• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok, I am looking at picking up a shotgun. I am trying to decide between a Remington 870, a Benelli M2 tactical, OR a Benelli M4 Tactical. For the price of the M4 I can pick up both the 870, AND the M2, So my question is this: Is the M4 worth the extra cash over the M2, Or should I just get the M2 and the 870 together?.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    At this point I have no real preference between the M2 or the M4 I was just curious as to that the real differences between them...besides the price. The 870 isn't even in the running. I will be picking an 870 up regardless of which Benelli I get. The only question is when. At the same time or separately.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Saw this recently, google helped me find it again. At least it’s a solid comparison between the two benellis

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Saw this recently, google helped me elf find it again. At least it’s a solid comparison between the two benellis

Thanks Kevin. That answers a few of my questions, but raises some others….

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks Kevin. That answers a few of my questions, but raises some others….
    One part of the article that confuses me is early on he states that the M2 "kicks a bit more". Then in the Pros and Cons area, he gives the M4 a thumbs down for more recoil.

So, which one has more felt recoil?

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Ok, I am looking at picking up a shotgun. I am trying to decide between a Remington 870, a Benelli M2 tactical, OR a Benelli M4 Tactical. For the price of the M4 I can pick up both the 870, AND the M2, So my question is this: Is the M4 worth the extra cash over the M2, Or should I just get the M2 and the 870 together?.
    Do you ever plan on using this for any type of skeet/trap/bird?

If so, then the M2 is the way to go.

If not, another to strongly consider is the Beretta 1301 tactical. Most recent Gen doesn’t need the Nordic extension.

Honestly, if you’re considering a pump then I would suggest the Supernova.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My son returned from his last deployment and he trained with the M4. He absolutely fell in love with it. He had me searching the internet for several months trying to find one. I couldn't find one available. So he decided to buy a Condo instead :lmfao:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The M4 is worth it but just remember, a magazine tube isn't cheap.

The M4 is about the only shotgun out there that has build quality comparable to what you'd expect from military service rifles. It is truly a beauty inside.

The M2 is inertia driven, the M4 uses 2 independent gas pistons. The M4 is a tamer shooting shotgun. The M2 also will be sensitive to what you bolt to it, since its recoiling mass is part of what times its cycling. The M4 will not care.

If you want to be the cool guy, get the M3. It's inertia driven like the M2, but you can also pump it. Not a lot of folks have them, so it has a cool factor to it.

Reactions: Leo

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    It depends on what you want to do with it.
    I'd go for a Mossberg 500 over a Remington 870.
    It's a do all, reliable gun.
    Remington QC was crap before they went bankrupt and supposedly they are improving now since they re-opened.
    An older one would be a decent option if you like cross boat safeties.
    I personally like the mossberg thumb safety.
    The Semi auto Benelli Shotguns are on a whole different level of price and are more purpose built.
    I prefer pump action for reliability, but thats just me.
    A long barrel mossy 500 with an additional security 18.5" barrel is a great do all option.
    You can run light loads in a pump too.
    Semi autos might struggle with light loads.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Up until the release of the 870 in the late 50's all new shotgun lines were a result of improvements. The 870 was not, it was driven by cost of production and profit. It's success brought down the whole shotgun market from 'as good as you can get' to 'as cheap as you can make.'

Since Remington was successful it pushed all the other manufactures to drop their current lines, not because they weren't successful or great guns, but because they were expensive to make with to low a profit margin. After they sacrificed milled parts for stamped ones, a trick they learned from making 03-A3's for the .gov, they then threw out the concept of metallurgy and went with cheaper and cheaper proprietary formulas until it bit them in the butt. All the time with the loyal few touting the supremacy of their thought and product.

In the end you reap what you sow and just where is Remington now? I remember the Christmas before Remington went belly up my LGS had 870 Expresses for $189 with a $50 rebate.

They single handedly took the shotgun market into the toilet to where Mossberg can now be said to have a "good" product. Mossberg has always addressed the choke as just how far you taper down the last couple of inches of the barrel. Winchester in it's hay day would start shaping the pellets as soon as they left the casing. Look down the barrel of an old Model 12, you will see many facets in the barrel designed just for that purpose.

Most people will say, "yes, but the 870 is the best selling shotgun ever." But if all you have to eat are saltine crackers then a Ritz cracker will taste like a feast! These are the silly masses that don't know their butt from the end of their shotgun and probably have a Yugo in the garage.

My rant is not targeted at your newest love in shotguns, it is trying to get you to wonder "what if". Today John Moses Browning would be kicked out of all the current manufacturers being laughed at for something that was too heavy and expensive to make. We are reduced from a world of the best money could buy to the worst/cheapest someone will buy, and we did it to ourselves...

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Top Bottom