• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I live real close to the Riverwalk in Mishawaka. Some of you may know that I'm currently going through a divorce. I have 50/50 shared custody of my children. They are with me for a week at a time, every other week. They really like walking along the riverwalk and playing at the parks nearby. Most of you know that I almost always OC.

This past Sunday, I took my children for a walk and we wound up at the park on the western most portion of the Riverwalk, but on the north side of the river. (The name of the park escapes me.) I was running around with my kids playing tag. We were climbing on the equipment and ducking around.. just having a good ol' time.

I had an instance last fall chasing my daughter around at a park, attempted to follow her down a slide to tag her and my gun got caught on the slide and almost jacked up my holster/belt so during this most recent excursion, I made sure to put my hand over it when climbing on the equipment etc. so as not to snag it.

Fast forward about an hour and a half.

My kids and I are walking along the north side of the river on the sidewalk. I'm carrying my 4 yr old daughter (who is just wore out and trying to fall asleep on my shoulder) when 2 Mishawaka squad cars roll up from behind.

<officer>: (looks over, uses his index finger and folds it a couple time in the 'come here' motion)

I check for traffic, and approach the car w/ my kids at my side, and one on my shoulder

<me>: how's it going officer ? Something I can help you with ?
    <officer>: I see you're carrying a pistol.
    <me>: yessir
    <officer>: do you have a permit ?
    - for a second, I thought about educating him on the INGO acronyms, but he was being cool, so I didn't want to make things worse w/ my kids present (use purple if you can find the button)
    <me>: oh absolutely.
    <officer>: ok. That's good. you see, I'm all for this right here (as he motions towards my sidearm) and in Indiana you can carry however you want. They don't require you to cover it or anything so it's your choice how you carry.
    <me>: yessir. I understand.
    <officer>: There were a couple parents that saw you at the park playing with your kids and said your gun was flopping around and you were holding onto it like you were worried that it was gonna fall off.

- in hindsight, what I did next was kinda stupid, but fortunately, I didn't get a reaction from him or his backup)

<me>: as you can see (grab the rear of the slide on my holstered sidearm and tug very hard pulling upward) it's very secure in the holster sir. I had an incident before where it got caught on some equipment and I was wanting to be mindful so that it didn't happen again. I assure you, I wasn't fondling it, or removing it from the holster. (when I tugged on it, it pulled my pants WAY up, and I pushed on it and took some force to push down on it. It was very secure in the holster and on my person)

<officer>: well, as you can imagine, when some folks see others carrying, they get scared and call us to come check it out. Now I know it's your choice to carry how you want, but if you were to un-tuck your shirt and cover it, it would help cut down on calls to us for stuff like this.
    <me>: yessir, I understand. Is there anything else I can help you with ?
    <officer>: nope. you're free to go.

Then he said to my kids "you guys be careful, and enjoy your day with your dad, ok ?"

Then as we turned to walk away, my oldest son (11) asked why he stopped us for me carrying my gun.. I thought for a second becuase I was still within earshot of the officer, and could have offered a snide remark had the encounter been negative, but since it was decent enough, I said loud enough for him to hear me "he was just checking to make sure everyone is safe and things are ok"

I hope that helped him feel decent about the encounter. I know that a MWAG call, and seeing a scary dude in a tucked in polo shirt w/ khaki shorts and 3 kids walking along a sidewalk can be a tense situation. I hope I left a decent impression on my kids as to how I handled the situation.

+1 to the Mishawaka officer (who's name I did not get) for:
    1. not requiring my 'papers'
    2. stopping further questioning after 'verbal' mention of LTCH (even though he did call it a permit)
    3. making certain to let me know that he was aware of the law and of Indiana's position on carrying (open/concealed = silent)
    4. keeping his jack boots in his own vehicle
    5. not making me out to be some demon/monstser in front of my kids.

my kids all know about guns, safety, self defense, and the like and they know I follow the law, and that I'm someone they look up to when it comes to my firearms. My 11 yr old was REALLY paying attention when the officer and i were talking. I hope I left him w/ a good impression. We did talk quite a bit about the conversation. He wanted to know why I got questioned if I wasn't doing anything illegal. I explained the fearful soccer mom thing to him and he thought it was ridiculous.

Please, no OC/CC debate, but feel free to discuss.

For the record, a shirt over my gun would still not prevent it from getting caught on the equipment. I play w/ my children w/ a gun on my hip at home as well and sometimes they use it as a step to climb on my shoulders while we're rough housing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Glad to hear about the positive interaction. As the dad of a young daughter I've been down my share of slides too, so I know all about the danger of snagging your holster on the playground equipment.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The officer didn't freak oot when you reached down to tug on your holstered weapon? I would have told him what I was going to do first. Other that that, well done sir.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Battell park. About 4 minutes from my place.

Glad to know all went well. The only time I've encountered the MPD on official business was when some jacka$$ got his truck stuck in my back yard. He buried it in mud that used to be my grass. I called the police. Two officers showed up. I had forgot the I was even OCing my Springfieldld 5.25. We went through the whole situation and when they were leaving, he asked what I was carrying. I told him (not showed him). He said he had read about them and wanted to try one out.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've had zero issues with Mishawaka Police. They appear to have been trained on the proper way to approach a MWAG call. Glad you weren't at Powatomi Park; don't think the South Bend Police would have been so pleasant.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The office didn't freak oot when you reached down to tug on your holstered weapon? I would have told him what I was going to do first. Other that that, well done sir.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP's post. I would have let the officers know what I was about to do.

Battell park. About 4 minutes from my place.

Glad to know all went well. The only time I've encountered the MPD on official business was when some jacka$$ got his truck stuck in my back yard. He buried it in mud that used to be my grass. I called the police. Two officers showed up. I had forgot the I was even OCing my Springfieldld 5.25. We went through the whole situation and when they were leaving, he asked what I was carrying. I told him (not showed him). He said he had read about them and wanted to try one out.

I would have offered to have him meet me at Kodiak or Midwest and let him shoot. BTW what happen to the Jackwagon in your back yard?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The office didn't freak oot when you reached down to tug on your holstered weapon? I would have told him what I was going to do first. Other that that, well done sir.

No, he didn't freak out. Like I mentioned, in hindsight I shouldn't have, but he kept real calm.

Next time I'll mention what I'm doing first.

He never asked for DOB or name either.. Didn't call in to verify my LTCH. I didn't have my wallet on me, but i was surprised that he just took my word for it.

Overall, I'm pleased with the encounter.

Next trip to Potawatomi park and zoo. Lol

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I respect him for asking you to cover it instead of ordering you to. Sounds like you both did everything right, except for yanking on your holster ;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    BTW what happen to the Jackwagon in your back yard?

Nothing. Truck was towed because no proof of ownership (paper plate and the guy said it was his uncles truck. They were unable to confirm ownership) Filed it with my homeowners ins and did all the work myself.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    No, he didn't freak out. Like I mentioned, in hindsight I shouldn't have, but he kept real calm.

Next time I'll mention what I'm doing first.

He never asked for DOB or name either.. Didn't call in to verify my LTCH. I didn't have my wallet on me, but i was surprised that he just took my word for it.

Overall, I'm pleased with the encounter.

Next trip to Potawatomi park and zoo. Lol

I think most cops truly know that if you are OC a firearm the likelihood of you being a bad guy are very very slim

:+1:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Sounds like a good responce. The only thing I would have liked would be to have the callers educated on the IC's about carry. I get to playing with my son here in Lafayette with my Para in a Paddle holster. I'm surprised I have not had a MWAG called on me.

Overall it sounds like it was a good experience.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    <officer>: well, as you can imagine, when some folks see others carrying, they get scared and call us to come check it out. Now I know it's your choice to carry how you want, but if you were to un-tuck your shirt and cover it, it would help cut down on calls to us for stuff like this.
    So would telling the public who called each and every time that OC is legal and there's no cause for concern if the individual isn't threatening anyone with it.

Otherwise, sounds like a good encounter.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Unfortunately, we can try and tell people on the phone that carrying the gun isn't illegal, but we have to respond if they demand an officer. Better yet, they can also tell us the MWAG is "suspicious" and wants him checked out. I agree, reaching for the gun was a bad idea.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Unfortunately, we can try and tell people on the phone that carrying the gun isn't illegal, but we have to respond if they demand an officer. Better yet, they can also tell us the MWAG is "suspicious" and wants him checked out. I agree, reaching for the gun was a bad idea.

Well, not really. If a woman is demanding an officer because the gal behind the counter at McDonald's screwed up her order, I know for a fact the dispatcher can tell the hysterical woman to go pound sand*. That said, I do understand that the characterization of the "witness" calling 9-1-1 is questionable at best and prudence dictates at least a drive-by. However, there is nothing in either of those statements that negates my first post. If we started responding to the panicked public in ways that didn't feed their panic, if responding officers could also "educate" the public about the legalities as much as they try to educate the gun-toters about the niceties, maybe, a big maybe, but maybe nonetheless, maybe we could get to a point where there were fewer calls wasting everybody's time.

*I concede this may be department/jurisdiction-dependent.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Well, not really. If a woman is demanding an officer because the gal behind the counter at McDonald's screwed up her order, I know for a fact the dispatcher can tell the hysterical woman to go pound sand*. That said, I do understand that the characterization of the "witness" calling 9-1-1 is questionable at best and prudence dictates at least a drive-by. However, there is nothing in either of those statements that negates my first post. If we started responding to the panicked public in ways that didn't feed their panic, if responding officers could also "educate" the public about the legalities as much as they try to educate the gun-toters about the niceties, maybe, a big maybe, but maybe nonetheless, maybe we could get to a point where there were fewer calls wasting everybody's time.

*I concede this may be department/jurisdiction-dependent.

I realize it would probably not be practical, be a further drain on resources, etc. but it would be great if the loop could be closed for the "concerned" citizen.

Top Bottom