• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My neighbor just put one together from a kit from sportsmanship guide. It was on sale, no lower and no barrel. He found a new barrel and used an Anderson lower. The parts were a little rough on finish but it shoots great. If the ones AK builder has look that good, I would go that rout. Barrel already there. Then get the old style lower from nodak and there ya go. The kits should have mostly all orig colt parts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wonder if it is possible to find a barrel and period-correct lower at a gun show? I will give it a try and if not, I'll order from the sites provided.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I saw barrels like that at the 1500 last time, but they were higher then a new one. The only ways to get an old style lower is to find an old sp1 lower or get one from nodak spud. I think the nodak lowers are around $160 and have limited markings so you can have the original colt markings engraved on them.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    ar15.com has a whole section on these but the easiest way is to go to http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ and research what you want to build. These kits that you see are an M-16A1. That is the easiest one to build. Once you know what you want, NoDak Spud Retro Lowers is where you get the correct style of lower.
    The hard core retro guys will want to have just the right cut on the mag release, or the center holes in the take down pins, the drain hole in the butt stock screw on certain ones, etc....... I don't go quite that far.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    If a person wants to assemble real A1 style rifles he should consider going to Indiana Army Surplus in Bedford. I recently built one and was able to acquire actual period components for most of the rifle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If a person wants to assemble real A1 style rifles he should consider going to Indiana Army Surplus in Bedford. I recently built one and was able to acquire actual period components for most of the rifle.

Do you think you can build it through them for close to the package from Sportsman's Guide? I don't live far from Bedford.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Do you think you can build it through them for close to the package from Sportsman's Guide? I don't live far from Bedford.

Let me say this. I'm close with Troy and Kelly and they pretty much let me have the run of the place. That said, a standard Colt upper parts kit is $140. I paid $40 for all USGI parts from A1 rifles. My price might not be everyone's price, but if it was twice as much it would still be a steal. If you would like to choose the parts yourself they are cool with that as well. The last rifle I put together I was wanting a roughened look so I sorted through stuff and chose a dust cover, charging handle flash hider and bolt release that all had a good bit of finish removed. There were lots of parts available not as worked in as those, though.

Another et great thing about having access to so many USGI parts is that if you have a rifle that is getting finicky, you can swap in some older parts that loosen it a bit. I recently bought a couple new NiB bolts that had unrelenting springs on the ejector and extractor. I called down and Troy sent me two ancient springs with a lot more give. The bolt runs flawlessly after the swap.

Top Bottom