• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TN_Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    The backside of nowhere
    I just moved here from Tennessee and I was wondering about the acceptance of Open Carry here in Indiana. I have been reading the site and see that there are people out there doing it but it seems pretty common to be hassled.

I have to say, Tennessee is very accepting of open carry and in fact most police departments including the State Police are trained in their academies that civilian open carry is 100% legal and perfectly acceptable. I never had a problem.

I am waiting on my Indiana permit now and when it comes in I may OC here as well. Just wondering if I will get hassled and have a situation where the cops will show up on a man with a gun call.

This may be interesting.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I just moved here from Tennessee and I was wondering about the acceptance of Open Carry here in Indiana. I have been reading the site and see that there are people out there doing it but it seems pretty common to be hassled.

I have to say, Tennessee is very accepting of open carry and in fact most police departments including the State Police are trained in their academies that civilian open carry is 100% legal and perfectly acceptable. I never had a problem.

I am waiting on my Indiana permit now and when it comes in I may OC here as well. Just wondering if I will get hassled and have a situation where the cops will show up on a man with a gun call.

This may be interesting.

i OC almost all the time and I havent been hasled by the cops. But you do have to remember that theres a lot of damn yankees up here. Tennessee is in the sweet south. why the heck did you move to POS indiana? :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

In reality, the problems experienced by people who carry openly are uncommon. The people who perpetuate the myths are those who oppose open carry for whatever reason.

I've never had a problem. I've had some interesting questions, but no problems or negative encounters with police.

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    I open carry at all times and only once got a little guff from a cop but it waz quickly hanndled and he let me on my way. Ur bigest prob will be the cilvians that either are afraid of gun or are just to slowed headed to know the law and want to run there mouth about it . just had that prob the other day with my ol ladys buddy tring to tell me i could not OC . What scared me most is she has her LTCH and dont no the rules behind it " stupid chick carrys a revolver in the bottom of her purse"

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Welcome to Indiana and ingo.

In 2 years of 50/50 CC/OC I have been asked not to bring it in a gas station once. I'm sure she was anti but it was not really unpleasent though. However, I never spent another penny at said gas station.

TBH, it just depends on where you are. Some cities are better then others.....Fort Wayne and Gary come to mind being worse.

The best advice I can give you is: Be mindful of your appearance when you OC. Shave, do your hair, don't dress like a thug, use a holster and a good belt.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just wondering if I will get hassled and have a situation where the cops will show up on a man with a gun call.

Chances are good that you will so be prepared. Of course, a lot of it has to do with location.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Just wondering if I will get hassled and have a situation where the cops will show up on a man with a gun call.

This may be interesting.

Might. It's something you need to be prepared for. But not something you need to obsess over. I've never had a cop say anything to me about it, even when standing next to them buying something. Had a couple folks ask about it, but none were confrontational. They just wanted to know why I carry a gun, and why I was OC'ing. Conversation I don't mind having in the first place.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Depending on where you are in Indiana, OC will probably range from "What the????!!!?!?!?"

to

"ho hum, no biggy"

I've been a part of the "gun culture" for almost 9 years now and have only seen OC a handful of times. (Living on the south-side of Indy, but traveling the state stem-to-stern)

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Welcome to INGO! Glad that you made it here from DC. In all of the years that I've carried both OC and CC I have never had a problem. However, I do tend to CC most of the time especially when I'm stuck in Bloomington, aka, the liberal capitol of the world. I suspect that you won't have any problems outside of the larger cities around large flocks of sheeple.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Welcome to Indiana and to INGO!

You likely won't see as much OC around here as in TN. Rural Indiana surely has more folks carrying openly, but even then it isn't a large number. Only about 6% of the population (over 18) have a LTCH.

That said, I've never been hassled. Never more than a "howdy" from LEOs. Only rarely have I gotten questions from folks, and they are either positive or just interested. Of course, I also don't visit many places that other folks have had issues (malls, for instance). Your mileage may vary....

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Kind of ironic. The only hassling I have personally seen from OCing has been from people on INGO. I could point out a lot of stuff people have said on why OCing is BAD for average Joes, but I wouldn't want to call anyone out...:D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kind of ironic. The only hassling I have personally seen from OCing has been from people on INGO. I could point out a lot of stuff people have said on why OCing is BAD for average Joes, but I wouldn't want to call anyone out...:D
    You know, you are right! I get more grief from other gun owners than from any anti-. That's either ironic or just sad.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    i OC almost all the time and I havent been hasled by the cops. But you do have to remember that theres a lot of damn yankees up here. Tennessee is in the sweet south. why the heck did you move to POS indiana? :):

The firearm laws of POS indiana are more relaxed than the firearm laws of Tennessee. (A damn yankee married to a hillbilly)

TN Mike, Welcome to Indiana - enjoy the freedom

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    In reality, the problems experienced by people who carry openly are uncommon. The people who perpetuate the myths are those who oppose open carry for whatever reason.

I've never had a problem. I've had some interesting questions, but no problems or negative encounters with police.

same here and :welcome:

TN_Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    The backside of nowhere

I moved here from Tennessee because of my job. The one I had in Tennessee was killing me and I accepted a position up here. But rest assured, we WILL be heading back to Tennessee one day.

People only report the bad, obviously. In my 10 years in Fort Wayne I have only seen OC 2-3 times (not sure if one time was an officer or not).

Welcome to Indiana, join the social experiment and post your findings :)

Are you the same TN_Mike on DC.com?

God to know about some cities being less accepting of OC than others. And YES, I am the TN_Mike from DC.com!:)

Welcome to INGO! Glad that you made it here from DC. In all of the years that I've carried both OC and CC I have never had a problem. However, I do tend to CC most of the time especially when I'm stuck in Bloomington, aka, the liberal capitol of the world. I suspect that you won't have any problems outside of the larger cities around large flocks of sheeple.

Thanks! I see there are several folks on here who are also members over at DC.com. That's great!

I have had that same experience. It does seem that some of the biggest critics of OC are fellow gun owners. I never have understood that.:rolleyes:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Welcome to INGO, welcome to Indy, and I'm glad to know we have another OCer out there! I have never had a problem and only been asked about it once at Menards while in the check out line. It was another patron of the store and he asked me what kind of gun and if it was legal. I answered his questions and that was that. Good luck with the job.

Top Bottom