• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It is REALLY cold out there, especially in the wind. The animals are mostly hiding in their sheds. Even the dogs aren't going out for long.

I can't wait until 4 when I get to do it all again.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I use minimal beans in my chili. One 16 ounce can in a batch with 2 lbs of meat. Some places in Texas I've read that they serve beans on the side.

I use these:
    View attachment 325689
    Because that's what my Mom used.

I don't do really spicy foods so my chili is pretty mild. Green peppers, onions, lots of diced tomatoes. I use both pork sausage and hamburger, with about 1.5 pounds hamburger and 1/2 pound pork sausage. Black and red cayenne pepper and chili powder.

I eat my chili with Fritos in it.
    That's our go to. The recall was rough a while ago.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I make small batches of chili because it's mostly me that eats it. Daughter will have 1 bowl out of the batch and wife doesn't like chili.

I use this combo of beans and diced tomatoes. Usually add a small can of tomato sauce as well. Then I use wolf brand chili seasoning. 1# ground beef or steak for the meat. Most times will make cornbread to go with but oyster crackers work too

20240114_115849.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't use chili beans or chili tomatoes. Just kidney beans and plain tomatoes and I season it myself. That being said, we like our chili fairly bland. Lots of beans, lots of sauteed onions, ground beef, and a couple of large cans of tomatoes. I add salt, pepper, and some chili powder with garlic mix I bought. I think it's McCormick's.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've been achy and lethargic for over 24 hours. I slept 16/24 hours yesterday felt like crashing again last night. Runny nose and a hacking cough. Woke up today sleeping 14 hours. This can be done anytime.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    When DK makes chili he will get all the “regular “ stuff he uses going in the crockpot, and when it’s “ready” I take what I want out, then he puts in his beans and makes it spicier.

I won’t eat beans and can’t tolerate the same heat he can.

I’ll be making lemon rice soup today and maybe some Irish potato soup tomorrow.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Just tried to go run some errands, garage door doesn’t wanna open. What an excuse to tell the wife haha
    I was stationed at the Great Lake Naval Hospital several years ago. One frigid morning, like today, a nurse failed to show up for work. When they sent someone to check on her, they found her body in the garage. Apparently, she had started her car, to warm it up, in the garage and then she discovered the door would not open. She apparently spent several minutes struggling to open it. She was overcome by CO poisoning.
    Since then, I rarely start the car without opening the door first.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I was stationed at the Great Lake Naval Hospital several years ago. One frigid morning, like today, a nurse failed to show up for work. When they sent someone to check on her, they found her body in the garage. Apparently, she had started her car, to warm it up, in the garage and then she discovered the door would not open. She apparently spent several minutes struggling to open it. She was overcome by CO poisoning.
    Good lesson in cold weather to remember.

Blaster89

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Northwest Indiana
    That’s terrible. I’ve always opened the door before starting my car. Even told the wife that since she backs in and her car is right by the door of the house.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom