Opinions about Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestBAL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    I am looking at a Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380 to carry. Just wanting some thoughts and opinions about this if you have any. I also have a Glock 26, but want something smaller to conseal carry with me. I have a Keltec 9mm and a Keltec 380 that I am looking to sell or trade for possibly the Bodyguard 380. I just don't like the way the Keltec feels in my hand and they don't have a safety. I am trying to find a store that has the bodyguard in stock so I can hold it. I like that the bodyguard has the finger grips and the finger extension on it. Please give me any helpful thoughts or where I might find this cheaper. I know Gander Mountain has it for $399.00 and is the cheapest so far. Thanks for the input! :ar15:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I like it. I think you may be able to do better than $399 (although in this environment, who knows?). The early production runs (most notably pre EABxxxx, but I chose to buy from the post EBBxxxx lots) experienced some problems with the firing pin breaking, the disassembly lever popping out of its location and the buttons on the laser not engaging, or being hard to push. It appears to me at least that the changes implemented by S&W have resolved those issues. I haven't had any issues at all with either of the units I bought. As for performance, the sights are much nicer than those of the other pistols in its class, the accuracy is very, very good (probably at least in part due to the sights), it is comfortable in my hand and though it is not exceedingly pleasant to shoot a large amount of rounds through it, it is comfortable through 4 or 5 magazines, okay through about 50 rounds, and manageable after that, if not pleasant. It is better than the few other pocket pistols I've shot though, like the P3AT and the LCP. Not as nice as a Mustang or a P238 though. In short, I'm well pleased with it, and do carry it as a BUG.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I had an early model and hated it, constant FTE, FTFeed, etc, across numerous ammo types.

However, I hear nothing but good about recent models.

Personally, I carry an LCP or an LC9 now.

You can do better than $399 at a LGS, but not by much.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    I've been carrying my BG for a couple years now, and really enjoy it. I went with a Recluse pocket holster, and wear it in my front pocket. The weight is light enough that even is slacks or soft shorts, that it is not uncomfortable.

As you will read in many reviews the trigger pull is a little on the long side and it is a double action. Unless you are used to this, you will need to practice quite a bit to become comfortable with where the trigger breaks. I have put quite a few rounds through mine, and have had no issues except for one FTFeed with a hollow point.

For the price with an integrated laser, you can not beat this gun! Sure the Sig P238 is a much nicer gun, and shoots fantastic, but you could purchase 2 of the BG for one of the Sigs.

ChevyMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    I am also looking at teh BG and have asked several folks and while most state this is a great gun most also have said the LCP is better. I have only found 1 shop in SE Indiana that has one most other places tell me they have not seen any in months. In local store price is $425 and will not budge, business is booming and it is a supply demand market at this point. Best of luck in deciding.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I like the BG a lot...the sights, not picky about ammo, and the S&W service. You will be satisfied, and it will hold most of its value if you ever choose to resell. You cant go wrong. I have used many holsters, and found it most easy to front pocket carry.

I have sent about 1000 rounds down the tube, and found it accurate. The only downside is the .380 ammo costs.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not a fan, had to work on way too many.

Early models the laser screw wasn't tight enough from the factory, so after a short time the screw would back out and jam in the recoil spring, shaking the laser to death and seizing the gun pretty well and made the take down pin tricky to get out.

So their cure was to put red locktite on the screw, so the wussy alan wrench it shipps with would eventually spin out and now you can't replace the batteries in the laser.

The triggers keep getting worse and worse.

And the thumb safety is damn near impossible to use now, they keep increasing the strength of that spring and actually sliding it up and down is a PITA.

IF you can stage the trigger, they are fairly accurate guns though.....

codyt87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Putnam County
    I really like mine, although I did have to send it back to get it worked on because the laser cover had fallen off and the laser wouldnt hold center while shooting. It shoots great and accurate using the sights. I picked mine up in plainfield used for 275$(still the EBBXXXX), but they had new ones for 359$.
    I should be getting the gun back soon, I cant wait to put some more rounds thru it.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    For what's worth I like it (mostly).
    I fired a friends at the range and was absolutely amazed at the accuracy. At 15-25 yrd's I was consistently hitting 6 inch steel plates. The biggest aid in this was the sights. Much better than the lcp or 3at. The loooonnggggg trigger pull takes a bit to get used to. And the safety is stiff to say the least.
    It is light weight, conceals well and for my medium size hands is relatively comfortable to shoot the first few magazines.
    Good luck on your purchase if that is what you decide on. I maybe getting one myself if I can find one reasonably priced.

Stay safe

Jneal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I like mine. I've got around 500rds through mine with zero issues so far. It goes everywhere with me. It serves it's purpose well, but like stated before, the trigger pull is long as it's DAO.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    As others have stated, stay away from early SN's.

I have an EATxxx and it has been flawless. Put a Hogue Handall Jr. on it which helps alot with recoil and grip. I installed it upside-down and had to trim it.

It's great to easily carry during jacket/coat weather seasons.

The only minor gripe I have is the long DAO but you can get used to it.

Its a personal protection pistol not a target shooter so the trigger is tolerable.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I love my bodyguard. For a small gun, it is quite accurate. I had a kydex holster made for the gun so I can carry it on my hip. Rather than keeping it in a pants pocket. The only issue I have had with it is with the laser. The batteries do not seem to last very long.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Call the fine folks over at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. They have a reputation of being very fair with pricing. I do not work for them but they have been very nice when I have been in the store and some friends of mine have purchased a couple of pistols from them.

I myself have never had good luck with 380's. I carry a Smith 638. Love the wheel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom