• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was shopping for a handgun as the first handgun for my adult daughter, and I decided on the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I was surprised when I noticed there is a separate California compliant version, soon to be available. I did a little research and it seems the main differences in the CA compliant version are a magazine disconnect and an indicator on the top of the slide that pops up when a bullet is in the chamber. Does anyone know if this "Loaded when up" popup indicator affects the performance of a handgun? Also, does anyone know if these are the only differences? As the first semi-auto handgun for my daughter, these additional safety features may be desirable for her and I may order the CA compliant version instead of the normal one. And I know a magazine disconnect is controversial, but for my daughter safety is number one so I may prefer a gun with it. I also know that with proper training she should not need a "Loaded when up" indicator, but I can see some benefit in it for her first semi-auto.

Here is a link to the gun in question:

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD? 9mm CA Compliant

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I looked at the Ruger LC9, and it seems the "loaded when up" indicator shouldn't affect the functioning of the gun. A round, when chambered, physically pushes the indicator up. For this to interfere with firing the gun, you'd have to damage the indicator while it's inside the slide, and I have a hard time imagining how that can happen.

I wouldn't trust the indicator, though. I can imagine situations where it gets stuck in the up position, and I would not want to bet my life on that. I'd check the chamber the old-fashioned way: with a finger.

IANAL, and IANAG (G = gunsmith).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My XDm has a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide. Never any problems.

As far as safety of the mag disconnect helping her be more safe, forget it. TRAINING is the only way to do that. Get her some training also.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My understanding is that the mag disconnect is meant to serve two functions:

1. Preventing idiots who think just because there isn't a magazine in the handgun, they can point it at people and pull the trigger.

2. If someone is wrestling with you for the gun, you can just drop the mag and instantly disable the gun.

I do worry that the mag disconnect might malfunction and stop your gun from working.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    As long as you use standard capacity mags, instead of the "limited" capacity mags required by other states, a California setup won't hurt her. I MO, a mag disconnect is a bad thing if you're not a LEO. Just my opinion.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It may not be a good idea to get rid of the mag disconnect. I seem to recall that CA law forbids any modification to a carry gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't like mag safeties and have removed them where possible. But, that said, they do have their place and can save lives. If your daughter might become a 'gun person' and train to become proficient, then the mag safety will not make a bit of difference. But, if she will just have it in case she needs it, it might be a good thing to have. Each year, we hear of incidents where someone racks the slide to eject a round, then drops the mag thinking the gun is now empty. They then discover it's not when they pull the trigger on the 'unloaded' gun. A mag safety could prevent injuries in that situation.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't like mag safeties and have removed them where possible. But, that said, they do have their place and can save lives. If your daughter might become a 'gun person' and train to become proficient, then the mag safety will not make a bit of difference. But, if she will just have it in case she needs it, it might be a good thing to have. Each year, we hear of incidents where someone racks the slide to eject a round, then drops the mag thinking the gun is now empty. They then discover it's not when they pull the trigger on the 'unloaded' gun. A mag safety could prevent injuries in that situation.

Thanks for the advice. That is the exact type of scenario I am trying to avoid, a "noob" mistake that results in someone getting hurt. I trust her judgement, but accidents do happen. I will also enroll her in a gun safety class.

Top Bottom