• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I just picked up my first bolt action rifle, a Tikka T3 lite in 223. I need a scope for it.

1) This will be a range gun only. I do not hunt and to shoot the only varmints in my suburb I would use my 9mm handgun or my 870 tactical shotgun.

2) My near gun ranges have 100-200 yard lines. I might get to shoot 300+ yards on private property but this would be rare enough I would not pay much extra for that capability.

3) I have a $250-$300 budget.

Question 1: Fixed scope or variable scope for the shooting I described? Better glass in a fixed scope in my price range?

Question 2: A Variable 3-9x40 seems to have the most competition, which is good for the consumer. Would I need something better and why?

Question 3: I read about scopes being assembled in USA, Japan, Philippines, China and maybe else where. Whats the difference and and does it matter in my price range.

Question 4: Tops brands in my range seem to be Vortex, Burris, Nikon, Redfield, Leupold and other suggestions?

Question 5: What should I have asked in questions 1-4 but didnt?

Thanks for any help or advice,

WSB

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Pm Alan. AA optics on here. He is a wealth of knowledge and can answer all your questions probably better than most.

I prefer a variable power to fixed. However a fixed is easier to use. No adjusting or trying to figure out what power your on. I learned on a fixed 10 in the army and it was very capable out to 800 yards but sucked for anything up close.

A 3-9 would be a very good choice and would do everything you are wanting to do and way more. Again get with Alan to see what scooe he thinks fits this bill best.

The way I understand it no scopes are made in America. Most are just assembled here. You will get better glass and over all quality out of stuff from Europe and Japan though over stuff from China IMO.

Of your brands listed vortex is going to be the best IMO. They are one if the few companies that actually listen to the users and build scopes based off those suggestions. They also have the best warranty in the business. That being said leupold makes a good scope. Nikons are decent.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have the SWFA SS 12x on my T3 Varmint and I like it. It's good for bench shooting at any reasonable distance. I've shot from 100 to 500. I like the extra magnification for close targets but it can be difficult finding multiple targets up close. For me it's a great starter scope until I'm able to get a SWFA 5-20 HD.

congrats on the Tikka, mine has spoiled me! It's now the standard that I compare all rifles to (within reason and my budget of course).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sorry I missed this, I didnt get to dedicate the time I usually do this weekend due to the 1500.

I would like to see you get a scoep with a AO on it. Its not a absolute must have for your distances, but it sure is nice. In the 250-300 dollar range I would go with this priced at 189 with BDC reticle
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO Dead-Hold BDC

If your interested in bumping the budget to 400 that opens this as a option.
    Vortex Optics - Viper 4-12x40 PA Dead-Hold BDC

By going to the Viper you gain durability, qlass quality, ease of use (PA vs AO) and its made in the philipines, vs the CS2 being made in china.

The with the various countries that make optics there are good and bad factories in each, but the one you really have to watch is china. They have a couple factories their that are absolutely horrible. A good rule of thumb is if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. The product's Japan, and Germany produce are on top of the heap.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I knew you were at the 1500 so I didnt bug you. I knew you would answer when you had time.

Now that they have been out for while exactly how does the Diamondback HP compare vs the Viper?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I knew you were at the 1500 so I didnt bug you. I knew you would answer when you had time.

Now that they have been out for while exactly how does the Diamondback HP compare vs the Viper?

The diamondback HP does not have the glass quality the Viper does, and the turret design is not as good. It has a larger zoom range (4x), and side focus which are benefits. I guess my answer to that would be one is not necessarily better, they are just different. The put the manufacturing dollars into different features. You would really have to ask yourself whats more important, a larger zoom range, or a little better glass/turrets.

Top Bottom