• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Had a SHOCKING Armslist experience this morning.

Saw a nice little firearm listed for a price that might be a little high but the gun was nearly NIB and a somewhat low production run. Nothing I needed but something I've wanted. We had a pleasant negotiation and the seller came down to a price that was 30% less than the cheapest online price. We chatted on the phone and email before agreeing to a meeting this morning. He was coherent and articulate on the phone without suggesting a midnight meeting in an empty industrial park.

We both showed up ten minutes early. Gun was exactly as presented - maybe better - without a hint of use. Exchanged cash/gun/bill of sale and bid each other a Merry Christmas.

You just gotta weed through the junk, scammers, pie in the sky sellers, buyers that low ball (ouch - that hits close to home) and be willing to move on if the vibe is bad...fair deals and good people are to be found.

...oh and if you see my wife - I was Christmas shopping this morning...HA!

Most of my Armslist transactions have been like this, I have done dozens if not more on Armslist. I have only had three that have been "sketchy".

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    INGO again, sellers who don't leave feedback. I do have a lot of positive feed back as a seller and buyer but I always leave feed back. I sold a gun and they got their feed back, I never did. Same with buying. I leave mine, never get any back. I would guess I am ten or so less than I would be if folks gave feed back, I guess though, mine speaks for itself so I really shouldn't worry.

Yep, has happened to me several times, although I have a lot of feed back on here, I have done more transactions than what my feed back shows.
    I always leave feed back if someone wants it. I usually ask at the end of a transaction, there are people that do not want feed back, as they see it as a means that someone can "track" what they are buying.
    If you wear a tin foil hat, I can respect that. I don't, if there is some sort of a data base, I'm sure I'm already in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, has happened to me several times, although I have a lot of feed back on here, I have done more transactions than what my feed back shows.
    I always leave feed back if someone wants it. I usually ask at the end of a transaction, there are people that do not want feed back, as they see it as a means that someone can "track" what they are buying.
    If you wear a tin foil hat, I can respect that. I don't, if there is some sort of a data base, I'm sure I'm already in it.

The forum is being monitored. Not a tin foil hat observation.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Good to know.
    I have nothing to worry about, a small percentage of my transactions have been actual firearms. More like ammo, once fired brass and accessories is typically what I sell or buy.
    And the ones that have been firearms, I follow the law, as we all should.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Same here "Gunny"....

Good to know.
    I have nothing to worry about, a small percentage of my transactions have been actual firearms. More like ammo, once fired brass and accessories is typically what I sell or buy.
    And the ones that have been firearms, I follow the law, as we all should.

I have a few iTrader points here. I, have even done a few with you...As an old Vender here once told me==Yeah, most of your deals are for $5.00 die sets==Well, that counts too...HA HA HA....Bill.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    "Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there are any new firearms on the market today that will be worth triple or quadruple the initial cost in 20 - 30 years? "

That's a tough question! You never know what the market is going to be like in 20-30 years. If you would have asked me back in the mid 90's that Colt Anaconda's, King Cobra's, Python's, and other Colt revolvers were going to be selling for $2,000-$3,000 I would have asked where are you buying your weed. I still think the bubble is going to burst on those revolvers and those that paid that much are going to have buyer's remorse, unless you got FU money and don't care.

If your looking for investment guns, the only thing I know for a fact are Full Auto fully transferable sub-guns or rifles are going to continue to go up. There's only a limited amount out there and that's the way it will be forever.
    One new production gun that comes to mind is the Coonan .357 mag semi-auto. I just can't seeing them selling enough year in and year out to stay in business. I have a older model B and it was going up in value until Coonan rights were bought out and they started production again. They are expensive, but I would bet 20-30 years from now they will not still be in production and increase in value.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I was told a long time ago don't put anything in a work e-mail you wouldn't want to have printed in the newspaper. If I had to guess the watchers watch a lot of gun-related sites, IP addresses more than user names.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I always leave feed back if someone wants it. I usually ask at the end of a transaction, there are people that do not want feed back, as they see it as a means that someone can "track" what they are buying.

I used to be die hard about feedback. Not so much any more. Had an old friend, long time member, suggest he'd go either direction, but didn't want feed back if I chose not to.

Since then, I wait. If I get feedback I respond with it promptly. If I hear nothing otherwise, I let it be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't care if someone's asking price is higher than what the market generally dictates. If it's a problem, it seems like one that will solve itself.

What is more interesting to me is when people take asking prices (or offers when buying as personal attacks). I don't understand that reaction.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I was told a long time ago don't put anything in a work e-mail you wouldn't want to have printed in the newspaper. If I had to guess the watchers watch a lot of gun-related sites, IP addresses more than user names.

That would be interesting to observe... What are they watching, or ???

They're 'watching' what folks are writing about what they did for Christmas.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

So, somewhere out there sits a government employee that's getting paid to surf INGO! How do I get that job? Would I be allowed to participate if I did get the job? It would suck to have to be a passive participant all of the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, somewhere out there sits a government employee that's getting paid to surf INGO! How do I get that job? Would I be allowed to participate if I did get the job? It would suck to have to be a passive participant all of the time.

That would be interesting to observe... What are they watching, or ???

They're 'watching' what folks are writing about what they did for Christmas.

Interesting.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Used gun pricing has been totally ruined by the internet..

Once some one sees a price, usually high as the moon too, That's the bar in which they and all others rate their used gun..
    I've seen it happen on a few guns "I Had" like the S&W 940 & 547 for instance, I also saw the Colt Python & a few others go threw this..
    "You mean my $400 J frame is worth over a thousand = OH MY!! HaHa.." I mean really??
    I call em "DREAMERS" at the gunshows..
    It's almost like anyone with the aptitude to disassemble a gun is instantly a gunsmith who can polish a sear & shine up a scratched up stainless gun.. It's Scary..
    I have a whole bunch of guitars & the same thing happens there too, You mean my $200 Les Paul is now worth $3000..

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I try to buy everything used, that way I don't lose my butt when I get bored. I would have to say a used gun should bring no more than 85% of what you can get a new one for, and that's if it is in great shape. It's a bonus not to pay tax. Add some holster wear and you are probably down in the 75% range.

Some of the previous posters hit the nail on the head. Sellers bought at the top of the market and are trying to break even. But, we all know that it doesn't matter what you paid, it's what the current market will bring. Every gun store in America is full of inventory they can't move, and prices will stay low or continue to drop for the near future, IMHO.

Other times, people are scammers or just don't know enough about the gun and got screwed themselves. It happens in every market, cars/homes/guns/etc.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    You're right Opie..
    I always buy used & doing that has never done me wrong, In fact I don't want a new Closet queen..
    How's it go way out to the west of Indiana? haven't been there since a KISS convention in the late 90s..
    Gary/Hk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I think used weapons in general are very high priced. I often use my shockface at used prices $50 less than new is not a used price.
    idon’t even go to gun shows anymore I haven’t found a good deal at one since I bought a Mosin for $49.00 years ago.

When Pat Burns bought the remainder of the Finn Mosins and was selling them off, there were people lamenting that, as one guy put it, "Don't you understand? They own them ALL! That's why they can overcharge!"

What he meant was they cost more than he wanted to pay. But if she had the remaining supply, then the price was what she said, not what he wanted. I personally found $289 for an antique, paperwork exempt Mosin built on a Chattelerault receiver in M39 format to be very reasonable. It's laser accurate, damned near indestructible, very pretty and flawlessly reliable.

I've snarked about people trying to sell Mosins for $500 and Arisakas for $800. But if that's what they want to charge, either they'll eventually find a sucker, or they'll drop the price, or just not sell.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Folks can ask whatever they want, doesn't mean a thing....I think some do the overpricing hoping someone doesn't research and see what the true value is and buy the item on a "gotta have it now" impulse.

Top Bottom