• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We have a metal pole barn that is developing some leaks when it rains. The roof is sheetmetal nailed to the rafters. What are viable options to rainproof my roof? I've thought about decking it and putting standard shingles on it but that would be a major renovation to support the additional weight. Is there any type of rubberized paint or some type of sealant I can use to seal the nails and seams between roof panels?:dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We have a metal pole barn that is developing some leaks when it rains. The roof is sheetmetal nailed to the rafters. What are viable options to rainproof my roof? I've thought about decking it and putting standard shingles on it but that would be a major renovation to support the additional weight. Is there any type of rubberized paint or some type of sealant I can use to seal the nails and seams between roof panels?:dunno:

i saw a spray paint material on tv that you can put a screen door in the bottom of a boat and this stuff will seal the screen. atleast thats how they advertise it:dunno:

im guessing you could put a new metal roof on cheaper than buying enough of that stuff to do the job, but the comercial looks impressive

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    First off, are there any nail protruding above the roof, as In coming loose? I just went thru this summer at work, all though this was screws instead. Had to check every $#$$@ screw on a 50 X 80 roof. We bought some sealant tape, and it seems to be working. PM if you want the name of the product that we used. I'll also tell you how we applied it.

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    If its the corrugated, galvanized stuff it may be time to replace it. It shouldn't leak unless its compromised in some way. Even with a few loose nails or screws there should be minimal leakage.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    YES, there's a pitch material just for metal roofs. It's like a rubberized to brush on. I used the silver colored pitch to match my roof.
    I had a tornado come close a couple of years ago and loosened the roof. The roof had to be secured again but the pitch works like a champ. Easy to brush on in warm weather (not sure about cold) and as of this fall I saw no shrinkage in the pitch seal.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    When we make roof penetrations or install vents in walls we use a polyurethane caulk called NP1. Sticks to anything and seals up great. Even comes in colors. We purchase it through a place on the northwest side of indy called Pro Fastening Systems. Runs us about $4 a tube. So its cheaper than silicone and works 1000% better.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    What kind of fasteners were used when it was put on?
    The ones I see people using now have little gaskets on each screw to keep them from leaking. I guess it would be a horriffic PITA to replace all the fasteners on your roof.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The roof is nailed on, which I thought was odd, each nail has a gasket and the ones I checked hadn't pulled up any. The majority of my leaks are related to the translucent panels that were installed to provide interior light during the day. I hate to do it but they will be going away soon, replaced by solid panels. The barn metal is all painted steel and appears to be in good shape. I've had several good suggestions on this and will be trying some of them out and will share my experience in the process.

We really want to stop/prevent all leaks as we want to put a drop ceiling in the barn for heating purposes. It serves multiple duty as storage/workshop/man-cave/hiding place/puppy retreat etc. We're in the process of adding insulation to the walls and installed a propane heater last fall. I've finally organized enough I can actually do some projects out there and had forgotten how nice it was to have enough room to be able to play with my toys! (Racecar, boat, convertible, woodworking tools, etc)

Top Bottom