• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Has anyone done the math on buying a kit versus doing your own materials list and found out the cost difference?

2nd question is what is the best way for installing the footers for the poles? The permit section of the local jurisdiction show several ways to achieve a proper footer. What is the best way in your opinion?

Thanks

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    No idea on the cost comparison, I had mine built 10 years ago as I didn't have equipment to erect the poles or rafters.

Don't know if it is the "best" way, but FBI buildings dropped a concrete cookie down the hole for the pole to sit on. The poles were made up of laminated 2x6 boards, they were treated below ground, and had a splice in each board, with each splice 2 feet away from the others. At the bottom end of the treated assembly they put 2x4 cross boards to give an anchor so the posts couldn't be pulled out of the ground once the holes were backfilled.

Let me know if that isn't clear and I can look back in my archives to hunt for photos of it being built.

--Rick

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    When my father had his built Morton did a winter special price, and it worked out to about $2500 over cost of material, but that included better metal trim pieces, and expanded metal covering interior soffit vents. I thought it was well worth it.

This shows your basic options.
    The longest lasting would be the perma column, followed by the wet-set brackets. They also allow replacement of post/laminated column if needed. Code on depth would be determined locally.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thanks guys. The wet set brackets look good but I think I have more confidence in my ability with good ole strong and posts to build a straight wall. I wouldn’t want to mess up a bracket and have it off after the pour.
    I am wondering if treated in concrete is in need of being wrapped with a moisture material. Lots of views on this topic and lots of reading to sort through.

Top Bottom