• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    So here is the problem.:rolleyes: I have been looking at every gun that is withing 20 miles of me and i find some I like and some I dont like but the main issue is for CC. I am 6'4 and weigh 170lbs. I'm skinny as the day is long and its very hard for me to find a gun for CC. I dont like Glocks(although I haven't shot them all and im sure that one would probly fit me well if I looked). They dont fit my hand. I have been shooting my 1911 and large frame revolvers. I like a skinny grip that has some weight to it. Mainly Im asking for those out there that have the same issue what handgun did you choose? I always carry IWB as Im to skinny to do otherwise. Thanks for the help.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd say that you can carry pretty much whatever you want, but you have to find the right holster. I had a hard time concealing my FNX-9, but once I got a raven, I can wear pretty much anything and it's concealable if I want it to be.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I forgot to add that for some reason and I know this is unneeded. But high capacity really catches my eye. I know at the end of this I will more than likely buy a low capacity gun simply due to carry issues but like I said with the 1911's and revolvers I also want something HC. Which adds to my problem lol.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Colt LW Commander, or equivalent. You may just need to alter your style of dress a little bit. I've seen very petite men and women carry full sized 1911s if dressed appropriately. :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Since you want hi capacity, you might want to check out the Ruger SR9 and SR9c. Very skinny guns, the full size gives you 17 rounds, the compact gives you a 10 round mag in the gun, and a 17 round backup.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    yeah, the sr9c felt really good in the hand but I have heard some gossip about a trigger recall or something. didnt know anything about it but didnt give it too much of my mind since I have always felt Ruger to be a sound company. And as for the Kahr, I have heard many good things about but do they make any HC guns that will fit with my body type. and my clothing style is nothing baggy. I dont wear long shirts or loose pants. I can CC my 1911 quite well if I go IWB placed in the small of my back but sitting looks like my spine is sticking 4 inches out.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    I'm also skinny but not as tall. I've found that a keltec pf9 fits my frame well carried IWB. I'm much more partial to others like my Glock 23 but for summer carry it is very hard to conceal. I would definitely take a look at the M&P subcompacts as well as the XD subcompacts. I've found that people who generally dislike the Glock grip find the the XD or M&P grip much more comfortable. Also if you enjoy shooting 1911's there are many compact 1911's to choose from. Perhaps the Para Carry's or the Springfield EMP's. It is really more of a choice on the your budget with the 1911's. I'm kinda partial to the Para Warthog's since they're available in several calibers and have a higher capacity since they're double stack. And if none of those strike your fancy then maybe a revolver would be a good place to look? I've always had a thing for the Smith and Wesson Airweights like the 442. :) Hope that gives you a couple more places to look! Happy hunting! :D

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    hehe that would solve a lot of issues but the law enforcement around here are already out looking for fights. Id rather not give them ammo. Also I live about 15 miles as the crow flies from Lousiville Ky. Im over there a lot and there seems to be something they love about catching them some Indiana boys. CC for me. I OC when i hunt...of course im hunting with the pistol so that makes things a bit easier.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I think what stops me the most is how particular I am about things. I dont like to carry my 1911 due to i will cry if I scratch it. I think im going to check out the SR9C again and see if that feels like the one. That or a small single stack gun. Thank you for your help, The feedback was very useful!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I think what stops me the most is how particular I am about things. I dont like to carry my 1911 due to i will cry if I scratch it. I think im going to check out the SR9C again and see if that feels like the one. That or a small single stack gun. Thank you for your help, The feedback was very useful!

True, you have to remember your EDC is a tool, and should be treated as such. You want to take the best care of it you can but you can't worry about it not looking perfect. You can't afford second guessing yourself if you need it. No time for "well I don't want to scratch it."

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    True, you have to remember your EDC is a tool, and should be treated as such. You want to take the best care of it you can but you can't worry about it not looking perfect. You can't afford second guessing yourself if you need it. No time for "well I don't want to scratch it."

This is actually why I sold my Model 64 back to the person I'd bought it from. It was so pretty I was constantly fiddling with it and worrying about it getting knocks and dings. Not a good thing to be obsessed with the looks of a carry weapon!

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    Well my other pistols im not as crazy about. Just my 1911. I mean, I dont go around throwing them on the ground or anything but the 1911 gets stripped and cleaned after every day of shooting. I just think its the 1911 bug on them. I keep going back to the SR9C. Thinking of getting the SR9C for the winter carry and maybe a kahr for summer. How bad of an idea is this?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you like the 1911 platform, and yours is to pretty for you to want to carry it, get a cheaper, ugly one for carry use. The RIA 1911 is a fantastic firearm, accurate and reliable, available for less than $400. I love them dearly, but aside from the inherently gorgeous lines of the design, the gun really can't be described as pretty. It's a working gun, and would serve you well. The Tactical models have a few extra goodies, only cost a few bucks more, and are well worth the extra money, IMHO. They also have a compact model that should make a heck of a carry gun, though I've not shot one of the compacts.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    try a Ruger SR9C,Taurus 709 slim,LCP,Kahr ,or get you a crossbreed holster and whatever gun you want! Im 5-10 and 225 so everything I carry prints easily. I got my crossbreed and now carry a 1911 full size Colt series 80 and you cant even tell! My brother is 6-2 and a skinny guy like you said and he carries a full size Sig in a Crossbreed with no problem! Check them out.

Top Bottom