• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    Anybody have good or bad stories with the Walther PK 380. I held one the other day and it felt like it was engineered just for my hand! Curious to hear what people have to say about it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I did a review on one a few years ago. They are OK so far as .380 pistols go. I know several people that have them and like them. The only real complaint I have is the safety and magazines are hard to find. Reliability is what you would expect from a .380.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    shot 1 when we were looking for a edc for my sister, I love my P22 very similar set up. Sister went with a shield 9 though. Walther PPQ compact in 9 is also similar set up.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It is a wonderful feeling handgun, and the specimen that my wife had was pretty accurate, and very reliable. The down size, it is a 380, and for its size, not even a higher capacity handgun. For its size, either a bit higher capacity, or a more potent caliber, and it would be a winner, but what it is, a marginal self defense caliber in a pistol the size of my officers model 1911 (without any more capacity), there are other handguns out there that deliver more for the package that the PK380 offers.

As a beginner SD handgun, or someone who might be recoil shy, or not poses the hand strength to opperate a heavier caliber, its the bee's knees, but for the majority, its just a bigger pistol in a smaller caliber that could be replaced easily with more powerful, and more compact hardware for less money.

gncc600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    They are a bit big for a 380... But that being said if it fits you and your alright with the size I would go for it. Walther puts out a good product. Every company puts out lemons once in a while so I wouldnt worry.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Had one for awhile and really liked it. No recoil to speak of. Only thing I didn't like was the need for a tool to break it down. The tool was included with the handgun.

Only reason I sold it was that it was the only .380 I owned and wanted to consolidate calibers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The PK380 should not be compared to the P99 or PPQ. The only similarity are cosmetic. The P99 is a fully modern duty weapon. The PK380 is basically a slightly larger P22 designed around the .380 cartridge. It does use a locked breech as opposed to a lot of .380s which are blow back designs. The PK380 is manufactured by Umarex. It is a nice plinker that is also capable of firing a marginal yet capable defensive round. My wife likes her PK380 because it is easy to pull the slide back and has very little recoil. Mrs. VERT has arthritis which makes it difficult for her to use the double action trigger of a revolver or manipulate the slide on larger guns. She has recently graduated to a S&W M&P Pro. Interestingly enough she can not pull the slide back on a Glock, XD or Ruger SR9, however she can use the M&P. The M&P holds twice the cartridges of the PK380.

OP if you are looking for a more capable gun in the $400 price range may I suggest the Ruger SR9c. It is similar in size to the PK380 and fires the more capable 9mm cartridge. I do often use the PK380 when introducing new shooters to centerfire pistols. It is easy to pull the slide and has low recoil (has that been mentioned?). So if a person has a physical disability which requires these attributes then it is a good choice.

I always find it interesting when people mention that the PK380 is large for a .380. Remember the .380 was originally chambered in larger guns. Remember the PPK or Berretta 84? The cartridge really needs a 3.5" barrel to reach the published velocities for the cartridge. Only because of the little pocket .380s have we reconsidered what is expected so far as size of the firearm is concerned.

Top Bottom