• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I'm on the hunt for a new optic for my newest rimfire sporter build, I want a 1-6 with a target dot, that isn't $500 plus bucks, but I diegress......in my hunt, I have looked at optics that range from $500 to $1800 and it boggles my itty-bitty mind as to how many optic companies do not show you the reticle, I meen come on, you want me to spend $1k on a scope and not show me what reticle? Then of the companies that do show the reticle 90% of those places do not give your the dimensions in M.O.A. ...... once again how can you expect anyone to buy something with this kinda information??

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    After I posted this I honestly think I answered my own question....... A) the optic companies are selling to people who think the more they spend , the better they are......and B) if your using your AR off the bench to blast a pie plate at 50 yards, any old scope with any reticle will work for you

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    LVPO? Illuminated prism?
    I guess I'm too "old school" -- raised on iron sights out to 500 yards (450 meters) -- and using 1x red dot now. Just bought another one in a brand and model I don't already have . . . and had zero problem with companies showing the reticles.

Have you tried looking at YouTube reviews of the ones you've been considering? Many will show reticles as seen by the camera they've used to make the video. That's what I did when I narrowed it down to two brands/models.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Interesting parenting, but what does that have anything to do with for this thread?
    After I posted this I honestly think I answered my own question.......
    . . .
    B) if your using your AR off the bench to blast a pie plate at 50 yards, any old scope with any reticle will work for you
    OP's remark about using the AR on a bench to punch pie plates at 50 yards and wondering if anything more than 1x adds much of anything at 50 yards to hit pie plates . . . and I mentioned 1x red dot.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    OP's remark about using the AR on a bench to punch pie plates at 50 yards and wondering if anything more than 1x adds much of anything at 50 yards to hit pie plates . . . and I mentioned 1x red dot.
    You sir, have 100% missed the point. You would not buy a car without knowing how many doors it has or what engine would you? I do not feel I should have to beg any company to give me basic information.
    You also missed my point that most people A) look at price and think the more they spend is better and B) most people think marksmanship is blasting a pie plate at 50 yards off the bench.
    Allow me to give you the full back story , I am looking for an optic for my new rimfire sporter build. That match a 6x max optic is Allow. My current set up mimics my service rifle AR based rifle with a 1-4 on top of it. My 1-4 works well for XTC ( that is an 80 round across the course) , but I feel it's a little lacking for a mid range (600 yard prone) . I have a national match that wears irons(just plain AR TYPE, not fancy apature sights on a Palma rifle) that I shoot in reduced XTC matches and do ok, in fact I feel no disadvantage when shooting shooting a 200 yard match, like the modern military. I can go clean on both the slow & rapid prone and only drop 3-5 points offhand. (On a good day) . So back to where we began, I understand I am the limiting factor I marksmanship, how ever I do not want to be at any disadvantage & I want a top 10 finish at the National Matches.

You also mentioned youtube reviews, most of the time i find them worthless . Most of the reviews do not tell you anything. How clear is the glass? How well does the scope track? And most of all, the reviews are based on how small of a group the reviwer can shoot , well group size is up to you, can you read the wind? Do you squeeze thru the shot? Do you have good cheek weld everything? Or can you shoot thru the Mirage? A good marksman can over cove all of these things and not blame his equipment.

My rant is over.

See ya at the National Matches!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you look around on their site there is probably a PDF link you can click and download all the reticle images and dimensions they make. Then it's just a matter of finding the ones that come on the scope you're interested in

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Or another thing I've taken to doing is finding the optic I'm interested in at an online retailer like EuroOptic.com for example. They are pretty good about having reticle pics and info.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I've not had this problem. Every optic I've looked at, on their manufacturers page both shows the reticle and frequently has a detailed view of the subtensions. Arken, Athlon, Vortex, Swampfox, Bushnell, Sightron, Nightforce, all across every range of price, I find reticle details and subtension. So I'm curious which ones you're having issues with. I personally wouldn't buy an optic unless it had the subtension detail.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    You sir, have 100% missed the point. You would not buy a car without knowing how many doors it has or what engine would you? I do not feel I should have to beg any company to give me basic information.
    . . .
    You also mentioned youtube reviews, most of the time i find them worthless . Most of the reviews do not tell you anything. How clear is the glass? How well does the scope track? And most of all, the reviews are based on how small of a group the reviewer can shoot , well group size is up to you, can you read the wind? Do you squeeze thru the shot? Do you have good cheek weld everything? Or can you shoot thru the Mirage? A good marksman can over cover all of these things and not blame his equipment.
    Perhaps I did . . . and I'll leave you with this . . .

Regarding the reticles in the various optics I've bought, like some other replies here I've always been able to find the instructions and other specs/descriptions with images of the reticles. Usually the manufacturer, and sometimes a major retailer.

YouTube requires sifting through the chaff to find the useful. It's why I skim through videos to find whether there's content useful to me, and if so, where it is in the video. The keyboard arrow keys can advance/rewind about 5 seconds at a time, and sliding the keyboard cursor along the video timeline without clicking on it gets a thumbnail preview of the image you'll see along the video's timeline. Once you find a reviewer who does give the kind of information you like, then search their channel for the specific items you're interested in. Yes, it can be tedious, but it usually hasn't required too much time to find the useful.

Hoping you can ultimately find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some of us slobs have been using/buying optics for a while, are accustomed to manufacturer's websites

There are a few YT channels where folks actually test optics for tracking and other.

You want a top 10 finish but have a limit on optic price?
    That might not mesh, just saying.

Been watching folks play the game on YT w HP rifles and it seems as though Nightforce is a starting point.

I might get one for a varmint rifle, but there weight isn't a concern.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Some of us slobs have been using/buying optics for a while, are accustomed to manufacturer's websites

There are a few YT channels where folks actually test optics for tracking and other.

You want a top 10 finish but have a limit on optic price?
    That might not mesh, just saying.

Been watching folks play the game on YT w HP rifles and it seems as though Nightforce is a starting point.

I might get one for a varmint rifle, but there weight isn't a concern.
    I have only purchased 2 optics 1 is for a service rifle, 1 is a 1-6 El cheapo for my last rimfire sporter rifle, the optic on my Remington 540XR came with the gun & the one on my match I was given, so this is a learning curve.

With my El cheapo optic I shot my way to a 13th (out of over 200 competitors in my division) rimfire sporter is a marksmanship program not an equipment race.

Nightforce......hhhmmmm thanks for the heads up

Top Bottom