• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I don't blame Glock for not "innovating" in the sense it is used today. I'm not a fan boy, and don't even own one. I will concede that they work. They're just not for me.
    If you're producing an effective and durable product designed to accomplish a specific task and it does it, why change it? From a manufacturing standpoint that's expensive all the way around.

I think we're at a stagnation point with firearms development. Everything we see now as improvements are now add-ons to existing platforms (red dots), capacity tweaks, or trigger snobbery. Small bits of improvement to keep sales up. Some people just have to have the newest thing.

I'm not about to replace any small single stacks I have with their double stack equivalent just because someone told me it's better. If I felt adequately armed with them two years ago, they're fine now.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    A gun like the glock 19 that is in use in many law enforcement circles and could/should have won the military contract is hardly obsolete. I have both the guns mentioned and as hard as it is for me to day, i shoot the Glock far better than the sig. Both fill a purpose and each has its fans. I have hated Glocks for many years, and I originally only purchased to match mags with a carbine I have. Now having shot it and gotten used to it, I carry it more often than my HK's which I am a fan of. For that matter wheelguns are even more obsolete, but I carry them often as well. The operator is much more dependent on performance than the weapon.

Jay Gnome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The O word has been tossed about a lot lately due to the availability of larger capacity micro guns. Tim, over on the Military Arms Channel has been suggesting that the Glock 19 is now obsolete due to the availability of the 17 round Sig P365 Macro. What does INGO say on that matter?

From my perspective, if a handgun has quality ammo available, is reliable and can be mastered with practice, then it is a viable weapon for carry if it suits the need. By suit the need, I mean that a .22lr Derringer has its use, but it’s not suited for use as a primary duty weapon. Similarly, a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag is a great weapon in the back country but it would be tough to conceal in a gun unfriendly environment.

To that end, there are very few obsolete guns out there today. Merriam-Webster defines obsolete as having no use or not current. Any gun still manufactured does not meet the ‘Not current’ test. Any handgun that has ammo available, and is reliable in function, does not meet the ‘no use’ qualifier.

But, the new wonder micros sure do push some older guns out of the limelight though. 17+1 in a smaller, thinner, lighter package does make a Glock 19 less appealing if you can shoot it just as well.
    Obsolete is thrown around too much. I have only one double stack pistol and otherwise its all single stacks and revolvers (none of which are more than 6 rounds). They could all easily put a hole in something and accurately, which is almost all that matters. If somebody calls one thing obsolete due to a couple rounds difference then they are wrongheaded about the whole thing.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Obsolete implies a purpose of use. Obsolete for what?

The Glock 19 and P365 are different classes of handguns, imho.

A more appropriate comparison might be the G26 to the P365, or the G43 (variants) to the P365.

Even so, there are attributes other than physical dimensions and capacity that determine a handgun's utility.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the OP and MAC meant obsolete from a manufacturing standpoint. I assumed that anyway....

You are right about options. It really is amazing how many reliable, accurate and affordable firearms exist in the EDC and "duty" sectors.
    Just for the record, I was not agreeing with Mac. I like his videos but don't always agree with his conclusions. If you can get (or make) bullets for it and it's safe to shoot, it's not obsolete. It may no longer be the best answer to whatever question is being asked, but it is still an answer.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not really sure why the 365 Macro would make the 19 obsolete.

It is marginally different in size, shoots the same round, marginally different in weight, cost more money. I don't think there is anything so special about it that it's going to make the 19 obsolete.

Micro double stacks will definitely not eliminate the need for a 19 size pistol. The 19 size pistol will be way more shootable than any micro size.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have what some would say is obsolete; a S&W Shield. Actually I have two; a Shield 2.0 and a Shield +.

I'm sure people are thinking why have a lower capacity Shield when you can have a few more rounds? The + effectively makes the "regular" Shield obsolete.

I disagree.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    From 68 year old man. A gun is a tool whether its rifle, shotgun, handgun. Modern powder or black powder. The sole purpose of a gun is survival. Protection against two and four legged creatures. To put meat in the pot.
    A tool just like a carpenter would not use a framing hammer to install trim but they could. Killing a squirrel with a shotgun slug is over kill but it will. Thats the reason I have more than one gun. Depended on the circumstances I carry what is suitable (a shotgun for CCW is not suitable). A 75 year old S&W model 10 will protect you is it obsolete. If its in mechanical shape yep.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I wouldn't. Never would have. I know Glocks are good, reliable guns, but the ergonomics are just all wrong for me.
    This^^^

But also I am on the lookout for an “obsolete” handgun (CZ 2075 D Rami) just because I want one. But it would also go in my EDC rotation.

Top Bottom