• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought some ammo last night, and when I got home I opened up my safe to put the ammo in there. Sitting in the corner of the safe, I saw it. My AR15 was just glaring at me. I honestly feel that, soon, it's going to jump out and shoot me or someone else.

I think maybe I should sell it before that happens, and buy a mountain bike.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No purple on my prev post.
    We use various animal in distress calls when hunting coyotes.
    I find it no stretch to imagine the possibility of a small child making sounds that could elicit a predatory response from another type of canid.

If you want to understand how close most of our beloved pets are to reverting right back to being what they really are....basic instinctual animals just observe pack dogs.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I was going to leave the Journalist's guide to Pit bull identification, but I was beaten to it.

I deal with very similar issues with my Rott, who was a rescue dog, and is a huge teddy bear and about as gentle as you could possibly hope for, but when he barks he looks as intimidating as anything, and at 110 pounds is not a small fella.

I have huge issues with those who have no clue about animals in general and dogs in particular chiming in with their gross sweeping generalities.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When my Rottweiler was still a puppy, we took him thru obedience training. In the class with us were 2 pit bulls. They were trained therapy dogs for the elderly and sick. They were the sweetest dogs I have ever met.

Not all pit bulls are bad.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Top 10 Dog Breeds that Bite the Most - List Crown

I have had dogs all my life ,and I am very intent on getting a good one when I go for a new one . I train it hard for 6 months , if it still don,t submit properly to it,s place in are pack , then it,s gone . Rules I have learned , always get a female ,they are more submissive by nature . Females will not wonder off nearly as much as male dogs . Do not buy a full bread dog , most over over breed and will have health issues , I have had great luck with 2 breed mix,s. Try to get a dog that will end up at the 50 to 70 pound range , there not so small to have a Napoleon complex , nipping and barking it,s a$$ off, But big enough to still protect you. My two best dogs were , German Shepard - Belgium Shepard mix female. A Black Lab - Border Collie mix female. Worst 2- Rottweiler - Doberman mix female ,all it wanted to do is attack and bite, I sold it to a junk yard in Gary . Second - Collie - German Shepherd mix , would not come when called ,and would run away in a hart beat. All were trained the same , and for 6 months , and I am good at it . Dogs were breed for jobs ,some are by nature more aggressive then others.

Wow, I've always heard the opposite! Thanks for your input! One of these days I plan on getting a German Shepard and through all the reading I've done it says to get a pure bred male.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Jon

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No dog can be controlled 100%...................unless it's dead.

The bigger the dog, the smaller the prey.............the more possible damage and risk of death to the latter.

Even little dogs tear the hell out of kids.

It's a dog...............there's always a chance of something bad happening.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want to understand how close most of our beloved pets are to reverting right back to being what they really are....basic instinctual animals just observe pack dogs.

I know full well what Fido is capable of and from where he came.

BTW, 30 plus yrs ago stray domestics killed and fed upon a small kid near my hometown.

Personally, I think those who think they can control their animals to be friggin' insane, comparable to an anti gunner in delusional self centered pseudo logic.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wow, I've always heard the opposite! Thanks for your input! One of these days I plan on getting a German Shepard and through all the reading I've done it says to get a pure bred male.
    Jon

A good mutt is tough to beat. My lab/bull mastiff is keeper. Retrieves and swims like a lab, will chew on anybody who tries to hurt my wife or daughter. The dog loves my daughter's boyfriend, freakin traitor:rolleyes:, but the boy learned fast that he loves my daughter more.;) All it takes is a change in her tone of voice that sounds anything like distress and the dog comes runnin.

Knocking on wood, but so far none of the health problems that my previous purebred labs have had.

If you must have a purebred, spend the money and buy from the best breeder you can find.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I know everybody says it's not the breed but it seems every time there is a story like this it is a pit bull. I know there are dog attacks by other breeds so no need in posting a bunch of links but seems like it happens often with pits and the result normally seems much more serious than just a bite.
    Is it really a pit bull, or is it media agenda? the linked article says "dog" four times before using "pitbull". I see no pictures of the dog in question.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Personally, I think those who think they can control their animals to be friggin' insane

Go watch some of the French ring competition videos on YouTube and tell me those people can't control their animals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was going to leave the Journalist's guide to Pit bull identification, but I was beaten to it.

I deal with very similar issues with my Rott, who was a rescue dog, and is a huge teddy bear and about as gentle as you could possibly hope for, but when he barks he looks as intimidating as anything, and at 110 pounds is not a small fella.

I have huge issues with those who have no clue about animals in general and dogs in particular chiming in with their gross sweeping generalities.

Guy next door breeds Rots. These are huge animals and for the most part docile around kids and loving of their owners and family. They are vocal when something goes bump in the night. I am very pleased they are there.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Guy next door breeds Rots. These are huge animals and for the most part docile around kids and loving of their owners and family. They are vocal when something goes bump in the night. I am very pleased they are there.

I almost adopted a rott/shepard mix. Sweetest guy ever, about 80 lbs. The reason I couldn't keep the big doofus is that he wagged his tail so hard he kept knocking my elderly mom off her feet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know full well what Fido is capable of and from where he came.

BTW, 30 plus yrs ago stray domestics killed and fed upon a small kid near my hometown.

Personally, I think those who think they can control their animals to be friggin' insane, comparable to an anti gunner in delusional self centered pseudo logic.

Domestics harbor no fear of man when they are in the wild. I have seen their handy work on stock animals. Growing up with farm folk in the family we used to hunt them. A stray comes on the farm and it got buried or fed to the hogs. Simple.
    Once a stray packs up and joins the pack matrix they are straight up Dogs.

My point is that any "Animal" we domesticate is just an animal. They harbor all the inherent tendency's they are born with and can/will revert if triggered properly.
    Hell, humans are the same in many ways. Look at some of the insane crap we do as a species.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Or at the least, maybe a ratio of ownership in that area. Maybe just more people own them than other types...? *shrug*

My area is full of dogs all breeds sizes and types. So many Pitts around here and not all are bad dogs. Just the ones that get loose and cause issues.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My area is full of dogs all breeds sizes and types. So many Pitts around here and not all are bad dogs. Just the ones that get loose and cause issues.

Responsible pit owners dislike the bad owners as much as the rest of you do. They are bad for us, just like the irresponsible gun owners that create problems for us.

Top Bottom