• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zx6rman96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I have a oly arms ar15 with a fixed carry handle. I want to mount some sort of optic to it, and have seen different ways in doing so. Anyone here run optics on top of the carry handle? I been looking at the EOTech512, and some people are mounting it on the hand guard. I heard with this kind of optic you want it as far away from you as you can put it. I really dont want to put a scope on my rifle, but would love to have some sort of magnification, but i dont think i would be able to run a magnifier and a EOTech....suggestions? I dont plan on shooting out past 200yards but who knows. rifle is only used for paper, sometimes yotes, and of course CQC. would love to see some pics if you have the setup i am after

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a oly arms ar15 with a fixed carry handle. I want to mount some sort of optic to it, and have seen different ways in doing so. Anyone here run optics on top of the carry handle? I been looking at the EOTech512, and some people are mounting it on the hand guard. I heard with this kind of optic you want it as far away from you as you can put it. I really dont want to put a scope on my rifle, but would love to have some sort of magnification, but i dont think i would be able to run a magnifier and a EOTech....suggestions? I dont plan on shooting out past 200yards but who knows. rifle is only used for paper, sometimes yotes, and of course CQC. would love to see some pics if you have the setup i am after

if you have a fixed carry handle on the rifle and you mount any reddot on the top of the handguard then the carry handle will be in the way (unless somone has come out with somthing im not aware of yet)

i think you would be best off with a stardard carry handle mount and a low power scope or red dot

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You need a mount like this to be able to mount optics on your carry handle or above your hand guards. I have one and it was ok but I went with a plain ARMS carry handle mount for my red dot.

A.R.M.S., Inc.[hsh]39

view_file.asp

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    While there are ways to mount optics to a fixed carry handle none of them are recommended IMO. What you end up with is a pound-to-fit solution that will leave you disappointed.

If you can, find a flat-top upper and start there. Then your options for mounting optics is endless.

zx6rman96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    While there are ways to mount optics to a fixed carry handle none of them are recommended IMO. What you end up with is a pound-to-fit solution that will leave you disappointed.

If you can, find a flat-top upper and start there. Then your options for mounting optics is endless.

thats what i was afraid of...........

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

agreed, you can probably get a flat top for south of 100 bucks and solve all your problems

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    true! but then i have to get some flip up irons in case the optics fail.....unless i could find a deal (combo) from somone on here

check with ms armament. flip sights are not alot of money, i have a rear mbus sight in my parts bin i would sell for 40 bucks, and your front sight would not have to change

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, roughly a couple hundred to make the switch (upper + good BUIS), PLUS whatever optic you want.

Top Bottom