• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Looking at the logs for the wells around me (thanks HuntinFool) I realize i can put a shallow water pitcher pump on top of my well casing once its dug. It will need to have an offset 5" cap to mount to, or mount to the supplied cap. I would prefer to use pex as the drop line. I should have a have a static water level of less than 20 feet.

However i dont like the looks of the little dinky ones. I would like to find a new manufacture pump thats the taller highth of over 40 inch's. I would like to buy new and not old, so replacement leather gaskets will be available. Freezeproof, and double acting are both major plus's.

Does anybody have any reccomendations?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Rand Large Shallow Well Pump Hand Operated Garden Fountain Farm Pitcher Water | eBay

Bought this today. I know its a gamble since the well is not dug yet, but all the well logs and my gut feeling about the area tells me I will have a water table between 10 and 15 feet. I may have to try and modify it by either altering the cover, or adding a packing nut somehow to the top of it to seal the hole at the top to keep debris from birds or bucks from getting in there and possibly contaminating the well. but this was the best price on a full size pump I could find. the spout is changeable as well to one that has an actual shutoff valve to further seal things out.

I plan on pouring a 36x36 square "pier" around the well casing in a manner that will allow me to lift it off with the tractor if I ever should need to. and will have some bolts coming up out of that to secure it. This will hopefully amount to what looks like a "professional" installation and make it look like the pump belongs as a part of the property and not a well casing just sticking up out of the ground for me to hate everytime I have to mow and trim around it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Looks like you made a good choice. I got one of the shorter ones, since I plan to mount it on a wooden stand in my breezeway. I think the length of stroke and the displacement is about the same either way, but the cast iron pedestal is attractive and durable for outdoor mounting.

Your concrete pad around it will also give people (kids) a place to stand out of the mud, if they pump a lot of water and soak the area.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    That is not freeze proof. A freeze proof pump has a sucker rod going from the handle down in the well where the pump is. A pitcher pump has water right up at the handle.

sorry

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It may not meet the modern standards of freeze proof, but it will still be able to be made to work no matter how cold it is outside, so somewhat freezeproof. It arrived today with a cracked lid so we will see how this shakes out. If they wont replace just the one part I will probably find someone to braze it. that's more likely to be cheaper than return shipping.

ibbob

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Marshall Co.
    The well casing has to end above grade. You can't pour concrete to the top and set that pump on it. Look at simplepump or bisonpump. You'd be better off running a generator for backup.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I'd be interested to see how your pump works out, I have a really old one out in my pasture that looks about the same, but the nozzle is busted off, and the handle is missing; I'd love to get the well up and going again.

Top Bottom