• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have two 8 pound cardboard drums of 2400 with the Hercules label. Over the years I had two big powder purchases, both were distributors going out of business.
    LOL, The only one big cardboard I have left is a 8 lb of Unique from back then, that I am currently using.
    With all the 7 & 8 and 32 Lb'ers I bought off the loading dock at Talon, I thought I have bought for a few generations.
    Some of it was 2 to 3 bucks a pound back then for pull-down, pulled 30 cal bullets for 1-2 cents a piece, punched primers by the bucket-full.
    Man, I miss those days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Two reasons for the switch to plastic containers: 1-cost, plastic is cheaper than steel.
    2-powder stored in steel cans gets contaminated with rust when the can rusts on the inside after being opened and is no longer vacuum sealed. I had a 1 pound can of imr 4064 I received from the widow of a friend. It was still 90% full but humidity had caused rust spots all over the inside of the can which left powdered rust throughout the gunpowder.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I went through a few of the GOEX FFG cans, still have one can that I bought, maybe in the 90s.

I also still have the DIY pouring spout I made with an empty 556 shell with the bottom cut off and soldered to one of the metal lids with a matching hole in that. You screwed on the spout lid at the range so you could pour out of your can into your powder measure.

Top Bottom