• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    So my dad is very much against me carrying a handgun... One argument he makes (along with "people that carry guns are insecure and compensating for their small dicks") is that he is liable for anything I would do with my gun until I am 21 years old (I'm currently 19).

I'm not sure how the law works on this one... is this a valid argument?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nope. You're legally responsible for all of your actions. You're over 18 and that makes you an adult in the eyes of the law. You can get an LTCH and you (and you alone) are responsible for anything that occurs, not your father. You bear all the legal and financial liabilities.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...One argument he makes (along with "people that carry guns are insecure and compensating for their small dicks") is that he is liable for anything I would do with my gun until I am 21 years old (I'm currently 19).

If I were more secure and/or equipped with an enormous package

...I'd say your Dad [strike]needed to[/strike] could find better arguments. :):

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Remind your father that when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Or, you would rather carry and not need, than need and not be carrying.

Or... because it is your right.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Are people with fire extinguishers insecure?

What about driving a car with an airbag or wearing a seat belt?

Or will his big dick save him?

Ask him if he thinks his dick size changes his odds of being a victim of a violent crime, or more capable of fending off an attacker with his bare hands.

Make sure to ask him when your mom is listening. :)

OTOH, "old people" tend to think "kids" have a chip on their shoulder. They're usually right. Show him you're mature and responsible, get some training, get educated about the laws WRT carry, show him you take being an adult seriously. Ask him to join you.

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Are you living under his roof?

This is actually the only real relevant question asked to you since you first posted. I had discipline and respect living under the roof of my parents house for the short time I did as a young teen/adult. It is your RIGHT to carry a weapon for your protection should you feel it necessary and have the proper documentation (so much for "RIGHT" lol) to do so.

However, if it is your fathers request that you do not own/carry a handgun in the house that he provides for, than you have 2 options:

1: Have a long "father-son" talk with him about you being responsible and caring for your safety and the safety of the sheep that do not exercise their right to protect themselves. Like another poster said, show him you're willing to go the extra mile with training or maybe even educate him yourself.

2: Get a job or some roommates and move out. I'm no therapist, but I'd bet it's in your best interest to just obey your fathers simple request until you have the means to do your own thing.

but to answer the question, No, your father has no argument because on your 18th birthday you became an "adult" and you are now responsible for ANYTHING you do, no matter the size of your dick.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am waiting on a response to my question from the OP as I have not seen a yes or no. I was guessing with my question merely because I have seen this kind of thread here before and many times the issue has to do with someone living in their parent's home.

Call it a guess.

And I am not saying anything bad about the OP, just that if they live under another's roof then there are strings attached.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So my dad is very much against me carrying a handgun... One argument he makes (along with "people that carry guns are insecure and compensating for their small dicks") is that he is liable for anything I would do with my gun until I am 21 years old (I'm currently 19).

Get your LTCH and buy a handgun through a private seller.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I am waiting on a response to my question from the OP as I have not seen a yes or no.

Perhaps this has given the OP something to think about that goes beyond his original question. I think techres's question was insightful. Not because I would EVER debate the right of a legal adult to exercise their Constitutional rights; but because although the legal transition may occur at 18, the realization of true adulthood can be somewhat different.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If this is the case, is the OP's family from Feudal Japan? :D

Or a small town. :D The family politics of a small town actually mean something to those people as opposed to the anonymity of a larger city.

The perception of my family in our hometown was something that my parents instilled in me growing up. That way I was less likely to get in trouble. If I did get in trouble, it made the whole family look bad.

So, if that IS the case, and not his dad actually saying he's still responsible for his actions directly, then I can relate.

Now, if his dad is actually saying his actions directly make his father responsible, it could just be a parental scare tactic like I use on my own kids. ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Or a small town. :D The family politics of a small town actually mean something to those people as opposed to the anonymity of a larger city.

The perception of my family in our hometown was something that my parents instilled in me growing up. That way I was less likely to get in trouble. If I did get in trouble, it made the whole family look bad.

So, if that IS the case, and not his dad actually saying he's still responsible for his actions directly, then I can relate.

Now, if his dad is actually saying his actions directly make his father responsible, it could just be a parental scare tactic like I use on my own kids. ;)

I grew up in a city of over a million people and I got the same thing. Your actions, good or bad, reflect on your whole family. I don't think that's how it should be, but that is how it is. By the same token, you're judged by the company you keep, and it's for that reason that, here on INGO, we make an effort to keep the board "family friendly". We as a community are judged by each and every gun owner in Indiana, whether that gun owner is as calm and rational or as outspoken and rude as can be.

My usual answer is that if I was compensating for a small penis, I wouldn't be carrying a pistol with a 3" barrel.

Blessings,
    Bill

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ok... forgot to check this one for a few days...

Yes I am still living under his roof, and no, im not about to start carrying against his will... I posted this thread to get an answer to something that came up in our long "father-son talk" about carrying so that i could answer his argument.

Also, FTR, the argument was for legal/financial liability

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

First off, you should feel insecure, with or without your firearms on you, no matter the size of your...uh...barrel ;)

We live in a world that is not secure. Crime runs rampant and you need to be able to protect yourself. A firearm on your hip (or under your shoulder) can be a good friend when it comes down to a bad situation. I certainly don't recommend you buy one without him knowing, but you should apply for your LTCH. You won't live with them for ever and my fiancé has been waiting 13+ weeks for the state to issue hers. This Thursday will be the 14th week :rolleyes:. And if you get the lifetime, you never have to worry about it again.

I can totally identify with you though. When I was 17 my uncle and cousin both got their LTCH and bought pistols. I actually went with when my cousin bought his and it was like walking into Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory...if Wonka had made guns. I had always had bb guns and airsoft guns as a kid, my dad owned a few shotguns and black powder rifles, but apart from my grandpa, my cousin and uncle were the first in our big, tight-knit family to purchase handguns.

I tried convincing my parents for a few months to let me get one when I turned 18, but they didn't come around. A few years passed and I went to college, guns were on the back burner. Then, my greatest friend bought me a rifle for my 19th birthday (still my favorite gun). It wasn't long before I caught the gun fever again and finally decided on a P22. But I was still 19...by then both of my parents had shot my rifle and my dad wanted one. My mom actually filled out the form 4473 for the P22 and gifted it to me.

Now, 6 years after they wouldn't let me get a handgun, they both have their lifetime LTCH and have their own handgun. It takes time, but if you truly spend some time talking to them and repeat a lot of facts about firearms, they should come around. You guys should certainly go shooting together, because I find they once you couple the truth about firearms with the experience of actually shooting one, they will want to get their own nearly every single time. Gun fever is real.

Oh, and about 75% of my family owns and carries now. Family cookouts get very fun in the summer when everyone gets together for some target practice too.

Top Bottom