• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Nov 21, 2011
    What power, and why?

I'm trying to decide what scope to put on my Encore muzzleloader. I'm thinking either a 1-4X or a 2-7X, but could use some help from folks who have already put a scope on theirs. If it helps, this will mainly be used for hunting in both seasons (modern gun and ML).

Thanks,
    D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it really depends on how you hunt. when i was using my prohunter i had a 6-18 on it. where i hunt i almost never get a shot at less than 100 yds and my max range what 325. i shot my muzzleloader over 100rds every year to prep for those ranges. i specifically set up my stands for average shots around 150. for this style of hunting 1-4 would not be great. it would be doable but not perfect.

usually for indiana hunting i recomend 2-7, 3-9, 4-12. 2-4 is good for close range shots but 7-12 makes it easier to have a fine aiming point at 100+

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I asked everyone I know and work with who hunts in Southern IN, almost every single one of them says they've never needed to shoot more than 100 yards for all of the deer they've take with a gun. A few have gone out to 120, but said it's rare.

That made my choice easy.

sbcman

Master
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I run a 1x4x32 BSA on my 1894 for firearms season and a 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner for muzzleloading season. The Bushnell is a great scope for the money. If I had to choose one for both seasons, I'd go with the Bushnell.

Edit: I just had a thought- be careful with the eye relief you choose if you're planning to put it on two rifles. Scopes for muzzleloading have eye relief generally much longer than that for rifles and the converse for rifles to muzzleloaders.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I asked everyone I know and work with who hunts in Southern IN, almost every single one of them says they've never needed to shoot more than 100 yards for all of the deer they've take with a gun. A few have gone out to 120, but said it's rare.

That made my choice easy.

i set up my stands a little further away to help me not spoke deer or disturb a certain area. its just diffrent styles of hunting. this year i built a 358 bfg. i took 3 does and my furthest shot was 140. but i have a few stands on the edge of hay fields that i can see 400 yds. i just like to be prepared if a longer shot presents itself. now if i see a deer at 300 yds and its walking towards me ill wait till its close. if i have time or the opportunity ill make a stalk. if its low light or walking away ii dont want to be the guy who says "ill get that buck ive been watching all year next time" i want to be the guy who has spent the time preparing to make the longer shot. even though i prepare for 325 every year with my muzzleloader my furthest shot was at 225.

neither style is wrong just diffrent

Adrian8

Marksman
    Dec 5, 2011
    Just don't put a cheap scope on the mz. The recoil will shake the guts out of it..eventually. I would say at least a $250.00 scope in 3X9 is hard to beat.

Skip

Expert
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I just bought two Nikon Omega scopes. One for the wife's Encore Pro Hunter Endeavor, one for my Encore 209X50 standard barrel. Although, I haven't put them on yet, they are Christmas gifts, I went with the 3X9X40 because of two things: #1: That is the magnification I have on everything and my eyes aren't getting any younger. #2: Like "vette" said, different hunting situations for everyone. Up here in the "pancake" part of the state, a longer shot is highly possible. The guns are 200 yarders for sure, I want my scope to be too. I don't want to limit my firearm, which I chose with the ballistics in mind, to be limited because I didn't want to spend the "jack" for a good optic.

I did that with my Marlin 1894, went with a cheapo scope only to have to have it changed later.

For my .358 WSSM in the Encore platform, I decided to go whole hog and get a Leupold. I got the Ultimate in the SA.B.R recticle. It is supposed to be set up for a "3X50gr" charge for a muzzle loader or a shotgun's ballistics. Real nice scope.

FWIW

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I also have the Nikon Omega. I LOVE IT. It's amazing in low light, and super clear. There isn't another scope I would want other than my omega in Camo all they had was black.

cschwanz

Expert
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm using a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope on my Savage. Its a 3-9 with a BDC reticle in it. In theory, its designed for shooting out to 300, but that about 200 more than I think Ill ever try. At least not until I get more range time with it and get the power dialed in for my load. On max power, i have to use the 250 yd hold point for 200 yard shots, so i need to adjust the scope and keep playing. The goal this summer was to be comfortable at 100 with it. With every bullet touching, I think Im there :)
    Next summer's goal will be to dial in the BDC with my load and then learn the wind's affects on it better.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm using a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope on my Savage. Its a 3-9 with a BDC reticle in it. In theory, its designed for shooting out to 300, but that about 200 more than I think Ill ever try. At least not until I get more range time with it and get the power dialed in for my load. On max power, i have to use the 250 yd hold point for 200 yard shots, so i need to adjust the scope and keep playing. The goal this summer was to be comfortable at 100 with it. With every bullet touching, I think Im there :)
    Next summer's goal will be to dial in the BDC with my load and then learn the wind's affects on it better.

what the advantage to dailing you load to your bdc instid of picking a load the gun likes and figuring out what the holdover marks equate to?
    but i do agree with you that all the preset bdc marked scopes ive used are optimistic. 9 time out of 10 your 250yd mark will be closer to 200yds in real world shooting

cschwanz

Expert
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That particular scope has different power settings for different loads (i.e. a 2 pellet load vs a 3 pellet load. I have the rifle dialed in with a load i like. Now i just have to find what power setting (2 pellet, 3 pellet etc). Ive been using it on the 3 pellet setting (max power) but its not 100% accurate for drops. I just want to get it to the point that the 150 hold point lands at 150 yards, 200 point at 200 etc etc. More for fun than anything. I only have a couple of hunting stands that I could use more than that distance anyway and where I hunt there is zero need for that long of a shot. All 3 of my does this year were 40-55 yard range.

Skip

Expert
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    p.s. This is a plug for the Vortex line that "vette" sells too. I looked at the Diamond long and hard before getting the Nikons. Nothing wrong with the Vortex and I am sure as I can be that they would have worked quite well. They were a tad cheaper, $30 each or so too.

FWIW (Just thought I would throw that out there so he didn't have to! ;) And no, I have no dog in that hunt! I don't work with or for 'vette but both the scopes and him seem to be quality!)

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to go with the higher power scope. Given the range of these firearms (and as others have said), consistent shots out to 200-300 yards are possible, so using a scope that would allow that seems to make sense.

D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to go with the higher power scope. Given the range of these firearms (and as others have said), consistent shots out to 200-300 yards are possible, so using a scope that would allow that seems to make sense.

D

200 can be done without a ton of pratice. 300 takes alot of rounds down range to do ethically. not that it cant be done it just takes work. send me a pm now that you have a basic idea of what your going for and we can see what i have in inventory in your price range

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    thanks for the plug, im sure we can work somthing out in the future

p.s. This is a plug for the Vortex line that "vette" sells too. I looked at the Diamond long and hard before getting the Nikons. Nothing wrong with the Vortex and I am sure as I can be that they would have worked quite well. They were a tad cheaper, $30 each or so too.

FWIW (Just thought I would throw that out there so he didn't have to! ;) And no, I have no dog in that hunt! I don't work with or for 'vette but both the scopes and him seem to be quality!)

Top Bottom