• ...and so much more!
  • Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I’m new to AR ownership and looking for your personal experience with Norma .223 55gr tactical vs buying 5.56 55gr. I’m curious as to why it’s so expensive? Also, If my gun is sighted in with 5.56 green tip at 100 yds will it pattern the same on paper with the Norma .223?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No. Greentip is 62 grain and the Norma is 55 grain. Even if they were to have the same muzzle velocity they would pattern differently due to terminal ballistic effects. The differences likely would not become apparent until after 150 yards, though

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Thank you, that makes sense. Upon more research I learned Norma is just lake city loaded to .223 specs. In my opinion it’s just overpriced. I originally thought there might be something special about it, besides the price

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I've shot Norma 223 and federal 5.56 55gr XM193 through my ruger 5.56 bolt action. groups were different , but not by much. the big difference was the speed. the federal averaged 3150fps as expected. Norma claims their 223 tactical to be 3240fps. not even close. averaged 2840 for me. 16.5" barrel. fwiw, I prefer 5.56 over 223 just for the extra 300-400 fps.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you, that makes sense. Upon more research I learned Norma is just lake city loaded to .223 specs. In my opinion it’s just overpriced. I originally thought there might be something special about it, besides the price
    You might want to research the bullet they use. There are some (slight) advantages if it is longer than a standard 55 grain pill or has a more complex aerodynamic shape - but again that would only become apparent at longer ranges, and a heavy for class projectile like a 77 would have even more benefits so you may be right, it could just be a gimmick

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    what price are you seeing on the norma? only place I've seen overcharge for it is rural king and their ridiculous 88 cents per round.

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    what price are you seeing on the norma? only place I've seen overcharge for it is rural king and their ridiculous 88 cents per round.
    Yes, I saw rural king was high buck so I figured there had to be something great about it. U can find it online for .50 ish a round if u keep an eye out. Which is still overpriced to me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, if you're new to the AR platform, there's a lot of information in the "Ammo Oracle" on M193 and M855 kinds of loads (kind of/sort of broadly applicable to FMJ loads in general), their terminal effects, velocity, barrel twist rate effects, etc. here:

Of course, the new hotness are expanding/barrier blind bullets - which are, of course, more expensive. Some more info of those can be found in the rifle ammunition section here:

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    OP, if you're new to the AR platform, there's a lot of information in the "Ammo Oracle" on M193 and M855 kinds of loads (kind of/sort of broadly applicable to FMJ loads in general), their terminal effects, velocity, barrel twist rate effects, etc. here:

Of course, the new hotness are expanding/barrier blind bullets - which are, of course, more expensive. Some more info of those can be found in the rifle ammunition section here:

Thank you sir, that’s a very informative page.

Top Bottom