• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    not a bad idea at all. as always just pick pistols that you're comfortable with. for me it's a Glock 19 for winter and KelTec PF9 for summer. the Ruger and Kahr would be great picks if they're the guns you like!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Well my other pistols im not as crazy about. Just my 1911. I mean, I dont go around throwing them on the ground or anything but the 1911 gets stripped and cleaned after every day of shooting. I just think its the 1911 bug on them. I keep going back to the SR9C. Thinking of getting the SR9C for the winter carry and maybe a kahr for summer. How bad of an idea is this?

I think switching between 2 guns with distinctly different triggers and several other more subtle differences is a really bad idea.

I also am not a fan of sub-compact guns, like the SR9C. See here for an explanation:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ni_glock_or_xd_sub_compact-3.html#post1283503

I will note that the SR9c's grip is nearly 1/2 inch longer than the Glock 26 I used to own, though still almost 1/2 inch shorter than my G19 - if you have small hands, you might get all three fingers on the grip. That does not offset the downside of a sub 4" barrel though.
    Looking further at the SR9c, its slide thikcness and grip thickness are just a bit more than a 1911 (especially if you have thin grips on the 1911). It is about the same width as a Glock as well. So the gun really does not qualify as thin.

Finally, since your concern with carrying your 1911 seems to be how pretty it is versus how many rounds it holds, I suspect a gun of a similar thickness with a similar capacity would probably be just fine.

So, I would say the Kahr is going to be the winner in this face off. Specifically, I would look at the TP series. Even the largest model (TP45) is just over 1 inch thick and holds 7+1 rounds of .45. Each caliber down, gets a little thinner and a little less grip height. The 9 MM version capacity is 8+1.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Like one member suggested is to look at the Taurus 709 slim, but since it's a low capacity 9mm, you might look at the Taurus 800 series, (809-9mm, 840-.40, 845-.45).
    All three are the same footprint and have high capacity. They also have compact models also.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I think switching between 2 guns with distinctly different triggers and several other more subtle differences is a really bad idea.quote]

Why is switching between two guns a bad idea? If you are comfortable and know the nuances of each, differences are a moot point. Your body becomes programmed to using either one. If switching between two different style guns was a bad idea, then pocket BUG's would not be as popular as they are and everyone would carry two full-size guns, two compacts that are identical, etc.

Maybe you don't shoot yours enough to be comfortable.:twocents:

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a kahr mk9 and love it, its my EDC. It conceals very easily on me and Im a skinny guy too. It is a slim gun, and with the magazine extender on it fits my hand very well, with the flush mount mag i have to put my pinky under the gun.

The trigger is something to get used to if youre coming from a 1911 tho.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    If you like the 1911 platform, and yours is to pretty for you to want to carry it, get a cheaper, ugly one for carry use. The RIA 1911 is a fantastic firearm, accurate and reliable, available for less than $400. I love them dearly, but aside from the inherently gorgeous lines of the design, the gun really can't be described as pretty. It's a working gun, and would serve you well. The Tactical models have a few extra goodies, only cost a few bucks more, and are well worth the extra money, IMHO. They also have a compact model that should make a heck of a carry gun, though I've not shot one of the compacts.
    ^^^^^

I think this is great advice. The RIA Compact looks like a hard-working gun. I have the Springfield Champion 1911 which I think is a little bigger, and it's still good to conceal and good to shoot.

samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I can't say enough about the keltec P3AT or the Ruger LCP. I'm a "skinny white boy", and there is just NO WAY I could possibly conceal my XD40 (and it's a sub-compact). I have both the ruger LCP and the P3AT, and both are primo CC weapons. I prefer the pocket holsters - they make it look like a wallet in the pocket. Sure, not the punch of a .40, but I wouldn't want to mess with a .380 (or 6!)

Good Luck

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have seen skinny guys conceal a Glock 19, well. You just have to be willing to adjust your wardrobe to slightly baggier clothes, and a good IWB holster.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Not a big guy myself, runners build. For me it comes down to the holster and belt. Sparks SS2 or VM2 make the 1911 very concealable and comfortable. Try various rigs and I am sure you can find one that works well for you. As for carrying it because it is too "pretty"...If you shoot it well and it is reliable it should be your go to gun. Nothing wrong with "honest" wear on a gun!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Trying being 5'10" and about 150 with a swimmers build. I can still conceal my .357 (5" Barrel, Model 60) if need be, but most of the time I don't even worry about it and OC. A good portion of it is the combination of clothing and holster.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    I have seen skinny guys conceal a Glock 19, well. You just have to be willing to adjust your wardrobe to slightly baggier clothes, and a good IWB holster.

^^^^^^^
    I agree. All you need is slightly larger shirts and that isn't too hard to get used to.

Personally I have a hard time justifying carrying a P3AT or a LCP since the PF9 is so small as it is. A good IWB and it just disappears. Same could be said for the Kahr PM9. I would save the tiny .380's for BUGs/ankle carry or when you just can't possibly conceal with IWB. Just my :twocents:

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    look for a smith and wesson 3914 its a 9mm the grips were small i got rid of it it was too small for my hands or a smith and wesson airweight in .38 special if you want a six shooter both are kinda cheap

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Why is switching between two guns a bad idea? If you are comfortable and know the nuances of each, differences are a moot point.

Simply not true. There is no such thing as a moot point in a in fight.

Your body becomes programmed to using either one.

If you do not practice under stress, then you have no idea how your body will react if you pull out one gun and your muscle memory thinks you have the other.

If switching between two different style guns was a bad idea, then pocket BUG's would not be as popular as they are and everyone would carry two full-size guns, two compacts that are identical, etc.

This is an irrelevant argument. Switching between two primary carry guns is simply not the same as carrying a back-up. Never mind there are plenty of folks who deliberately (and correctly) choose a BUG with similar ergonomics (Glock 22 and 27 for example). Never mind having two guns requires two holsters, extra accessories...all of which cost money better spent on practice ammo.

Maybe you don't shoot yours enough to be comfortable.:twocents:

Between 500 and 1000 round per month, plus coach a pistol team on top that.

Regardless, the rationale for using the same carry pistol as often as possible is sound. Needless complications get people killed.

Top Bottom