• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a way to do data transmissions from PC to PC over HAMs? i could have swore i saw something in the linux kernel related to this some years ago

Yes your right. It's called packet. It's what was in Vietnam. Top secret. You can send and entire page of reading in less than 2 seconds. Then it was very technical. Today cell users call it text.
    N9QKN

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Kinda like the opposite of OPSEC?

;)

You know it.

I like APRS. It's fun. You can easily switch it off.

Right now I have nothing formal planned. I'm no teacher but I figure a few youtube videos and some practical demonstrations will do ;)

Maybe some practice technician exams?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I had to check if I have wheels available on the 4th, but I'm ok. I have my General ticket, and I'll be happy to come over and help.

73's

Sounds good. I have my Icom V/UHF handheld and a Yaesu that has seen better days.

http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/valparaiso-in-46383-4820-14

2/11 is the next exam session in Valpo at the Library in town. Sessions start at 9am and they shut up shop when everyone has tested.

You need to get there at 9am on the dot or you may miss your chance.

http://aa9pw.com/radio/technician/

Here's the question pool. Take these practice exams a few times and see how you do, and it'll give you an idea of what to work on.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    NapalmFTW, just make yourself some notes to organize your thoughts. We understand that this is informal. Tell us what HAM radio is, what it isn't, legal aspects, licensing requirements, basic equipment class/types, etc. I'll have questions about cost, performance expectations, licensing, etc. Hope that helps.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    NapalmFTW, just make yourself some notes to organize your thoughts. We understand that this is informal. Tell us what HAM radio is, what it isn't, legal aspects, licensing requirements, basic equipment class/types, etc. I'll have questions about cost, performance expectations, licensing, etc. Hope that helps.

Sounds good.. :)

I'll have something by the time it comes around for sure.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Yes your right. It's called packet. It's what was in Vietnam. Top secret. You can send and entire page of reading in less than 2 seconds. Then it was very technical. Today cell users call it text.
    N9QKN

cool, did not know that!

this is what i was looking for, but the name and the concept was eluding me

The hInternet

basically using modified 2.4ghz or 5ghz WiFi access points on the ham frequencies and being capable of using higher powered amplifiers for the radios. you know, in case SOPA or PIPA rears it's ugly head again

(don't mean to threadjack, but it is getting me a bit interested, so i may take you up on your next class)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Looks like Ham radio is really starting to take off here. Perhaps some one should contact an admin/mod about adding a Ham radio section?

Also some one said something about practice tests. Check his out

www.qrz.com/ht

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I will do a Fort Wayne training session with a radio buy in the future. It may have to be on a week night as my weekends are filling up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Good news for central Indiana

ONE DAY TECH CLASS SCHEDULED

The Mid-state ARC has scheduled an 8-hour Technician License Class for February 11, 2012. This entry level amateur radio license class will begin at 8AM and end with a 35-question exam. The class is free but we recommend you purchase the ARRL "Ham Radio License Manual".

The book is available on-line at: American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO in the Licensing and Education section.
    Please read and review this workbook before coming to class on February 11th. We have a lot of material to cover in a short time.

Class size is limited. Please register at secretary@midstatehams.org

Again, the class begins at 8AM in the training room of the Johnson County Sheriff's office. Food and snacks will be provided for class members. We look forward to welcoming you into the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio.

Jack Parker, W8ISH
    Class Coordinator

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    I would like to attend the Ham Radio demonstration on Feb 4th if there is room. Please put me on the waiting list. I know nothing about Ham but would like to learn.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I would like to attend the Ham Radio demonstration on Feb 4th if there is room. Please put me on the waiting list. I know nothing about Ham but would like to learn.

You got the "last spot" but I might be able to open it up more just don't think I can fit all the many more people.

shootfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Sounds like its going to be a good time, to bad i cant make this one! I'll be in California!! Hope everyone learns ham radio. :rockwoot:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    In the future if you guys want to hold a bigger class for this or other survival minded training stuff, PM me and we can get a larger location to use without any problems or expense... For a fee there would be food available too... See you guys this saturday...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There might not be another one since our instructor is leaving us for Indy. :faint:
    That TRAITOR!
    But I did not think we were going to have this much of an interest to begin with.
    We might have to hold another one down the year as well.
    Who knows by then we might have more members with license.
    I'm taking the test on 11 FEB 12 at the Valpo library.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom