• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beebs317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Wow, imagine being a gun store owner right now. Working harder than ever before, yet not knowing if you'll be able to do business in six months. Try to predict the wholesale price of your products and make enough today to stock the shelves tomorrow. Meanwhile, answer the two phone lines constantly.
    Please do not confuse a savvy business man, with "someone who's having a bad day"
    Mr. & Mrs. Cheek and their staff work hard and do not stop working hard, for the business and you, the customer.
    I'm not sure but I don't think you can actually buy a gun over the phone. If you what to know what PPS has in stock, call and ask, or come in, and be treated very well. IMHO:twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I owe PSS a shopping trip. I called 'em last night in pursuit of magazines for my Star PD. I knew it was unlikely, but one never knows. He didn't have any, but told me who makes good aftermarket mags (not Promag!)

Sure enough, a look at their website, and there's my mags. I thought it was awfully nice of them to answer my questions on the phone like that, and to put me onto a good supplier for me.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I step up on my soapbox.

I have not gotten involved with this thread but have followed it closely as PSS is my primary shopping spot.

I have read, with interest, the couple of dissatisfied posts and feel compeled to reply. I shop there frequently and over the years have purchased several guns from Bob - the operant phrase here is "I shop there frequently."

The time of day that you call and the number of shopper/buyers in the store sort of sets the tone for the phone response you get. If the crowd is small, Bob or the others will answer any and all questions that you have to ask and will spend, what I consider to be, more than sufficient time with you. I know, I have listened to one side of a number of conversations. On the other hand, if the shop is crowded the conversation will be a bit more brief. Can you really blame them? They have buyers standing waiting to be serviced and someone calls from "Bumf#*k", Indiana, wanting to chat about this gun or that gun, stock available and prices. Salesmen (and I was one in another life) have a statistic called a "sales ratio." It goes without saying that a sale is the life blood of a business. A "sales ratio" is the measurement of the number of sales presentations made to the number of sales made. Bob may not call it that but I suspect that he knows that the "sales ratios" of telephone presentations to live presentations are miles apart. Since he is in the business of making money, which sales ratio is more important to him?

Ever heard the old expression, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? A lot of the inventory that Bob and other shops carry has a shelf life of minutes or hours. Bob may get in 3 highly desirable guns in a shipment and all or some may already be promised with a deposit held. Those not promised turn over in those minutes or hours they sit on the shelf. Again, remember, he is in the business to make a living. If he can turn over inventory quickly, he can afford to refresh that inventory more quickly. I, and most, I suspect, can understand his reluctance to delay a sale for any reason.

I understand the frustration expressed by the couple of adverse posts included in this thread. I have felt the same frustration in the past in other situations. My point here is to ask that you look and the issue from the other side of the coin. A sale to PSS is their livlihood. A purchase to you is a convenience.

Now, I step down from my soapbox.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    A lot of the inventory that Bob and other shops carry has a shelf life of minutes or hours.
    Amen, I went in there one day to buy a Glock. While I was standing there, a shipment came in with a Thompson pistol in it. My son and I had been talking about Thompson's the day before, and I knew he wanted one. One of the guys behind the counter said, "Hey, a Thompson pistol."

Before I could open my mouth to say I wanted it, someone else bought it.

Oh well.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Bought a FNP-40 Monday. Bob again had the nerve to be nice to me and sell me a firearm. Had to leave work to see what PSS had in stock. Well the FN was put into my hand and it wouldn't leave. Bob made me buy it:spend: what is funny, shop was filled with about 20 people and PSS was selling most of them firearms and was able to help the others.

God bless America right now.:patriot:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I'm very upset with PSS. I went in last Wed to check prices on XD45s and saw a Bushmaster AR-15. It wasn't priced. When I asked Bob about it he told me he had just got it in, used, like new. For me, $799.

Well the nerve of him offering me a deal when I was really just looking. He said it would be sold today and no he wouldn't do a layaway or trade, but he would hold it for me until the next day if I needed. I offered to put money down to hold it and he said don't worry about it. I picked it up the next morning.

Imagine offering me a deal too good to pass up. Then offering to hold it for me until the next day on an extremely hot item. The nerve of Bob. I don't think I will go back again. Until Monday. Today is Saturday.

gfry12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Plainfield
    another +1 for me added a g19 to the collection today. (although I was really in there to try to get one of the colt ar's he had yesterday, they were gone by the time I got there.)

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Damn Bob sold me a XDM-9 today. I had one in the two tone and saw the all black one and had to get it today.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Every gun I have ever purchased new I have bought from Bob except my LCP which I got from AAC in Mooresville. I have yet to find a place that has better prices on guns than Bob.

Top Bottom