• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I see some pics of knives with paracord(?) etc looped though the handle like a lanyard. Please don't laugh, but is there a purpose to this, or is it for looks????:dunno:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Retention on your wrist. The last thing you want for a knife to do when chopping is to bounce out of your hand and cut something.

Some folders have them to help remove it from your pocket quicker. A fob on the end of a small knife can also serve as an extension on the knifes handle.

Plus 550 chord is handy stuff, so some guys try to stash it on as much stuff as possible, for emergency use.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Thanks, fellas! Kinda what I was thinking? Especialy for Wrist Retention! Where can a fella obtain some? How about leather???:dunno:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    You can get it anywhere on the internet, just look up 550 or paracord in Google. Don't get too worried about buying mil-spec if you're just going to wrap it around your wrist, it will all work fine. Knifemaker supply sites sell it by the foot.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't know where you're located but the Army Navy store on Indianapolis' east side carries lots of different styles of 550 paracord. They also sell it at the 1500 gun show.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know everyone has a different style and I'm fairly new to knives and choppers, but I like to tie a Turk's Head slip knot lanyard where you can put your hand through and tighten the knot around your wrist to give you a good hold on the knife handle. Here's a good picture of one on my RAT3. I'm sure others may have better or different styles but this has worked well for me.

RAT3withKryptoglowScales.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Retention on your wrist. The last thing you want for a knife to do when chopping is to bounce out of your hand and cut something.

Some folders have them to help remove it from your pocket quicker. A fob on the end of a small knife can also serve as an extension on the knifes handle.

Plus 550 chord is handy stuff, so some guys try to stash it on as much stuff as possible, for emergency use.

This ^^

Also some are just for looks to be honest. :D

Another thing is to help you find the knife should you drop it (bright orange paracord or reflective cord) at night or in the middle of tall grass.

Top Bottom