• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have several oil lamps and keep some lamp oil on hand.But I have been seeing vegetable/olive oil lamps and had a though. Why wouldnt a regular lamp burn this? So I try olive oil.Yes it burns,but it will not pull the oil through the wick,and soon burns out.Then vegetable oil, same thing...they are just to thick.On a side note, neither oil has any smell...at all. So I decide to thin the oils down. I try alcohol(90% Rubbing),well it worked kind of.Still not pulling through the wick fast enough and requires a very full lamp. Still wanting this to work I try coleman fuel.WARNING to not exceed more than a 40% mix. It will burn in flashes as the fuel wicks up very quickly. But at 1/3 coleman and 2/3 vegetable oil it is a perfect flame with no smell and no smoke.
    Here is a link to make your own oil lamp.
    Homemade Vegetable Oil Lamp - JOTW
    But I wanted a way to use oil in standard lamps that was relatively cheap compared to buying "lamp oil". I will be making a few of the lamps like those on the site.And they have some other good information on that site as well.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    My Mom's generation (grew up in the Great Depression) called them "Coal Oil Lamps" which in that era meant roughly what we now know as clear, un-dyed K-1 Kerosene. There is a great deal of difference between the "Lamp Oil" sold in stores nowadays and kerosene. The commercial lamp oil I've purchased is basically a paraffin. It will turn into an absolute solid at close to freezing temps and is very pricey. Kerosene will remain a liquid at much lower temps. Better still may be "Low Odor Mineral Spirits." It is less smelly than kerosene and does not precipitate paraffin at lower temps. This may be the best alternative. It is fairly inexpensive compared to the commercial lamp oil, though more expensive than kerosene. But still, for a lamp, not a bad deal considering you won't burn gallons of the stuff at a time.

The price considerations for burning anything also depend on what it does to the wick. If something is cheap, burns well, but destroys your wick, it's really not saving you much money since a good wick is usually not cheap. Adding rubbing alcohol may lead to faster wick consumption. It's also critical to avoid moisture contamination of the fuel since this will immediately destroy a good wick.

Here's a link to a very detailed analysis of various fuels in wicked lamps and heaters.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Do you have a Dietz type or an Aladdin type? I'll have to try the deodorized mineral spirits in my Aladdin.

Top Bottom