• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I received alot of excellent feedback on my question of "how young is too young to shoot?". Now, my next question is what is best for them to shoot? I've let them shoot my XD sub-compact 9mm and my XD 45 (they asked about my Kimber and I told them "NO WAY"). I've also been looking at a Ruger 10/22 that my son fell in love with. I'm not knowledgable with long guns but I'm learning. I'd like to have one for myself also.:):

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I didn't read the other thread but midway or brownells sells a youth stock for a 10/22 so he/she could grow into it and get alot of use out of it!

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    They wife is not happy with me for the idea of buying my kids rifles. I'm gonna have to wear her down..:chillout:

SundayShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Hancock County
    A good option is an "AR" style .22 rifle like the S&W M&P15-22. Since it has a multi-position stock, length of pull can be adjusted to fit most shooters(even children).

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    23465_10150170136635331_638175330_11945065_5944614_n.jpg

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    She was like 5 months old. She is 3 now. My youngest daughter gets hers in about 3 weeks. She has to wait til her first birthday.

My wife was pretty cool with it but she didn't know I bought it until that christmas morning.:D

coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    my son is 9 and my daughters are 13 and 7. all three have fired every gun i own. my son is an exceptional shot with scoped rifles. i think that a lot of talk about what will happen when the trigger is pulled is very important. first about the deadly effects of a bullet and second about what to expect to feel physically after the trigger is pulled. we started off having little competition shoots in the yard with pellet guns so i could teach the mechanics of handling a firearm. it also gives YOU a chance to see how responsible they will be about walking with safety on, and where the muzzle is pointed when the gun is not being fired.

coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    slightly off topic but i read in this months issue of American rifleman that a man broke into a house and was assaulting a woman and her son emerged with his 22 and shot the man. the man returned fire hitting the child in the leg but the 11 year old boy critically injured the assailant and they had to airlift him to the hospital.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    My preference for younger kids (ages 8 or less) is a bolt action .22 rifle; this gives them a good, solid shooting experience, and forces them to 'slow down' and develop good shooting skills, form, and safety.

After that (and it's up to you as a parent, really to determine when that is, but generally I've experienced around 10 or 11), it's time to move them up to a semi-auto .22 rifle allowing them to experience something more exciting; then introduce shotguns and handguns as their skills develop.

This staggered approach keeps them interested long term, gives them something to look forward to and earn, and let's them refine their skills in each discipline.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My preference for younger kids (ages 8 or less) is a bolt action .22 rifle; this gives them a good, solid shooting experience, and forces them to 'slow down' and develop good shooting skills, form, and safety.

After that (and it's up to you as a parent, really to determine when that is, but generally I've experienced around 10 or 11), it's time to move them up to a semi-auto .22 rifle allowing them to experience something more exciting; then introduce shotguns and handguns as their skills develop.

This staggered approach keeps them interested long term, gives them something to look forward to and earn, and let's them refine their skills in each discipline.
    Good advice Greg :yesway::yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom