(NooB) AR-15 Red Dot with Factory Frontsight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is the factory front sight of an AR a problem while using optics, I notice quite a few ARs Military and other was have optics (ACOG excluded) while maintaining the standard front sights. While on the other hand the market is flooded with replacement front flip up sights. My question is, are the flip ups necessary or does the standard sight suffice?:ar15:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Is the factory front sight of an AR a problem while using optics, I notice quite a few ARs Military and other was have optics (ACOG excluded) while maintaining the standard front sights. While on the other hand the market is flooded with replacement front flip up sights. My question is, are the flip ups necessary or does the standard sight suffice?:ar15:

The standard FSB is not a problem, and in fact the best choice for your front sight. Unless you are going with a long free float rail that covers the gas block, I'd stick with it.

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for that, I'd always wondered if the sight would cause problems but since it's what it was built and designed for it doesn't shock me that it is fine to keep.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    My picture is a little off but with my riser, which is a lower 1/3 mount, the red dot sits just a little bit above the front sight post. Most people go this route when mounting optics. It works great for me. I love it
    005-2.jpg

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    As was stated above, "most" Ar guys like the lower 1/3 co-witness. Personally I like an absolute co-witness that leaves the dot sitting at the top of my front sight blade. There are tons of photos out there that show both.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Personally I like an absolute co-witness that leaves the dot sitting at the top of my front sight blade.

The dot will still sit on top of the front sight blade with lower 1/3 cowitness when you are looking through both irons, but the entire FSB just sits lower in the optic window.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To me, it's a personal preference. I put a red dot on an ar that had a fixed front and I hated it. The front sight just cluttered up my view and I couldn't stand it. Years later I got an amazing deal on another ar and I had a folding front sight gas block installed on it and I love that. Basically I have one setup like a colt 6940 and I think thats the way to go.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    The dot will still sit on top of the front sight blade with lower 1/3 cowitness when you are looking through both irons, but the entire FSB just sits lower in the optic window.

When I first tried yours out, I must not have been looking through it correctly. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When I first tried yours out, I must not have been looking through it correctly. :D

You probably weren't looking at it through both the iron sights, aka "co-witnessing".

With a lower 1/3, the dot will appear to float above the front sight post when looked through normally. But when you co-witness it will indeed sit right on top of the post.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You probably weren't looking at it through both the iron sights, aka "co-witnessing".

With a lower 1/3, the dot will appear to float above the front sight post when looked through normally. But when you co-witness it will indeed sit right on top of the post.

I'm not sure I believe you, I say we settle this by shooting over some open water. :D

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    one more question, My ar has a factory rear sight. I like it alot. If i put a red dot sight in front of it, will I still be able to see through the red dot sight . Basically, does anyone have a front and back ironsight with a red dot combo? If somone has any pictures that would be much appreciated. I dont want to pay 50 bucks for a good flip up rear sight..

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    those pics look nice, and I notice that those scopes are raised a little bit. The scope I plan on buying will be lower, pretty much in line with the rear and front sight.

Top Bottom