• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Give me advice. What is the best way to mount it? I would also like to be able to use iron sights if the optic screws up. I'm not looking to buy right away, so budget is not currently an object, I'm really just toying around with different ideas. Pictures are also greatly appreciated to give me ideas.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I run the Kalinka mount with a primary arms multi dot aimpoint copy.

DSC00852.JPG

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I went with the Midwest Industries/US Palm rail and the Micro Green Dot on one of mine. I've used an Ultimak in the past and it's super secure and nice and low, just keep in mind that it IS the gas tube so it gets hot and transfers that heat to your optic and mount. Only an issue if you shoot a lot of rounds at a time, but that's me.

Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

I had planned on getting that RS Products side mount posted above, and using it with one of my AimPoints, but the wait for them to become available was killing me. I watched the manufacturer post progress updates for over 6 months and decided to get something already available instead. I like the design of it and I'll probably still get one when they're back in stock at Brownell's again.

Here's my MI/US Palm rail and green dot reflex sight:
    ed562446.jpg

5f1c170b.jpg

2074ef82.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sorta depends on your usage. For me Ultimak and Aimpoint Micro. If you want magnification, go with the TWS topcover and some type of 1-4 like the Burris Tac or Leatherwood CMR. I think I am also going to try one of the MI/US Palm setups on my 74.

mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Quick-Detachable-Double-Mount/dp/B001F0IA1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304600788&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: UTG 5th Gen Quick Detachable Double Rail AK Side Mount: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

have a cheap Walmart reddot on mine. The mount is adjustable, but out of the box, slid on and locked on solid. Flip the lever, and it slides off.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Amazon.com: UTG 5th Gen Quick Detachable Double Rail AK Side Mount: Sports & Outdoors

have a cheap Walmart reddot on mine. The mount is adjustable, but out of the box, slid on and locked on solid. Flip the lever, and it slides off.

That was the mount I started with but Didn't like the fact that it didn't co-witness and could never figure out what in the hell I'd do with the side rail that far back as my hand would block most the light from a flashlight mounted back there.

DSC00705.JPG

It was just long enough to fit my red dot and a magnifier though.
    IMG00033-20100123-2112.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Surprisingly the UTG side scope rail mount holds a zero and has quick detach. You can dremel off that stupid side rail and it will still be strong and hold a zero.

It's not as cool as the big name rails but I have personally put mine through its paces and anyone who just parots what others say (it sucks because its UTG an doesn't cost $100) is dead wrong. I've thrown mine around and it still holds zero. Now using a good optic is the biggest key. Because usually the cheap as crap red dots are crap for real.

Buy the UTG side mount rail for $25 on amazon.com and see for yourself!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Surprisingly the UTG side scope rail mount holds a zero and has quick detach. You can dremel off that stupid side rail and it will still be strong and hold a zero.

It's not as cool as the big name rails but I have personally put mine through its paces and anyone who just parots what others say (it sucks because its UTG an doesn't cost $100) is dead wrong. I've thrown mine around and it still holds zero. Now using a good optic is the biggest key. Because usually the cheap as crap red dots are crap for real.

Buy the UTG side mount rail for $25 on amazon.com and see for yourself!

I had one of these, and mine sucked. 1) The locking lever was so soft, it felt like it was bending as it was cranked down, and 2) it didn't return to zero when removed. I'm not saying they are all that way, but UTG's quality control is definitely lacking.

The Belarus mounts are so much nicer, and don't cost much more. The Belarus BP02 is around $60 when its not on sale @ Kalinka, and often cheaper on AKfiles or eBay. It's built heavier, sits lower, and holds & returns to zero.

Kalinka BP-02 AK/AKM Low Profile Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail w/ Black Finish

MrCooper

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I will be running the MI AK rail with Palm Upper Optic Mount and Primary Arms Micro Dot.
    Primary Arms Micro Dot Midwest Industries Handguard Bundle This is what the budget allows.
    I looked the Ultimak but I like the looks of the MI better.

There is also a rail made by TWS that looks very nice and extends the sight radius, which I may add in the future.

+1 on the MI/Palm handguard rail. I'm not a big AK guy but I think its the way to go if you want to still utilize your iron sights. That setup will allow you a lower 1/3 cowitness.

Top Bottom