• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have an old Winchester Model 1890 .22Long, 2nd generation, Pump-action rifle. I thought the action was locked up, so it's been in the closet for years.

The wife is cleaning out that closet today and I saw this beauty for the first time in a couple of years. After playing with it for about 5 minutes, I figured out how to open the action. I then oiled it up and cycled it several times and it's good as new. Seems there is a safety in the hammer and the action will not cycle unless the hammer is fully down.

The question is----- the barrel is labeled "22 Long". I don't have much experience in 100 yr old firearms, but isn't 22 long a different cartridge than 22 Long Rifle?

Probably will never fire it regardless of the answer, just wanted to know. Thanks, SAM

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Too bad you are not near me, I have a couple hundered rounds of 22Long sitting on my shelf. Dont remember how I got them, and have kept them around for pest control since they are quieter than regular 22LR, almost like 22Shorts.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The ONLY difference between the .22 Long and the .22 Long Rifle ammo is the bullet.
    The Long uses the same bullet as the .22 Short and the same case as the .22 LR.
    The .22 Long was developed to boost the velocity and knock down of the .22 Short by merely lengthening the case and adding a pinch more powder.
    The Long rifle was developed to give the .22 Long shooter a heavier, and inherently more stable, bullet to shoot in the .22 Long chambered rifles.
    As long as the gun is in good working order and the action locks up tight, you should be able to shoot standard velocity .22 LR's in it all day.
    Just to be safe you might want to have a competent Gunsmith check it out before you shoot anything in it. ;)

bigbooth25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    Winchetser
    Yes @unclemike this is true. You CAN shoot Std. Velosity .22 LR in this riffle. I came across one a few years back and picked it up pretty cheap. I took it to the now infamous "Ludco's" and had them check it over and tell me what they thought of it. They checked it all out for me and cleaned and lubed it all up. He then informed me it would be cheapest to just use the Std. Velosity 22LR and ive been shooting them ever since. After alot of rust removal, some rebluing and freshing up of the stock Its now one of my favorite guns to just take out and plink with. Have fun with it.

Top Bottom