• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustEm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    IN
    You have to be careful with sonic cleaners. They can be useful, but they can cause a lot of headaches. You should be aware of the material, shape of your components, length of time being cleaned. Aluminum is softer than steel so its more sensitive to the cleaning process and parts can become damaged more easily. Personally I try to keep my guns away from them as I've seen several horror stories using sonic cleaners. Sonic cleaners also tend to focus on non continuous points. Sharp edges, cracks etc. So you may get uneven cleaning depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

DustEm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    IN
    Sorry for my confusion. I still say that the chrome wasn't very good to come off with Dawn soap.
    I'll agree there chrome is one of the hardest platings available. The only thing I could see is maybe it attacked the material under the chrome, and just worked its way down the part. Needless to say this was in the sonic cleaner a VERY long time to strip it like that.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Sorry for my confusion. I still say that the chrome wasn't very good to come off with Dawn soap.
    Young manufacturing it's about ten years old, but only has around 4k on it no chrome was missing before i stuck it in there. Yeah even when I woke up and realized it had been in there all night I didn't expect this. Just Dawn dish soap 880 secs heat was on. It was in there for about 7hrs total. This was first time I stuck a gun part in it. I've only used it for brass, and atv carb once.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Needless to say this was in the sonic cleaner a VERY long time to strip it like that.
    Most sonic cleaners have a timer, so the sonic action will shut off.

Possibly the liquid in the cleaner was contaminated from previous cleanings of other objects?

I use Simple Green - SMP13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner mixed with water in my cleaner and have never had those kinds of results.

I've seen many reports of Dawn soap being very mild but I've never used it.

Last edited:

ParanoidMedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2022
    Warsaw
    Most sonic cleaners have a timer, so the sonic action will shut off.

Possibly the liquid in the cleaner was contaminated from previous cleanings of other objects?

I use Simple Green - SMP13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner mixed with water in my cleaner and have never had those kinds of results.

I've seen many reports of Dawn soap being very mild but I've never used it.
    My Harbor freight sonic cleaner runs 3 or 4 different run time, but I think Max run time is 280 seconds.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    Did you have the heat on? If you don’t turn the heat on its not as hard on the finishes. Heat is rarely needed except on super dirty stuff.

Top Bottom