• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It kind of depends on what your looking for. I have a LCP, a TCP and a P238. I like them all. I had a Kel tech but couldn't get it to feed a mag without some kind of jamming issue. All were surprisingly accurate and the first three extremely reliable. Some believe a .380 isn't much good for defense. I think they will do in a pinch and they are so nice to carry due to there small size. If you are wanting to shoot a lot the Sig is the most pleasant. Their main purpose is something to carry without the bulk. If for some reason you think you will need more power, go bigger. If you want a range shooter find something else. They do have a purpose though. Often times a person might not carry due to the bulk, but with these tiny pistols, problem solved. Good luck.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=.380+Pocket+Pistols&oq=.380+Pocket+Pistols&gs_l=hp.3..0l3.1071.4552.0.4665.19.13.0.6.6.0.352.1577.6j4j1j1.12.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4.psy-ab.p6wocAM51_0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.aWc&fp=14e0e787545be73c&biw=1920&bih=960

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp29PVHPYlg

Popular models: Smith Bodyguard, Keltec P3AT, Diamondback DB380, Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, NAA Guardian 380, Sig P238, IO Hellcat...I personally carry a Colt Pocketlite.

Edit:

If I were buying a pocket .380 (which I will be), I would want to minimize cost and size, while maximizing reliability and durability (I am comfortable shooting pocket guns, so performance isn't so much a factor for me.) In my opinion, the Ruger LCP and Keltec P3AT fit that bill. Diamondback, IO, and Taurus have questionable reliability (IMO). Sig and Kahr are too expensive (IMO). Smith and NAA are slightly larger and more expensive (well built, but not what I'm looking for) I already own a Pocketlite.

So, long story short, I'd go with (will be buying) a Ruger LCP or Keltec P3AT when prices are reasonable again.

Last edited:

sben763

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    I have a Bodyguard and a LCP. While at the range this has happened twice with each gun. The primer didn't go off. With the LCP you have to cycle the gun but with the Bodygaurd you can just pull the trigger and each time the gun went off on the second pull. This has always been with cheap plinking rounds but a time or 2 I have left the range withe them in the gun. For this reason I don't carry the LCP. I looked at a Kal-Tec 9mm yesterday and it is just like the Bodyguard as it will work the hammer with each trigger pull

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    I bought 2 LCP's for family members. We had a ball shooting them. I was surprised how powerful the 380 round was. The light polymer LCP does jump around a little. We had no malfunctions of any kind.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    +1 to the Kel Tec P3AT. I have zero experience with the others, but no issues whatsoever with the KelTec. It has been a great pistol for me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think looking in the size range of the P3AT/LCP is a good place to start.

If you get much bigger (ex. Bersa Thunder 380), not only are you getting to the edge of the pocket gun envelope, but there's no reason at that point not to go with a small 9mm.

Much of this depends on the size of your pockets. So, "pocket pistol," is a concept that's fuzzy around the edges.

Here's a handy chart - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22...kLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Last edited:

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think looking in the size range of the P3AT/LCP is a good place to start.

If you get much bigger (ex. Bersa Thunder 380), not only are you getting to the edge of the pocket gun envelope, but there's no reason at that point not to go with a small 9mm.

Much of this depends on the size of your pockets. So, "pocket pistol," is a concept that's fuzzy around the edges.

Here's a handy chart - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22...kLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

This is very sound advice and the chart is extremely helpful. I concur with all of the quoted above.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Popular models: Smith Bodyguard, Keltec P3AT, Diamondback DB380, Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, NAA Guardian 380, Sig P238, IO Hellcat...I personally carry a Colt Pocketlite.

Best choice. I ditched the LCP as soon as I saw the Mustang.
    IMG_0551_zpsff9cf43c.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    How much are those colt pocket lights going for? And who carries them? I haven't seen any, and the ones that are listed as out of stock are like $650, which seems a bit excessive for a pocket gun that's just going to get banged up. Especially when the sig p238 is practically the same gun (reliability and functionally) and can be had for around $500 brand new.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How much are those colt pocket lights going for? And who carries them? I haven't seen any, and the ones that are listed as out of stock are like $650, which seems a bit excessive for a pocket gun that's just going to get banged up. Especially when the sig p238 is practically the same gun (reliability and functionally) and can be had for around $500 brand new.

I carry my father's Pocketlite, which is the older version (they are being re manufactured now). I do not think there is a big difference between old and new. I haven't seen them around either. It is not unusual for Colt to have higher prices :) However, they hold up very well if you take care of them.

They are beautiful guns and made very well. They are very easy to shoot...and shoot fast. That is the biggest advantage with a Mustang or Sig238 vs. the Keltecs and Rugers. The single action trigger is smooth and I enjoy carrying cocked n locked. I am confident that I can make fast follow up shots accurately.

With that being said, Pocketlites are slightly larger and noticeably heavier than the polymer frame pistols. Additionally, I wouldn't recommend a single action pistol over something striker fired/DA for somebody that is first starting to shoot/carry. The simpler the better and forgetting to take the safety off could get you killed.

Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions or would like pictures. Best of luck.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have carried my lcp every day for two or three years. I really do like it. I have six or seven hundred rounds through it. It has been a reliable gun for me.

The one thing I do not care for is that if you do not hold it right, you might hit the mag release and drop the mag accidentally while shooting. It also does not have much for sights, but it is a pocket pistol so the low sights help it be snag free.

I bought a pf9 to replace it, but didn't feel like the pf9 was that much more of a gun so sold it and never stopped carrying the LCP.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you are wondering how all these pistols mentioned in this thread stack up in size with each other, try the "mouseguns" link. Look for the "Pocket Gun Chart" on the left side of the page...
    :draw: <-- quick drawing 2 pocket pistols!
    Great size info

valmoth

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had exactly zero problems with over 200 rounds out of my Bodyguard. Long trigger pull, but once you get used to it, it works like a champ.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest either the Ruger or the Kel-Tec, depending on your wallet and tastes. The Kel-Tec is less expensive and is a little rougher...the Ruger is more expensive, but has better fit-and-finish. Both have been proven to be very reliable, (always test your carry ammo to be certain that your particular gun "likes" what you are feeding it). Carry on!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If you are wondering how all these pistols mentioned in this thread stack up in size with each other, try the "mouseguns" link. Look for the "Pocket Gun Chart" on the left side of the page...
    :draw: <-- quick drawing 2 pocket pistols!
    Great size info
    Great sight. Only thing is, if you weren't sure which one to pick before, now you're really confused.:dunno: That's a lot of choices.

Top Bottom