• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm looking for a good pistol shooting rest so I can more accurately test my handloads.
    I'd love a Ransom Rest but that is way beyond what I want to spend for one.
    I've mostly shot from sandbags or shooting bags. I just think if I can get something that supports the pistol/revolver frame/barrel It will be a more accurate way to test my handloads.
    What are your recommendations INGO?

I was looking at this Caldwell it's seems to be adjustable for different handguns.
    Anyone use one? Are they any good?
    Open to better ideas even something homemade. I just want something that will work well, it doesn't have to be perfect just steady up my shots more.

1676536074815.png

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Here's a Lohman Sight-Vise. Works for me for pistols other than ones I have inserts for the ransom rest. You can tell by the dust it hasn't been used much recently. That Caldwell rest looks like it might work fine.

Attachments

• LohmanSightVise.jpg
      LohmanSightVise.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 13

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've used that Hyskore and it's very effective for sighting red dots. I have one similar to the Caldwell rest and it works well. I would say both are a bit better than sandbags just for ease of use and transport.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The sand bag or range bag has been my go-to. The results have not been quite as good as I think I could do with a proper rest when dialing in a red dot or new set of sights

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The Hyskore looks appealing to me at this point. Call it a poor mans Ransom Rest.
    I just need to test several new loads possibly a few older ones that I shot off of bags. I can see how nice this rest would work for shooting in handgun optics as well .

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a Ransom.
    If one is serious, that is THE rig to have IMHO.
    Eyes aint as good as they used to be.....so can't really worry about match winning accuracy LOL

Still shoot good enough to determine what works decent.
    My old suede bag finally gave up the ghost after 30 plus yrs (stitching fell apart).
    Got some new style, works, but doesn't seem as solid (old one heavier fill- sand).

Will be out testing the .35 rem Contender at 50 yards if the wind dies down tomorrow.
    Last benched deal was my Buckmark w reflex and it was 2" at 25 yards. Was not thrilled.
    Ive shot dime sized groups benched at 25 w irons.................

30 yrs ago.

LMAO

Will slap a rifle scope on the Buckmark for ammo testing.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I just picked up one of these (showed up today) - haven't had a chance to get out to the range but I do like how sturdy and adjustable it is. Worth noting, it is a little more expensive than some of the other models listed.

Top Bottom