• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I am from Hammond, IN to be exact. I am kind of tired of being upset that I can't drive 100 miles to go to every INGO open carry event. So, for all you nothwesterners, here is what I propose. How about, instead of being upset that we cannot go to Indy at the drop of a hat, lets do our own OC lunch? I'm sure its a jolly good time, and dangit I want in on it! :D

Anyone interested can pm me so we can get something rolling.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Tried to do it in the past here, never worked out.

However we turned out 9 OC'ers at cabelas yesterday. I'd have posted it here but I didn't realize it until a few hours before hand.

I'm always down for an OC meeting. I like Cabelas but their food is expensive and, quite honestly, not that good. Their fudge rocks and we always buy atleast a pound everytime we visit.

Cabelas is strong pro carry establishment, so a big +1 there. I've OC'ed in most restaraunts in our area (I live within a mile of cabelas) so it all depends on what you've got in mind.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am from Hammond, IN to be exact. I am kind of tired of being upset that I can't drive 100 miles to go to every INGO open carry event. So, for all you nothwesterners, here is what I propose. How about, instead of being upset that we cannot go to Indy at the drop of a hat, lets do our own OC lunch?
    Tried to do it in the past here, never worked out.
    I think because we don't seem to have a lot of Lake County members??? Seems like most of the folks here are from the general area in/around Indianapolis and the surrounding counties.

However we turned out 9 OC'ers at cabelas yesterday.
    . . .
    Cabelas is strong pro carry establishment, so a big +1 there. I've OC'ed in most restaraunts in our area . . .
    One downside to doing an OC at Cabelas is that it is "normal" to see guns inside the store.

My personal opinion is that OC events should be done at places where customers do not normally expect to see OC. Perhaps someplace like the Big Wheel on Indianapolis (is that restaurant still there) just north of the 94 interchange. The reason I believe the OC events should be held in normally 'non gun' places is because we can expose more people to the fact that we are normal people. Heck if you think about it, Starbucks is probably a good place to have an OC event because the soccer moms will probably all be in a panic, but if we present ourselves well then we may actually gain a bit more respect and it would be exposure to OC at places, and to people, that don't normally see OC.

Just my :twocents:

I'd be up for a weekday lunch. Weekends are harder for me because of family activities.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    I would be down for this. I can also try and convince my girlfriend to open carry, that idea usually doesn't sit too well with her but its worth a shot.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    One downside to doing an OC at Cabelas is that it is "normal" to see guns inside the store.

My personal opinion is that OC events should be done at places where customers do not normally expect to see OC.

Good points. Cabelas was suggested because for 2 or 3 of the people who OC'd it was their "first time".

I've been to the wheel once for breakfast (don't recall if I oc'ed), pretty good food, but I was starved, lol.

Now Sophia's is a great local place for breakfast or lunch. Definitely never seen anyone OC in there, lol. Texas corral has some great lunch specials, during the week anyway don't know about weekends. We definately aren't lacking ideas in this area.

Whatever everyone wants to do. I'm game for just about anywhere.

Keep in mind a 'back up location' in case one establishment decides to ask us to leave.

With the exception of sophias I'm pretty sure I've oc'ed at virtually every restaraunt from I80 south to rt 30.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Okay so what do we think about maybe a saturday breakfast? I know melensdad has problems with weekends, but maybe we could get it in before his family engagements.

Quote- m9hoosier "I would be down for this. I can also try and convince my girlfriend to open carry, that idea usually doesn't sit too well with her but its worth a shot."

My fiancee does not carry and she will be there, so OC or not shes welcome of course.

Quote- turnandshoot4 "I'd be in for sure. As long as I don't work or it's not 4am (bow season) I will do my darndest to get there."

Do you work saturday mornings?

Only problem? I only have 3 OCers and 2 not so much, so tell your friends we have something brewing!

I was also thinking maybe we could log some range time in somewhere after breakfast (if thats what we decide on) More than likely I will regardless.

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I can be there on a Sat morning. I could probibly round up a few buddies as well. This Saturday? Location? I am from the southern end of NWI but I am willing to drive.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    IHOP? We could meet up at IHOP on 65 and 30, that way if we are asked to leave we can go to culvers or one of the restaurants around there. Any one else have any ideas on where to go? Prometheus? Care to chime in on a location?

And, how many bodies do we have? I would like 10 or more people if possible, but if we can't do it, oh well no big deal.

So far, I have: Me (OC), fiancee (non carry), one of my buddies(possible), Prometheus, Mrs. Prometheus, Turn and Shoot +1 that makes 7 now.

Im not sure about M9Hoosier, waiting on a response.

:ar15:

ETA: Everone check your PM box.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Saturday morning would be good for me and the IHOP would be good. Put me on track to go to Jasper Pulaski after breakfast and put some lead down range. My wife loves breakfast so count her down as another OC'er as well.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Oh dude, thats awesome. Would you mind showing me and the Old lady where this range is at? I want to find somewhere new; I like Debs, but I want options.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh dude, thats awesome. Would you mind showing me and the Old lady where this range is at? I want to find somewhere new; I like Debs, but I want options.

It's a bit of a drive from us. 62 miles or so one way, lol.

Two ways to go. Across 80 to 249, south on 249 to rt 30, east on 30 about a mile or two and then south 10 miles or so... or south on I65 to rt 8 and west for a long time, lol. Sorry only been to this range 2 or 3 times and I was on GPS brain dead mode each time.
    DNR - Division of Fish & Wildlife: Jasper-Pulaski
    Google Maps

Previously I had always went to willow slough (or la salle before they closed it) and willow is a strait shot south on 41. About 44 miles south of cabelas. They have a serious range nazi down there and I've given up on it. Nice facility, but the gestapo stuff is insane.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe another day when I plan for the gas! That sucks, guess for now Deb's it is!
    No kidding about the gas. Good news is that with gas down to 3 bucks a gallon a trip out there now saves me about 8 bucks in the trailblazer, lol.

When I moved up here in 2002 it was 1.29 a gallon and I drove a 28 MPG highway Intrepid. I could drive to wllow slough of la salle for about the same price as going to debs for one hour, lol.

I hate what our government has done to the value of the dollar. :xmad:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Gas at the Flying J is $2.92 right now at the Lowell exit. If you go one more exit south you are on 10. Take a left. Go straight until it T's. Turn right. Go 1/4 mile then turn left at power station. Range is on your left in 3 miles and check in station (you must sign in before shooting so we can keep it open) is 1 more mile down.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Okay, so now I believe we have something set up. 9:30 am at the IHOP at I-65 and Rt. 30. If we are asked to leave, we can run a mile or two down to round the clock, I suppose. Any other options? I guess there is White castle around there too, so if all else fails, hah.

I will send messages thursday night or friday morning on how to find me. (besides the sidearm)

Top Bottom