• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Husband and I haven't had our kayak out for a while. We noticed that Lake Cicott now has a Public Access site, and would like to go there. We don't have this year's watercraft sticker, and nowhere nearby to buy one, it seems. Is it required for that site? I have searched, but haven't found any answers, and of course the DNR main office is closed, so i can't call. If I need one, if i purchase it online today, and have proof, will that suffice?
    Thanks!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This is what I saw that concerns me:

LAKE PERMITS

There are no longer daily or annual boat launch fees for lakes at state parks, state-managed lakes and state forests. These launch fees have been replaced by a DNR Lake Permit. Read about the change.
    All private watercraft using a state park lake, state-managed lake or state forest lake must have this permit. This includes personal watercraft, motorboats, canoes, paddleboats, rowboats and all watercraft moored at marinas, private docks, group docks or bank ties.
    This permit should be placed on any boat that will be on the water at Indiana state parks, state-managed lakes or state forests.

• Parks and Lakes: Includes the main bodies of water and all fishing ponds/lakes at Patoka Lake, Brookville Lake, Hardy Lake, Monroe Lake, Salamonie Lake, Lieber (Cagles Mill Lake), Mississinewa Lake, Worster Lake at Potato Creek State Park, Kunkel Lake at Ouabache State Park, Raccoon Lake (Cecil M. Harden), Summit Lake at Summit Lake State Park, Versailles Lake at Versailles State Park, Ogle and Strahl lakes at Brown County State Park, lakes Shakamak, Lenape and Kickapoo at Shakamak State Park, all lakes at Chain O’Lakes State Park, Spring Mill Lake at Spring Mill State Park, Whitewater Lake at Whitewater State Park, and Lake Lincoln and Weber Lake at Lincoln State Park.
    • State Forest Properties:All, including Deam Lake, Ferdinand, Starve Hollow, Harrison-Crawford, Clark, Greene-Sullivan, Jackson-Washington, Martin, Morgan-Monroe, Owen-Putnam, Pike and Yellowwood.
    Permits can be purchased through DNR's online Mother Nature's Mercantile. They are available at the property offices and entrance gates (when staffed) at state parks, reservoirs and forests; and at the DNR Customer Service Center in the Indiana Government Center in downtown Indianapolis.

• $25 annual Lake Permit required for all privately owned motorized boats and seaplanes using or mooring at state parks, state-managed lakes and state forests, good for one calendar year.
    • $5 annual Lake Permit required for all privately owned, non-motorized boats using or moored at state parks, state-managed lakes and state forests.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If a lake has a public access site- one of those brown signs similar to what are at state parks- is it state managed? I'm not worried about the $5 fee, it's just that we'd have to drive to the nearest state park to get one, unless i can use proof of purchase online. The fine for not having one is $130. I completely forgot about possibly needing one until husband mentioned it this morning!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Wow...I had never heard that. We don't go to state parks with our boats though.

If you do it online, I would assume you could print a receipt that shows you paid and take that with you until you get the sticker or whatever they are issuing to you.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If a lake has a public access site- one of those brown signs similar to what are at state parks- is it state managed?

See, not all DNR managed properties fall in this category, so it's weird. In my experience, EVERY lake that I have been to where it is required, it is posted right next to or below said DNR site signs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I missed the "state managed lakes" part of that when I first read it. Aren't all lakes with public access "state managed" by the DNR? I have even seen them on private lakes checking for fishing licenses and such.

The only registration we have ever gotten for our boats is the one through the BMV and we go on quite a few lakes with public access sites. None in state parks, but plenty that appear to be state managed. I wonder if they are just applying it to reservoirs based on the way things are worded in the DNR info that was posted above.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I missed the "state managed lakes" part of that when I first read it. Aren't all lakes with public access "state managed" by the DNR? I have even seen them on private lakes checking for fishing licenses and such.

The only registration we have ever gotten for our boats is the one through the BMV and we go on quite a few lakes with public access sites. None in state parks, but plenty that appear to be state managed. I wonder if they are just applying it to reservoirs based on the way things are worded in the DNR info that was posted above.

I know- it's kinda confusing to me.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Yea, it doesn't make much sense. There are state managed waterways that it isn't required on.

Not all lakes are state managed, such as the lakes in the Hoosier National Forest (Celina, Indian, Tipsaw, Saddle).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Please let us know if you get clarification on this at some point. I would think if it is not on a state managed property (park, reservoir or forest), you don't need it based on the way the one sentence reads. If the property has an entrance staff or property office, that could be what they mean by state managed. They patrol public lakes and stock them, etc, but they are not managed on a daily basis.

Seems like a valid argument anyway if an officer actually questioned the absence of a sticker on your kayak in a public lake not on one of their properties.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Please let us know if you get clarification on this at some point. I would think if it is not on a state managed property (park, reservoir or forest), you don't need it based on the way the one sentence reads. If the property has an entrance staff or property office, that could be what they mean by state managed. They patrol public lakes and stock them, etc, but they are not managed on a daily basis.

Seems like a valid argument anyway if an officer actually questioned the absence of a sticker on your kayak in a public lake not on one of their properties.

There are properties it is required on with no entrance office or staff. Like I said, it is just nonsense.

They should just make everyone pay a certain amount for all waterways, or not.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There are properties it is required on with no entrance office or staff. Like I said, it is just nonsense.

They should just make everyone pay a certain amount for all waterways, or not.

Agreed. And there should be some way for the BMV to inform people that there may be other permits required through the DNR for their watercraft. That had never even entered my mind. We register them with the BMV and get our fishing license, and it never entered my mind that there may be other permits needed for the boats.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've never understood non motorized pleasure craft. I prefer my boats and bikes to have motors...I'm lazy like that:laugh:

I prefer not to have to row my boat....some of those lakes we fish are rather large. I did notice that the DNR permit applies to motorized boats as well.

Top Bottom