• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sorry got carried away and have expanded Sunday’s match to include 7 stages. Done right shooter will need 51 rounds to complete the match. Some of ya might wanna bring a few extra

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This was my backup if TSA had to cancel. Love the idea and I hope these weird little matches keep happening

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    “Weird little matches” I can see how that fits. I’m asked about my StreetWise stages and what is different about this theme of mine. First, in the day of verbal “Fire” commands and stopwatches, these were the kinda matches we shot. Basic guns with Basic equipment, that many shooters wore in from the street, (I still do) unlike suiting up like a commando and carrying a huge duffle bag and wagon.

Second, we turned them into platform specific matches that tested the skill of the shooter, not the equipment. Competition breeds excellence and we owe NRA, USPSA, IDPA and others a big thank you for evolving our equipment to perfection. In a day of high capacity video game guns and 30+ round stages, the sport can scar a defense minded shooter in many ways. Fun but not so practical. On the ground floor of inception of IDPA, ‘96 or so, this seemed like a good idea, however the masses of todays competitors are the tail that has wagged this dog into the opposite of defensive shooting in my opinion. Still fun but rewarding only in practiscore and not good defensive development.

Third, in keeping with real world stats on civil gun fights, round count is kept under 14 per string. This is a better fit for ammo scarcity and skill set concentration, as proven by the unstable atmosphere that many are witnessing with our heartland supply problems today that exist. It can get worse overnight as we have seen rationing before. Shoot how you train with responsible bullet placement if you will. It is hard to neutralize a threat by the sound of gunfire alone.

Fourth, it is no secret that Gun Owners far outnumber the competition shooter. Gun Owners also outnumber those that hone the craft of shooting to a better skill set. The accident, the equipment fails, (another gun came apart at a recent match) the dropped or abandoned guns in public places, the unsafe gun handling by so called experts, death merchants marketing crap to the noob, students buying the wrong gun to start off with, the unconfident, the shy, the embarrassed, the untested, and the believers of a false sense of security ALL could gain something from StreetWise Defensive Matches.

Lastly, we all know you don’t loose weight just by reading about a diet. You have to put in the time. The scale becomes an important part of the process. You have to measure your success. You have to hold yourself accountable and set your goals. Why not do the same for your shooting/carrying skills? Try this format as an inexpensive way to really to have fun and be rewarding too. For you gun owners that find the bigger matches intimidating, costly and a way to throw away 250 rounds on a Saturday, come out and try these little weird matches.

Next up is Pump Shotgun

Trapper

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Trapper Jim, really agree with your "second" point above. I have been shooting IDPA since around 2005 or 2006 and have seen it change quite a bit and in my opinion not for the better. Idpa is my only shooting sport, I can shoot that three times a month without an excessive drive so that is enough.
    When I started one of the rules was max round count on any COF was 18, this has not changed. However back when there would be a lot of COF's with 8 rounds or less but now most are 15 or more rounds. It is not unusual to attend a monthly club match with six COF and every one is 18 rounds.
    I remember the first Indiana State match held in Atlanta had a COF that only required one round. Start was with firearm loaded with one round only but you could reload. It was a really long shot and if you had confidence in your shot you were done.
    I have talked with match directors and they say most people that come to a match want to shoot a lot of rounds. I do think that is also getting away from the origonal idea of IDPA. Jim.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    “Weird little matches” I can see how that fits. I’m asked about my StreetWise stages and what is different about this theme of mine. First, in the day of verbal “Fire” commands and stopwatches, these were the kinda matches we shot. Basic guns with Basic equipment, that many shooters wore in from the street, (I still do) unlike suiting up like a commando and carrying a huge duffle bag and wagon.

Second, we turned them into platform specific matches that tested the skill of the shooter, not the equipment. Competition breeds excellence and we owe NRA, USPSA, IDPA and others a big thank you for evolving our equipment to perfection. In a day of high capacity video game guns and 30+ round stages, the sport can scar a defense minded shooter in many ways. Fun but not so practical. On the ground floor of inception of IDPA, ‘96 or so, this seemed like a good idea, however the masses of todays competitors are the tail that has wagged this dog into the opposite of defensive shooting in my opinion. Still fun but rewarding only in practiscore and not good defensive development.

Third, in keeping with real world stats on civil gun fights, round count is kept under 14 per string. This is a better fit for ammo scarcity and skill set concentration, as proven by the unstable atmosphere that many are witnessing with our heartland supply problems today that exist. It can get worse overnight as we have seen rationing before. Shoot how you train with responsible bullet placement if you will. It is hard to neutralize a threat by the sound of gunfire alone.

Fourth, it is no secret that Gun Owners far outnumber the competition shooter. Gun Owners also outnumber those that hone the craft of shooting to a better skill set. The accident, the equipment fails, (another gun came apart at a recent match) the dropped or abandoned guns in public places, the unsafe gun handling by so called experts, death merchants marketing crap to the noob, students buying the wrong gun to start off with, the unconfident, the shy, the embarrassed, the untested, and the believers of a false sense of security ALL could gain something from StreetWise Defensive Matches.

Lastly, we all know you don’t loose weight just by reading about a diet. You have to put in the time. The scale becomes an important part of the process. You have to measure your success. You have to hold yourself accountable and set your goals. Why not do the same for your shooting/carrying skills? Try this format as an inexpensive way to really to have fun and be rewarding too. For you gun owners that find the bigger matches intimidating, costly and a way to throw away 250 rounds on a Saturday, come out and try these little weird matches.

Next up is Pump Shotgun

Trapper
    I had a blast at the last ACC shotgun match. Most of us don't get to play with the boom sticks enough.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I hope you keep these “weird little matches” going too. I don’t own a lever gun or a pump shotgun, but if I did I’d try to make it to them.

I can understand how someone who drives an hour or more to a match wants a high round count to make it worth it, but I was a big fan of Coach’s carry-gun matches with the lower counts and more focus on accuracy.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I hope you keep these “weird little matches” going too. I don’t own a lever gun or a pump shotgun, but if I did I’d try to make it to them.

I can understand how someone who drives an hour or more to a match wants a high round count to make it worth it, but I was a big fan of Coach’s carry-gun matches with the lower counts and more focus on accuracy.
    Yes Coach was very insightful in bridging the gap between sport, training and defense shooting. However he had to streamline the match to get the registration up in numbers to make it worthwhile by allowing divisions.

The Steetwise matches does not do divisions. I limit the event to 15 shooters and it’s one platform only. While the numbers of participation is still light, which has a Zero financial issue for me or the club I host it at, the one platform, low round count, challenging and fun stages take only a few hours to complete with no set up or takedown required by competitors. Quite simply less is more as the competitors have fun, can get their brass, feel the burn of the timer and challenge, and be on the way home to ponder what they experienced. They also receive match results in Practiscore and First Place gets a Certificate in a PDF suitable for framing.

I have a platform for most anything that shoots.

We have room and to get on my StreetWise Match list, pm me your email. I send out notices on pop up matches along with rules and information when and where I am hosting the next one.

See you on the range

Trapper

Top Bottom