• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Hopefully some of you can school me on optic quick release mounts. I'm interested in getting one to mount on a prism scope, as I think it will be handy to take off to clean the rifle, maybe fit in a case to go to the range, etc.

What experience do you have? Do you like these, or are they just another gimmick?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Basically a good one is good, and a bad one is bad. It's all about return to zero. A lot are advertised as return to zero, but in my book are not.

The word zero is always give or take. Some rifle zero us give or take 2 inch at 100 yards. Some rifles it's give or take 1/8th inch at 100 yards.

For 25 bucks you can probably get a mount that returns within 8 inches per 100 yards. For 100 you cam probably get one that's within 2 inches per 100, for 200 you can't get one that's within 1/4 inch oer hundred yards.

I'm my book QD mounts have 2 options.

1) do it right
    2) don't do it.

Either can be right depending on application, but I don't see do it cheap as an option ever

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Basically a good one is good, and a bad one is bad. It's all about return to zero. A lot are advertised as return to zero, but in my book are not.

The word zero is always give or take. Some rifle zero us give or take 2 inch at 100 yards. Some rifles it's give or take 1/8th inch at 100 yards.

For 25 bucks you can probably get a mount that returns within 8 inches per 100 yards. For 100 you cam probably get one that's within 2 inches per 100, for 200 you can't get one that's within 1/4 inch oer hundred yards.

I'm my book QD mounts have 2 options.

1) do it right
    2) don't do it.

Either can be right depending on application, but I don't see do it cheap as an option ever
    The QD mounts I've tried were the 2" off of zero at 100yds kind. I no longer mess with them.
    Leave the optic on if need be cover it up to clean your firearm, and get a case that is made for a rifle with optics.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It really depends on what you are using the rifle for. I have several on multiple rifles that get a lot of use and I've never had to quickly disconnect an optic. I also don't take them off to clean my rifles. There is no need unless you're throwing the entire rifle/upper in an ultrasonic cleaner or something like that (and afterward you should check zero to make sure there wasn't a shift when removing and replacing the optic).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love my QD mounts. That said, how much can you trust them? How many variables effect their precision? And as AA said, what is considered precision?

No getting around that there could be some even slight user error that could drastically effect return to zero?

Never forget laying prone at the range and changing from QD red dot to sighted in QD 14x glass for long range. The great LaRue mount wasn't enough to make up for whatever variable bit me. Couldn't hit :poop:, much less figure where my shots were going at 200 yards. Luckily the BUIS still worked fine to ring the steel. :n00b:

Our frugal friend rino once reminded me that he he hated to spring for expensive QD mounts. Made it a point to keep the wrench for his sight mounts in his kit though.

movevio1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Southeast Indiana
    I have a set of Leopold QD mounts that were shipped with a scope and I couldn’t believe how well they hold zero…even though I have no real reason to ever take it off

Top Bottom