• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I would agree, they are good solid guns. The modern red tang safety switch puts me off of them though.

I got over the tang safety fairly quickly... certainly much quicker than I would've gotten over the extra $2,000-$3,000 for an original in .405. :):

I do want an original one though, probably in a smaller caliber which are typically more reasonably priced.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got two 405s and a 30-40. The 1895 makes a different sound when it cycles than anything else.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I love em'! Especially the ones my Great Grandfather once held.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have a couple of Winchester rifles here. My dad will be 85 tomorrow and was looking to sell a couple of guns last year to pay some medical bills. When I found out they were talking to Rock Island, I made it clear that they were not to auction any guns off without asking family first if we were interested. He may be old, but he is pretty clear about what his guns are worth and has done his research. :laugh:

I picked up a beautiful Model 64 in 30-30 caliber that was made in 1951 for hubby's birthday. He was born that year so it seemed appropriate. I got the "family discount" but it was still close to what they were selling for on the various auction sites...but more than they would have received after Rock Island took a commission so everyone was happy with the deal.

Dad has a few other Winchester models still in his possession including a Model 94 and a couple of old single shot rifles from around 1912. He asked me last week if I was ready to do some more shopping so I am not sure just what he has in mind but I'm sure I'll find out.

One of these days I will need to take some photos of the Model 64 but hubby doesn't let me touch it so I'll have to have him get it out for me. :dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You’ve taught me well. :D

So, tell me about the 95. I know that it uses a box style magazine to fire pointy, modern bullets. That’s about it.

Great rifles and you're right, developed to use modern pointed bullets and powerful cartridges like the 30-06. The most common versions will be in 30-40, what was still the US military cartridge of the day. There are modern repros available as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Great rifles and you're right, developed to use modern pointed bullets and powerful cartridges like the 30-06. The most common versions will be in 30-40, what was still the US military cartridge of the day. There are modern repros available as well.

Some of the originals were chambered in 7.62x54R for a Russian contract. I've always thought one of those would be kind of neat to own.

The repos from 2010-11 were available in .405, .30-06, and .270 win I believe and the ones that are supposed to be released this year are available in .30-06 and .405.

Teddy Roosevelt took two 95's on his famous African safari including a .405 with which he killed a lion among other game.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This is a gun thread on INGO people. We aren’t talking about NyQuil chicken, what you cooked for breakfast, or what you’re drinking tonight.

It’s about old Winchester rifles. They made millions of them, they won the west, they killed a lot of buffalos, they’ve probably killed more deer than any other, and they even won a lot of stuffed animals at the county fair.

We have had so many people view this thread, and a few have posted, but most have not. Let’s talk about your old Winchester that you got from Grandpa, your dad, or maybe you bought it new, or picked it up off Gunbroker like I did.

If you are reading this thread, comment and add to it. It’s how we get to know one another.

There are people *****ing that we don’t talk about guns here on INGO. Here is a thread devoted to one of the most iconic American rifle Marques in history. Lever gun, pump gun, shotgun, single shot, doesn’t matter, tell us about them, show us.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    This is a gun thread on INGO people. We aren’t talking about NyQuil chicken, what you cooked for breakfast, or what you’re drinking tonight.

It’s about old Winchester rifles. They made millions of them, they won the west, they killed a lot of buffalos, they’ve probably killed more deer than any other, and they even won a lot of stuffed animals at the county fair.

We have had so many people view this thread, and a few have posted, but most have not. Let’s talk about your old Winchester that you got from Grandpa, your dad, or maybe you bought it new, or picked it up off Gunbroker like I did.

If you are reading this thread, comment and add to it. It’s how we get to know one another.

There are people *****ing that we don’t talk about guns here on INGO. Here is a thread devoted to one of the most iconic American rifle Marques in history. Lever gun, pump gun, shotgun, single shot, doesn’t matter, tell us about them, show us.

I just love history who does not love the old west heroes? You and Leadeye are sending me into the web to find out more about these rifles. The Winchester 06 has gotten my attention it’s all most has taken over my obsession with getting a new 9 mm 1911 for competition. I really enjoy reading everyone’s comments.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    IMG_1837.jpg 1957 94 30-30 99%+. Picked it up on GB years ago and was hesitant at the time bc the receiver was engraved but the price and condition got the best of me. When I got it I started to research the name and info ingraved and from what I found was this was a gift to one of our nations finest for making master sgt in 1957. He served in wwII, korea and kept going for years after. I looks like he got it in 57 and put it in the closet where he lived on the west coast and forgot about it. He passed in 2000 and I believe somebody in his family pawned it. He must have been a great guy for his buddies to do this for him. Reciever says D V Gleaves date 1957 MSGT MARS metal division. MARS stands for military auxiliary radio systems. Honored to be the caretaker of this one for sure!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The last two Winnies I have bought some here on INGO would be familiar with already as I made posts on the rebuild.

The 62 I got did fire but was an eye sore to say the least.

The 73 was in worse shape. It was made in 1880 but it didn't fire, had a homemade fore stock, missing parts and the end of the barrel was hammered on! It is now a shooter with need of one last tweaking to make it a solid usable gun.

Unfortunately I will probably have to sell the 73 to finance future projects, but I still have my 67's, 69's and the 62 as well as all my shotguns. The 12's, 24's, 25's, a few 11's, 50's and the 97's.

I did sell my 37's including the Redlettered pig tail 12ga. I tend to buy the mistreated guns at a good price and make them serviceable and in most cases down right prurdy...

Top Bottom