• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    But wait the most hi, his highness, the mac daddy obama said there would
    NOT be any new taxes on people making under $250,000 a year.
    Estimate is that it will raise taxes over $10,000 a year per household.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME HE LIED!?!
    Oh I guess he had no idea this would be floated.
    This is a insidious hidden tax.

I'm shocked to the core. :n00b: :rolleyes:

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    But wait the most hi, his highness, the mac daddy obama said there would
    NOT be any new taxes on people making under $250,000 a year.
    Estimate is that it will raise taxes over $10,000 a year per household.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME HE LIED!?!
    Oh I guess he had no idea this would be floated.
    This is a insidious hidden tax.

I'm shocked to the core. :n00b: :rolleyes:

you mean like George the 1st "READ MY LIPS" LOL can we believe any of them?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Listen guys, I don't like the thought of paying more taxes any more than the next guy.

But the simple fact is that no matter who is president now, in the next term, or the next term after that and so on, the only way we are going to even put a dent in our national debt is to raise taxes and cut government spending.

As a society we want all of these nice things from our government: protection, nice roads, nice schools, public assistance programs, and so on. But none of us want to pay for it.

Let me be clear...all of the burden isn't on the shoulders of the taxpayers - the government has to do their part too and slash spending. But even if tax levels stay where they are, it will be a very long time until we get our national debt down to a more manageable level.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Listen guys, I don't like the thought of paying more taxes any more than the next guy.

But the simple fact is that no matter who is president now, in the next term, or the next term after that and so on, the only way we are going to even put a dent in our national debt is to raise taxes and cut government spending.

As a society we want all of these nice things from our government: protection, nice roads, nice schools, public assistance programs, and so on. But none of us want to pay for it.

Let me be clear...all of the burden isn't on the shoulders of the taxpayers - the government has to do their part too and slash spending. But even if tax levels stay where they are, it will be a very long time until we get our national debt down to a more manageable level.
    Problem is a vat tax will go to pay for healthcare. Not to get us out of debt. Any leftover, if there is any will go to redistribution of wealth. Either in their pockets or in a stimulus.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    We don't have to raise taxes one lick. Reduce government spending and cut ALL of the programs unneccessary to the function of the government. Use this income to start paying off the national debt while reducing taxes on the people to stimulate the economy. The government didn't need to spend out money to stimulate the economy. They should have cut their spending in half and then cut taxes. Sure would have helped things, in my opinion...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Problem is a vat tax will go to pay for healthcare. Not to get us out of debt. Any leftover, if there is any will go to redistribution of wealth. Either in their pockets or in a stimulus.

That is the unfortunate reality of the situation. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be a signle politician talking about balancing the budget, getting our debt under control, or reducing waste in the government.

I'm sure there may be a few of them out there, but unfortunately the press isn't giving them near the coverage and voice that the typical tax and spend politicians are getting.

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    We have to pay for that private jet that Pelosi rides around in. If this country doesn't do something about the government, we are in trouble.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We don't have to raise taxes one lick. Reduce government spending and cut ALL of the programs unneccessary to the function of the government. Use this income to start paying off the national debt while reducing taxes on the people to stimulate the economy. The government didn't need to spend out money to stimulate the economy. They should have cut their spending in half and then cut taxes. Sure would have helped things, in my opinion...

I understand what you are saying, and think a spending cut is what is needed. But even if the government reduces some programs and improves its efficiency, we're accumulating interest on the debt so fast that I'm afraid we have no choice but to raise taxes.

The one flaw is that government spending is huge to a nations economy. While the government is spending borrowed bucks, the money that is spent within our borders is crucial to the economy.

We're in a tough spot, since raising taxes generally hurts an economy, since it takes money away from spending within the economy.

There will be no magic bullet unfortunately, but we don't need a bunch of new government health care programs and all that mess. What we need is an administration that focuses on repairing the basic fundamentals of the economy, and that will help a lot of the other things work themselves out.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

:+1:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO

I know it's pie-in-the-sky to even imagine any Congress and President doing it, but there really isn't any need to raise taxes, IF they truly cut spending AND cut (or keep low) taxes. Cutting capital gains taxes and other asset attached taxes alone would kick start the economy. Dropping this health care idiocy and stopping the advance of the "cap and tax" suicide pact would have to happen as well. Starting the economy roaring again, and truly cutting spending would knock down the deficit pretty quickly without raising taxes (as we've seen with the "Laffer Curve" model).

And really, the "nice roads" are supposed to come from fuel use taxes; and they would if Congress would only spend the money on roads. The "public entitlements" are out of control; cutting income taxes would provide more private money that funds private assistance programs so the government would not need to insert itself so much into entitlements. "Nice schools"? Have you seen the Taj Mahals they're building now? My little school district is adding on to the high school with another gym, expanding the existing gym, adding a huge auditorium, dressing up the front entrance, and adding a few more classrooms. They're building a new grade school, too. Right beside the old grade school that's "out of date". 98% of my property taxes went to that school district. All other county services for the area had to divvy up that last 2%, including fire and police. Education is important, but that's over the top.

I think there is a subset of society who wants everything done for them, and are willing to bear the tax burden. There's also a subset that wants everything done for them without the tax burden. But from the opinion polls I've seen and read recently, the largest segment of society does not want the government as a do everything nanny.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    It will be paid off by making the dollar worthless... our debt is stored in USD so when its worth 10% of what it is now we have paid off 90% of the debt. It is Zimbabwe economics.

Top Bottom