• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Was ocing at texas corral in portage, was planning on getting a Pepsi, Buffalo wings for an appetizer and they had a special I wanted to. Then the waitress tells me about the half off margaritas and how good they were so I decide ill try one. Well it made the managar "uncomfortable", so I had only my drink and my friends drink ordered at this time.

Now ive ocd here tons of times mostly because they have half off for military so this has kinda been my go to spot for a long time. Manager politely says "im sure you have a license to carry that but I feel uncomfortable since you have a an alcoholic beverage can u please put it in the car." So I said no thank you I would rather just leave he said thats fine ill cover the expenses. I insisted on paying what I owed and he said no. So as I was leaving I figured the waitress was nice so I should tip her, not her fault she shouldn't miss out on her tip.

So I handed her a $10 bill and said thank you but we have to go and she asked why. I told her her manager didn't want us with our guns and she said why your cops, I said no just law abiding citizens with licenses to carry handguns. And she said oh well thats fine I dont see why you can't stay, she took the 10 and said let me get you some change and said no thanks thats all for you. The managar saw this and it appeared to me that he looked remorseful as I walked out. Went right to the chinese place I go to from time to time that is in the same plaza and very 2a friendly.
    Not a big deal just sharing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Was ocing at texas corral in portage, was planning on getting a Pepsi, Buffalo wings for an appetizer and they had a special I wanted to. Then the waitress tells me about the half off margaritas and how good they were so I decide ill try one. Well it made the managar "uncomfortable", so I had only my drink and my friends drink ordered at this time.

Now ive ocd here tons of times mostly because they have half off for military so this has kinda been my go to spot for a long time. Manager politely says "im sure you have a license to carry that but I feel uncomfortable since you have a an alcoholic beverage can u please put it in the car." So I said no thank you I would rather just leave he said thats fine ill cover the expenses. I insisted on paying what I owed and he said no. So as I was leaving I figured the waitress was nice so I should tip her, not her fault she shouldn't miss out on her tip.

So I handed her a $10 bill and said thank you but we have to go and she asked why. I told her her manager didn't want us with our guns and she said why your cops, I said no just law abiding citizens with licenses to carry handguns. And she said oh well thats fine I dont see why you can't stay, she took the 10 and said let me get you some change and said no thanks thats all for you. The managar saw this and it appeared to me that he looked remorseful as I walked out. Went right to the chinese place I go to from time to time that is in the same plaza and very 2a friendly.

How was the manager non-2A friendly? I think his actions were appropriate for a business owner. He had ZERO issue with you carrying, until the introduction of alcohol. I wouldn't exactly take a shine to having my family around a person who is mixing guns and alcohol.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Dan - You should follow up with Texas Coral corporate and check on their policy. Was the manager acting contrary to their own policy? If he was you should get it in writing. Show it to him next time.

Drinking and carrying is not illegal in Indiana. Each person is different and is responsible for their own actions. Whether I would feel "comfortable" around someone who is drinking would depend on his behavior, not his carrying.

The majority of people in the place are drinking. Is their behavior a concern?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

The good news is you ended up at the Great Wall. Good food.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Never said they weren't 2a friendly. As I said i used to go there all the time. And since I oc everywhere I go, ive been there numerous times ocing, nor did I bash them for not wanting me in there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dan - You should follow up with Texas Coral corporate and check on their policy. Was the manager acting contrary to their own policy? If he was you should get it in writing. Show it to him next time.

Drinking and carrying is not illegal in Indiana. Each person is different and is responsible for their own actions. Whether I would feel "comfortable" around someone who is drinking would depend on his behavior, not his carrying.

The majority of people in the place are drinking. Is their behavior a concern?

IMO, that's an epically bad idea. The manager IS gun friendly; he's just not guns combined with booze friendly. That call, if the manager is able to have say one way or the other with regards to firearms, may do more harm than good. OC'ers don't bother me but a establishment that condones people that carry also drinking alcohol is a place I wouldn't frequent.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I think Kutnupe is probably hitting the nail on the head here. Seems to me he was very reasonable until you decided to do something that made him think twice about your judgement. I think most folks would find it reasonable that you need to hold yourself to a higher standard when you are carrying, OC or CC, and drinking probably shouldn't be mixed into that scenario.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good job on not stiffing the server. You handled that awesomely.

I can understand why the manager might be uncomfy. Depending on how good/generous the bartender is, you could be getting more alcohol than you should while carrying in his eyes. Not saying he was right, but who knows what trouble he has seen in the past from drunks with guns. He probably assumed it was best to stop you before rather than try to cut you off after your presumed 2nd or 3rd when you could possibly be unreasonable.

Maybe the lawyers/LEOs can refresh my memory... isnt carrying while drinking treated the same as drinking and driving in Indiana? (you can drink and carry as long as you wont blow a .08) I could be thinking of my Utah permit class, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Myself, I wont have more than a single run of the mill domestic if I am carrying. And definitely not an IPA or Russian Imperial (8-10% ABV). As much as I LOOOOVE my beer, I typically will avoid alcohol completely when carrying, but thats just me.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Soooo......you drove your car there, right? I wonder if Mr Manager objects to selling alcohol to his customers that drive? Does that make him " uncomfortable"? I find a certain amount of hypocrisy in Mr. Managers comment, and that of several posters up thread. So it's zero tolerance for alcohol and firearms, but under .08 bac and an automobile is cool?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Never said they weren't 2a friendly. As I said i used to go there all the time. And since I oc everywhere I go, ive been there numerous times ocing, nor did I bash them for not wanting me in there.

Are you planning on going back to the Texas Corral? If so will you stick with the Pepsi next time?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Soooo......you drove your car there, right? I wonder if Mr Manager objects to selling alcohol to his customers that drive? Does that make him " uncomfortable"? I find a certain amount of hypocrisy in Mr. Managers comment, and that of several posters up thread. So it's zero tolerance for alcohol and firearms, but under .08 bac and an automobile is cool?

Exactly. because the havoc you cause will NOT be in his establishment, so therefore its all good!

Then again, (devils advocate) he did offer to allow you to take your gun to the car so you could be served. I can see in his mind its the equivalent of not allowing you to cruise around the parking lot in your car swilling your margarita. (yes, I know, forget the open container issue for this example) After all, while you COULD exceed BAC to drive while sitting in his restaurant, you arent a problem since you arent behind the wheel yet. By the time you needed to drive you would have sobered up or called a cab. Not possible in his mind if you still had your piece on you because you would be "drunk-carrying", not "I WAS legally impared but by the time I got to the car I wasnt any longer".

Last edited:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I think Kutnupe is probably hitting the nail on the head here. Seems to me he was very reasonable until you decided to do something that made him think twice about your judgement. I think most folks would find it reasonable that you need to hold yourself to a higher standard when you are carrying, OC or CC, and drinking probably shouldn't be mixed into that scenario.
    If they're that worried about what people might, or might not do with alcohol in their bloodstream, they shouldn't be serving it!!
    everyone in that restaurant am sure drove a vehicle there. Maybe he should of cut everyone off. More people die from drinking and driving then drinking and OC'ing!! IMO,

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Not sure if srs? lol

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Maybe the lawyers/LEOs can refresh my memory... isnt carrying while drinking treated the same as drinking and driving in Indiana? (you can drink and carry as long as you wont blow a .08) I could be thinking of my Utah permit class, so please correct me if I am wrong.

IANAL, however, there is nothing in Indiana code in reference to drinking while carrying. The initial bill had a .08 threshold and was the very last thing in the bill. When it passed and was signed, that section did not appear. I'm not sure what happened, but there are copies of the initial bill on the internet WITH the alcohol threshold. But it never made it into the code.

It's amazing: The government left common sense up to the law abiding citizen, and the blood isn't flowing in the streets! I won't hesitate to have a beer with dinner. BUT THAT's IT! The government has allowed us to set our own reasonable limits. WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN CONDUCT. (Emphasis, not yelling, lol!) The public perception of drinking while openly armed is another matter and again, we all make our own decisions.

Remember, you don't have to break the law to end up in front of ISP explaining your actions. Do not confuse law enforcement with administrative enforcement against your LTCH.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If they're that worried about what people might, or might not do with alcohol in their bloodstream, they shouldn't be serving it!!
    everyone in that restaurant am sure drove a vehicle there. Maybe he should of cut everyone off. More people die from drinking and driving then drinking and OC'ing!! IMO,

FAIL

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Manager has to walk a fine line with alcohol to serve as a money maker. In defense of the manager, he has to balance the gun and alcohol inside the restaurant with/to the customers while having customers drinking and leaving in a vehicle with a BAC of ... Not a job I would like to have.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I was thinking the same thing. Does he hold the same conviction serving drinks knowing folks will ger in their cars and drive intoxicated?

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Manager has to walk a fine line with alcohol to serve as a money maker. In defense of the manager, he has to balance the gun and alcohol inside the restaurant with/to the customers while having customers drinking and leaving in a vehicle with a BAC of ... Not a job I would like to have.
    My wife has been a manager, general manager, Director of Operations for 20 yrs. If the OP looked or was acting in a way that could of been seen as a problem, by all means do not sell him any liqueur. But if all we have to go by is what he stated here, the manager was being a ****! IMO!!

Top Bottom