The Southern Bend
    sc-gun-stat.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

Not trying to argue but, statistics can be slanted to fit any need. How many times did the civilian pull his weapon last week to defend himself or someone else. Three times for me. A burglar trying to steal weapons (caught), a person firing shots in a housing project (caught) and a car thief with stolen guns (wrecked and caught).

This was not trying to pat myself or anyone on the back. I was just a small part. There are husndreds of cases across Indiana each day. Can we place a number on the people possibly saved during these arrests.

Two weeks ago, we had a guy who stabbed another person while he was asleep on a bus stop bench. Later that day the guy was spotted at a local shelter. Within 30 seconds, three uniformed cars arrived and the bad guy was apprehended.

I would like to see or read about these rampages that were stopped by civilians before passing a quick judgement. If you have any websites, Please post.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think the point of this post was about a robbery, but about psychotics in a large group who think nothing about themselves. i.e. colorado. But I do think the same would be true if most robbers thought that all of the people they encountered were armed. That is a crime deterent.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I don't think the point of this post was about a robbery, but about psychotics in a large group who think nothing about themselves. i.e. colorado. But I do think the same would be true if most robbers thought that all of the people they encountered were armed. That is a crime deterent.

Be it one person or many people, it is still a life possibly saved. The one situation of the housing project. There were at least 300 people living there. Do we place a number on that since they were not injured.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not at all. But I think the picture and those facts represent a larger point that an armed population can deter criminal activity. The police are vital to everything here. I just think that the post was accentuating the point that an involved society can reduce the involvement that is needed from leo's. If a criminal is as scared of the people around him as the leo that will be in route, crime will decrease.

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    Not at all. But I think the picture and those facts represent a larger point that an armed population can deter criminal activity. The police are vital to everything here. I just think that the post was accentuating the point that an involved society can reduce the involvement that is needed from leo's. If a criminal is as scared of the people around him as the leo that will be in route, crime will decrease.

I second this post as my own feelings, too. I do see an absolute need for LEO's and appreciate all that they do for us, but at the same time I will not depend on them to protect me in every situation. I have to be willing to step up and defend myself and my family when the need arises.

If in a croud of people where a shooter were to go on a rampage, it would be quicker for a member of that croud to take down the assailant than it would be to wait for a LEO to respond. I believe that is what the picture was trying to point out. I didnt take it as a slam against LEO's, but merely trying to make a point that the LEO's can't be everywhere.:twocents:

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

I agree. However, and I am trying to not sound so "police like". The very first thing a person with an ltch has to realize it that they must protect themselves and their family. During a heated encounter with a gunman if a person pops up with a pistol (ltch or not), what will be the arriving officer's reaction. It would be wonderful if everyone had that magical badge to identify them. Or, to call 911 and tell them what they are wearing and all that info got out to all of the arriving officers.

I admit that the police can't be everywhere and anticipate each crime. I am very pro-carry. But I have also seen some knuckleheads that have no business carrying a toothpick yet alone a loaded weapon (my two nephews, did I say that?).

Criminals don't care anymore. If they think they can get the best of a person before thay react, they will seize the opportunity. Several officers have been murdered recently in an ambush style. Check out the officer down home page. If they will attack a policeman, they will attack you or several dozen in a theater. Be safe.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom