. Any of the typical "gun safes" are just sheet metal, and aren't real safes. They don't provide any REAL protection (other than fire ratings).

A real safe needs to be TL rated. And even that is only guaranteed to keep crooks out for a specified (rather short) period of time. My collection does not justify the cost.

If you want a fire rated safe, that's another topic, and I say go for it.

Basically, get a sheet steel safe (they're all pretty much the same and don't provide much, if any, REAL protection) to keep idiots out and get an insurance policy that covers your stuff. Get a safe with a fire rating if it makes you happy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To the individual posting about insurance....that is no excuse for negligent or careless behavior. Most responsible people realize it is a means of providing some level of financial protection in the case of a catastrophic loss. Gun owners share the same responsibility that every homeowner does...we should take reasonable care to secure items in our house that could pose a danger to others, including members of our own family. For many of us, a simple gun cabinet does the trick. Others keep them hidden in a dark corner of a closet. Others still find that an actual security safe provides the level of protection they want.

Too many people today depend on insurance to take care of relatively minor losses that they can and should just pay for out of pocket.

Scratch my car? I'll pay my $250 deductible and let insurance pay for the $400 is costs to fix it.

Got a cough? I'll pay my $20 co-pay so insurance can cover the $100 office visit and the recommendation of my Dr. to take some Nyquil and get some rest.

Get a gun stolen? I'll pay my $500 deductible to get insurance to cut me a check for $750 to replace the couple of guns that got stolen.

By contrast, insurance is a really valuable tool when you suffer a major loss. Car totaled in an accident that may or may not have been your fault? Pay your deducible and have insurance pay to fix your car. Blow out a knee while running to stay in shape? Pay your deductible and use insurance to help cover the cost of knee reconstruction surgery. Lose most of your belongings in a house fire? Pay your deductible and use your insurance to help replace your stuff.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    To the individual posting about insurance....that is no excuse for negligent or careless behavior. Most responsible people realize it is a means of providing some level of financial protection in the case of a catastrophic loss. Gun owners share the same responsibility that every homeowner does...we should take reasonable care to secure items in our house that could pose a danger to others, including members of our own family. For many of us, a simple gun cabinet does the trick. Others keep them hidden in a dark corner of a closet. Others still find that an actual security safe provides the level of protection they want.

You are saying three different things that:

1) I'm careless and negligent for not locking everything up. ".that is no excuse for negligent or careless behavior."
    If you are negligent or careless for not having or using a safe id be willing to bet almost all gun owners are.

2) Everything dangerous should be "secured". "we should take reasonable care to secure items in our house that could pose a danger to others,"

Pretty sure i've been asking why firearms get so much extra "protection" we people don't buy safes to store just as dangerous of items or items of greater value (in general). For example there is 40,000 chainsaw injurys a year yet they sit in our garage or shed. Falling TV's kill more kids under the age of 18 then firearms yet we don't insist people make sure its bolted or tethered down.

3) where you really confuse me you go back on the negligent or careless behavior talk and say people and say people are free to pick what they want. "For many of us, a simple gun cabinet does the trick. Others keep them hidden in a dark corner of a closet. Others still find that an actual security safe provides the level of protection they want."

I really don't care how they stored but what bugs me is when people get after others for doing nothing wrong and calling negligent/careless/reckless when someone breaks into you house/car/trailer/place of business and steals something because it wasn't locked up to their level of satisfaction. If people want to put spongebob bandaids on the firearms because it makes them feel safer more power to you but its certainly not required nor or you negligent/careless/reckless.

Just an fyi tho spongebob bandaid method so far 0% theft rate so far.

Anyways ever since i copy and pasted out of your quote the quick reply box went ape**** and i may have to edit to fix it. As i can't see what I'm typing unless i highlight over it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You are saying three different things that:

1) I'm careless and negligent for not locking everything up. ".that is no excuse for negligent or careless behavior."
    If you are negligent or careless for not having or using a safe id be willing to bet almost all gun owners are.

2) Everything dangerous should be "secured". "we should take reasonable care to secure items in our house that could pose a danger to others,"

Pretty sure i've been asking why firearms get so much extra "protection" we people don't buy safes to store just as dangerous of items or items of greater value (in general). For example there is 40,000 chainsaw injurys a year yet they sit in our garage or shed. Falling TV's kill more kids under the age of 18 then firearms yet we don't insist people make sure its bolted or tethered down.

3) where you really confuse me you go back on the negligent or careless behavior talk and say people and say people are free to pick what they want. "For many of us, a simple gun cabinet does the trick. Others keep them hidden in a dark corner of a closet. Others still find that an actual security safe provides the level of protection they want."

I really don't care how they stored but what bugs me is when people get after others for doing nothing wrong and calling negligent/careless/reckless when someone breaks into you house/car/trailer/place of business and steals something because it wasn't locked up to their level of satisfaction. If people want to put spongebob bandaids on the firearms because it makes them feel safer more power to you but its certainly not required nor or you negligent/careless/reckless.

Just an fyi tho spongebob bandaid method so far 0% theft rate so far.

Anyways ever since i copy and pasted out of your quote the quick reply box went ape**** and i may have to edit to fix it. As i can't see what I'm typing unless i highlight over it.

I think you are having a hard time interpreting what folks are posting. I didn't call you negligent or careless...I said relying on insurance to replace the value of a stolen item can be negligent or careless if a person doesn't do their part to keep those insured valuables safe. Lots of people put similar care into storing other dangerous items in the house, not just their guns. We have our cleaning supplies locked to where out kids can't get to them, and my chemicals in the garage are also locked up. Several of my tools are also locked away to where our kids (or others) can't get into them and cause problem. Matches are hidden in a place where the kids can't get to them. I could go on and on with a number of other "reasonable" actions that many people take for other every day items.

The point that you appear to try to be making is that all of us should just leave guns laying all over the house wherever we decide to set them down, because they are less dangerous and no more valuable than other items in our house that could be easily replaced by insurance in the event of theft, and as such securing them in a safe is a waste of time and money. Am I missing something?

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I think you are having a hard time interpreting what folks are posting. I didn't call you negligent or careless...I said relying on insurance to replace the value of a stolen item can be negligent or careless if a person doesn't do their part to keep those insured valuables safe. Lots of people put similar care into storing other dangerous items in the house, not just their guns. We have our cleaning supplies locked to where out kids can't get to them, and my chemicals in the garage are also locked up. Several of my tools are also locked away to where our kids (or others) can't get into them and cause problem. Matches are hidden in a place where the kids can't get to them. I could go on and on with a number of other "reasonable" actions that many people take for other every day items.

I'm saying you put the same care and security in them as things of equal value/danger. Treating them like they are some mythical item requiring extra care is silly.

IThe point that you appear to try to be making is that all of us should just leave guns laying all over the house wherever we decide to set them down, because they are less dangerous and no more valuable than other items in our house that could be easily replaced by insurance in the event of theft, and as such securing them in a safe is a waste of time and money. Am I missing something?

If you want to protect your investment and not be out thousands of dollars in the event of a theft insurance takes care of a problem that a safe only hopes to prevent and for the cost of a safe you could buy a lifetime supply of insurance. A real safe costs a lot a cheap one offers no protection. The cost to benefits don't even compare to the few dollars a rider on your homeowners costs. How you store them is completely up to the individual. But you certainly aren't negligible/careless/reckless or whatever if you do not store all your firearms in a safe.

Does it make sense per dollar spent insurance will protect you more then a safe.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Insurance is a service that I purchase. If I have a claim that makes monetary sense (the amount of money I'd receive outweighs the amount of insurance spike), I'm damn sure going to use it. Insurance isn't a handout, it's a purchased service for the purchaser to use when they need.

I see what you are saying and agree that most here don't talk much about insurance protection. I think its mostly due to letting someone else be accountable for their belongings.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    All of this.

A real safe that will actually keep a burglar out (still for a short rated amount of time) is MUCH more expensive that most people can afford (think $10k plus), or should buy relative to the value of the stuff they'd be putting in the safe. The sheet metal $2k safes don't do anything but keep kids, drunk friends, and fire at bay.

I'm saying you put the same care and security in them as things of equal value/danger. Treating them like they are some mythical item requiring extra care is silly.

If you want to protect your investment and not be out thousands of dollars in the event of a theft insurance takes care of a problem that a safe only hopes to prevent and for the cost of a safe you could buy a lifetime supply of insurance. A real safe costs a lot a cheap one offers no protection. The cost to benefits don't even compare to the few dollars a rider on your homeowners costs. How you store them is completely up to the individual. But you certainly aren't negligible/careless/reckless or whatever if you do not store all your firearms in a safe.

Does it make sense per dollar spent insurance will protect you more then a safe.

Last edited:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    A real safe costs upwards of $10k. My whole gun collection costs less than that. I lock them up in a POS safe so that idiots at my house don't get into it. If a real crook breaks into my house and wants my guns, he's going to be able to get into that safe just the same as he'd be able to get into a $2000 safe. Any of the typical "gun safes" are just sheet metal, and aren't real safes. They don't provide any REAL protection (other than fire ratings).

A real safe needs to be TL rated. And even that is only guaranteed to keep crooks out for a specified (rather short) period of time. My collection does not justify the cost.

If you want a fire rated safe, that's another topic, and I say go for it.

Basically, get a sheet steel safe (they're all pretty much the same and don't provide much, if any, REAL protection) to keep idiots out and get an insurance policy that covers your stuff. Get a safe with a fire rating if it makes you happy.

I've been called to open many safes that were victims of failed burglary attempts. While 'you get what you pay for' is a true statement, you can purchase a decent amount of protection for right around $1000. It certainly beats the alternative of having no protection at all. A safe is no different than a door lock on your perimeter doors. It's about slowing people down and making them go elsewhere to prey upon an easier target. A gun safe should be a piece of your overall security prevention measures. Quality door locks, monitored intrusion detection, quality safes (not just for guns, but all valuable assets), etc can make the difference between getting cleaned out or passed up for an easier target.

If I were looking for a decent gun safe in the $1000 to $1250 ball park, I'd start with Liberty Safe. Thicker exterior construction makes pry attacks more difficult and their hardplate is among the hardest I've drilled of commerically available safes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom